Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would bet she's upset with minutes much like Jaylon Tyson. This is the new reality of college sports. Highly ranked FR want immediate minutes and they will transfer if they don't get those minutes. 

You don’t get minutes if you don’t play defense.  End of story 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

You don’t get minutes if you don’t play defense.  End of story 

Yup. I think Hunter needs more minutes but I get that Schaefer is trying to teach young players what it takes to win in his system. 

Either way, this is just the new reality of college sports and it's going to benefit Texas more than it hurts Texas IMO. The way Texas is adding transfers in volleyball, men's basketball, soccer, and women's basketball should already prove this. 

Texas is going to lose some quality players to the portal but they're going to add plenty of quality in return. I laughed at this comment on the volleyball forum. 

"Honestly I hate this whole concept of teams building super rosters. This is getting out of hand if they get Hord too (and no I’m not just saying this bc it’s texas)"

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

KU is pretty good and comes to town on Wednesday 

I'm not taking anyone for granted after Texas Tech but Kansas has only played two top 50 teams (per NET) and lost to both by double digits. 

They're 9-2 but they haven't really played anybody other than Tennessee and OU. Their best win is Vanderbilt who is #63 in NET and after that they don't have another top 100 win. 

Also of note, the Princeton win is going to be nice at the end of the year. Princeton could very well run the table in the Ivy and they're already #41 in NET. That's probably going to end up as a quad 1 win. 

Right now we are 4-1 in quad 1 (w vs aggy, w vs Princeton, w vs Stanford, w vs Oklahoma State, and L vs Tennessee). That's the beauty of playing true road games. Princeton, aggy, and Oklahoma State aren't spectacular but on the road those might still end up being quad 1 wins. 

There are also going to be a ton of opportunities for quad 1 wins this year in the Big 12. Way more than normal. Based on the current NET rankings, there are still 10 more quad 1 games in the Big 12. 

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would bet she's upset with minutes much like Jaylon Tyson. This is the new reality of college sports. Highly ranked FR want immediate minutes and they will transfer if they don't get those minutes. 

Hunter has had one great game but after that nothing spectacular. She was out for quite a while with the ankle(?) injury
so that didn't help her find her rhythm. After the first game she hasn't been shooting that well nor is she contributing
significantly in other areas. She looks like a typical freshman on a team with older better players at her position. Vic has given
her good minutes for where she is presently. (20 at Okie State 8 days ago) I think she will be a good guard for us but she is still learning D1 ball.
Her bestie is getting national freshman of the week accolades so that doesn't help but Rori's numbers are dropping as well.
I'm ok with players moving around if they think they will do better at a different location but the freshman thinking they should
be getting the better performing upperclassman's minutes is getting old (Tyson). By the time they transfer and get settled they could have been
 a major contributor at the old school. Vic is a great coach, let him make you a great player. More minutes at smaller school won't help your career much.

You get the feeling coaches now have to balance playing younger players more minutes which could jeopardize the win to keep them from leaving.

Stay Kyndall, you will be getting big minutes next year at a great school under a great coach. The uncertainty elsewhere is far greater.

hunter.jpg

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

We look sluggish - some sloppy turnovers, not finishing and missing wide open players.  Vic may need to dial it back in practice a tad, we look tired. KU is pretty good and comes to town on Wednesday 

I enjoyed the win but not near as much as if it was early in the season. Didn't see much that made me think we have improved and the outcome of the Tech game would have been different. Just had our way with shorter, less talented players. Still didn't look great in the post, Lattimore looks shaky and Moore is getting better but looked tired to me as well. Need to make our shots in the post or get to the line trying like Tech did. Then make the dang free throws.

aggy's next 4 games include @ South Carolina (#1 NET), Auburn (#95 NET), Ole Miss (#38 NET), @ Missouri (#44 NET). 

That will be 0-4 in the SEC after the South Carolina game. They really need to win those next 3 games or they're in big trouble in terms of making the tournament. I'm not sure they can beat Ole Miss or Missouri right now. 

Wed-Sat-Fri-Sun-Wed-Sat

That is going to be a tough stretch.  6 games in 17 days.  A pretty good KSU team, a good OU team both on the road and then at home, Baylor twice in 3 days, and a rematch against a Tech team who pissed us off. 

Woof. 

Game 14: #13/12 Texas (11-2, 1-1 Big 12) vs Kansas (10-2, 1-1 Big 12)
Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2022 – 7:00 p.m.
Frank Erwin Center (16,540) – Austin, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts:
TELEVISION: LHN. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action.
• SERIES: Texas leads, 31-11.

BACK ON TRACK: After a disappointing 71-64 loss to Texas Tech in their Big 12 home opener last Wednesday, the No. 13/12 Texas Women's Basketball team looks to grab an important early league win Wednesday evening as they play host to Kansas inside the Frank Erwin Center (7 p.m.). The Longhorns are fresh off a 93-58 home victory over UTRGV on Sunday.

OFFENSIVE REVIVAL: After shooting a season-worst 29.2 percent (21-of-72) from the floor in last Wednesday's loss to the Lady Raiders, UT responded with a 58.8 percent (36-of-72) mark from the floor and shot 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from behind the arc in Sunday's victory over the Vaqueros. UT's 93-point outburst marked their second-highest scoring total of the year.

HOME COOKING: Wednesday's tilt marks the third of a four-game homestand for the Longhorns which began last week. UT is set wrap with West Virginia on Saturday (7 p.m.) before hitting the road for two-straight game at Iowa State (Jan.19) and TCU (Jan.22). Texas is 6-1 overall inside the confines of the Erwin Center this season.

THE SCHAEFER FORMULA: Longhorn head coach Vic Schaefer makes no secret in the way his teams have found success over the years. Relentless full court defensive pressure, attention to detail, and limiting turnovers and mistakes have been built in to the identity of his programs. The 2021-22 Longhorns are no different ranking among the best in the country in several defensive categories.  UT currently ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 27 in the NCAA holding opponents to just 54.8 points per game. They also lead the league and rank No. 6 nationally in turnovers forced at 24.3 per contest.

SCOUTING THE JAYHAWKS:  Kansas is off to a strong start this season with a 10-2 record overall and a 1-1 mark in Big 12 play. The Jayhawks have the No. 4 scoring offense in the league (76.9) and lead the Big 12 in field goal percentage (.466).

Junior guard Holly Kersgieter leads KU offensively averaging 13.2 points per contest. Aniya Thomas is second at 10.6 points per game and Zakiyah Franklin is averaging 10.4. Taiyanna Jackson leads the team on the glass averaging 7.3 rebounds per game to go along with 9.3 points offensively. Jackson ranks No.2 in the league in blocks averaging 2.2 per game.

ksched.jpg

kansasrost.jpg

KU only has 2 losses (10 points to Tennessee and blown out by OU at home).  Vanderbilt and TCU are not that good and those were close calls. 

Maybe a bit of a paper tiger but they are #41 in NET and they have a lot of height to throw at us. 

Score 76.9 ppg and give up 61.3 ppg
46.6% shooting overall, 34.7% from three and 77% from the line - very solid numbers, but expected against that schedule

Not a good rebounding team - actually get outrebounded by 0.3 (38.6 to 38.3)
Also average 17.4 turnovers per game - gonna have a bad time against Vic's defense

Need to watch Vuksic (51.6%) the most behind the three point line, but also Kersgieter (35%) and Brosseau (39.4%)

Ziyah Franklin is very solid with the ball (47 assists to 27 turnovers), it's everyone else who has issues.  Taiyanna Jackson has 26 blocks, she's a force inside at 6'6. 

• Like 1