Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kersgeiter is killing Warren. 

This loss is on Schaefer playing older players that aren't any good. Stop playing Warren and Ebo. Go young. 

Warren should play but not as much as she is….She’s obviously tired 

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That was a truly weird game from her. It wasn't just mistakes it was like she couldn't stand up all night or even dribble. 

Actually worried about her health based on her history with concussions. 

I’m beginning to think you are right. Not a typical game from her by any measure, poor decision making and looked unsteady physically. Not good. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would expect more losses. It’s going to be a hard conference season 

Sadly not the year we hoped for nor expected. Time to readjust the goals for this team.

maybe like ts12 says play the youth to get them experience. Hunter never got on the floor, hopefully no drama from that.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Sadly not the year we hoped for nor expected. Time to readjust the goals for this team.

maybe like ts12 says play the youth to get them experience. Hunter never got on the floor, hopefully no drama from that.

Without serious buy in, I don’t see hunter here long term. She didn’t come to sit on the bench while our offense needs her 

31 minutes ago, torre said:

I checked the stats,  looking for attendance (could'nt find)    Really, poor,  don't you all think  ?    Weekday game understood,  but no home court advantage for sure.   No marketing hype with giveaways, etc.

Capture.PNG

What jumps out is the +13 free throws.  Not so much that Texas should have had more, but Kansas should have had fewer.  

7 hours ago, torre said:

I checked the stats,  looking for attendance (could'nt find)    Really, poor,  don't you all think  ?    Weekday game understood,  but no home court advantage for sure.   No marketing hype with giveaways, etc.

I'm just speculating here, but perhaps the fact that students are still on break, and we are in the middle of a COVID surge had a little impact on attendance.    

• Hook 'Em 1

We finally shot over 40% at 41% for the game. - Kansas shot 49%.
3 pointers OK at 38%, free throws poor at 62.5%
Out-rebounded them, assists and blocks about even.
We both had 23 turnovers which is terrible, Harmon with 4 of those and Warren with 7.

Kansas is a tough team 11-2, they shoot and defend well.
This was a close game that went into overtime, any little thing goes our way and it's a win.

Our biggest issue this game I think was that Harmon and Matharu both were in foul trouble a large part of the game.
Matharu is by far our best scorer and she needs to stay on the floor so they both need to adjust their
defense to avoid sitting on the bench. Matharu in an overtime game played only 11 minutes (with 11 points), if she plays all game I think we win.
Harmon, like JS1 says, appears to have hit the rookie wall but she did have 7 assist to go with her 4 turnovers.
As per TS12 Warren did seem out of sorts, she and Harmon both threw directly to defenders (had the 7 turns) and she ended up
doing un-Warren like things looking shaky all game.

Our biggest issue overall though is we seem to have only one solid post player in Gaston. Ebo is a liability, not physically gifted, but neither Moore (2 turns, 1 point, 2 fouls in 10 minutes) nor Lattimore have looked good against B12 opponents. They do need game time to develop but Moore finally being healthy just when B12 play started hurt her development and ties Vic's hands not wanting her to learn when he is in tight games.
Wish we could play small more with Gaston, JAT, Harmon, Matharu, and Warren if she's right, but above all Matharu needs to stay on the floor.

We are offensively challenged so if we can't score from our defense our best shooter has to stay on the floor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, not going anywhere in postseason.  Vic needs to do what's best for next year -- player development for the younger players...

I wouldn't go that far. The same thing was said about last year's team and then they went on an elite 8 run. 

Schaefer's teams are built for the tournament. It definitely helps with development but also the ceiling is just much higher with the young players. I'm not sure why people are already bailing on our postseason chances after watching last season. 

38 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wouldn't go that far. The same thing was said about last year's team and then they went on an elite 8 run. 

Schaefer's teams are built for the tournament. It definitely helps with development but also the ceiling is just much higher with the young players. I'm not sure why people are already bailing on our postseason chances after watching last season. 

Hope you're right, and I'll be cheering them on...

But problems inside especially rebounding, plus a smaller front court causes a lot of problems for this current team.  Tech showed the formula for beating Texas this year, and lots of teams in the tournament should be able to do the same thing.

Again, hope I'm wrong, but this current Texas roster has a lot of matchup deficiencies on defense that Tourney teams will take advantage of...

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope you're right, and I'll be cheering them on...

But problems inside especially rebounding, plus a smaller front court causes a lot of problems for this current team.  Tech showed the formula for beating Texas this year, and lots of teams in the tournament should be able to do the same thing.

Again, hope I'm wrong, but this current Texas roster has a lot of matchup deficiencies on defense that Tourney teams will take advantage of...

Oh, I think there are definitely issues but Schaefer has a history of having his team playing well in March.

Last year, we really didn't turn the corner until late. There were a lot of people questioning if Texas would win a game in the tournament last season after the OU loss in late February. 

I've said this multiple times, but I view Schaefer and Beard as coaches that are better in March than they are in the regular season. IMO both are going to have seasons that are ugly with results in March. Last season's results in the tournament weren't a shocker to me......Schaefer's style of making the game ugly with a defensive approach works in March much like Beard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Oh, I think there are definitely issues but Schaefer has a history of having his team playing well in March.

Last year, we really didn't turn the corner until late. There were a lot of people questioning if Texas would win a game in the tournament last season after the OU loss in late February. 

I've said this multiple times, but I view Schaefer and Beard as coaches that are better in March than they are in the regular season. IMO both are going to have seasons that are ugly with results in March. Last season's results in the tournament weren't a shocker to me......Schaefer's style of making the game ugly with a defensive approach works in March much like Beard. 

Additionally we have some key players that are very young.

Harmon is going to grow and get her second wind.

Gaston, Moore and Lattimore all have very little experience will continue to get better and better.
The Gaston Moore combo by the end of the season should be very good and I think our inside presence will improve.

We have 15 more games for the young bigs and Harmon to get better before the postseason, and no one will want to draw us at the end of the year.

We are not even close to reaching our talent potential this year.