Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think they’re so frustrated at the officiating that they aren’t concentrating on the game. 

Focus has been horrible most of the game.  Last couple of minutes have looked better -- flow on offense better.

Need to play quality 5 minutes to have a shot at winning...  

Good timeout by Vic

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

This isn't even a tournament team that we're getting destroyed at home by

Terrible effort but not really worried about it. This team lost to a couple non-tournament teams last year. 

I think the broadcasters nailed it. This looks like a young team that didn't come ready to play at all. Hopefully, it's a learning lesson and realize you have to show up every night. 

Moving forward it's going to be interesting if Schaefer is willing to go really young. Ebo played well against Oklahoma State but she shouldn't be getting major minutes now with Gaston and Moore back. 

Our best 4 bigs are 3 true FR and a Sophomore that was injured most of the year last season. Think you just have to throw all these young players into the fire and let them learn the physicality it takes to play at this level. 

Starting 5 should be-

PG Harmon (FR)

SG Matharu (JR)

SF Warren (SR)

PF Moore (FR)

C Gaston (So)

If Schaefer wants to go smaller-

PG Harmon (FR)

SG Matharu (JR)

SF Hunter (FR) or Allen Taylor (SR). Essentially playing 3 guards. 

PF Warren (SR)

C Gaston (So)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We get off to a slow start just about every game. Today is no different 

It's because most of our best players come off the bench. Ebo, Allen-Taylor, and Warren are fine players but Warren should be the only one starting out of the group. 

Ebo should not be starting over any of the 4 underclassmen bigs moving forward. Allen-Taylor is an energy player off the bench but Matharu and Hunter have much more offensive game than she does. 

The thought of starting that many young players probably has Schaefer pulling his hair out though. People forget that in the exhibition we started 3 true FR but then injuries, Covid, etc happened. I think Schaefer's initial plan was to throw all these youngins into the fire. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's because most of our best players come off the bench. Ebo, Allen-Taylor, and Warren are fine players but Warren should be the only one starting out of the group. 

Ebo should not be starting over any of the 4 underclassmen bigs moving forward. Allen-Taylor is an energy player off the bench but Matharu and Hunter have much more offensive game than she does. 

The thought of starting that many young players probably has Schaefer pulling his hair out though. People forget that in the exhibition we started 3 true FR but then injuries, Covid, etc happened. I think Schaefer's initial plan was to throw all these youngins into the fire. 

Harmon and Matharu need to start.  Hunter needs to be first off the bench for Matharu, JAT can sub in for Harmon when she needs a break.  Vic gotta give Hunter that green light, she looks hesitant to shoot.  We also missed her open a few times, she doesn't need that much space to shoot it. 

Warren has to stay on the court.  Figuring out the 4/5 spot is going to be a headache for a while.  It should be Gaston and Moore; Moore has to get her feet back under her and Gaston plays exactly like a sophomore who missed the majority of her freshman year. 

Feels like it's going to take forever for Vic to get comfortable rolling out  Harmon, Matharu, Warren, Moore, Gaston as the starting 5.  But it needs to happen sooner rather than later. 

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Feels like it's going to take forever for Vic to get comfortable rolling out  Harmon, Matharu, Warren, Moore, Gaston as the starting 5.  But it needs to happen sooner rather than later. 

Yeah that's the starting five when Moore is ready unless we need to go small.

JAT first off the bench then Ebo, Hunter and Lattimore.

Hunter and Lattimore have both shown flashes of greatness but both looked a bit lost yesterday. As Freshmen do.

Thankful now the Baylor game is cancelled, need to get our confidence back.

I never found Coale to be that annoying. Mulkey was annoying but she also won so she had the right to run her mouth. 

Tech kicked our ass last night but they sure our mouthy for a program that hasn't made the tournament since 2013. It's interesting how much Tech valued that win last night. This seems to be the target that Schaefer has built at Texas now. Every game is the other team's super bowl. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Figuring out the 4/5 spot is going to be a headache for a while.  It should be Gaston and Moore; Moore has to get her feet back under her and Gaston plays exactly like a sophomore who missed the majority of her freshman year. 

It's going to be a headache but fully expected. Our 4 best bigs are 3 true FR and Sophomore that missed most of her FR year. 

Last night was the first time all year it was really a major issue (maybe Tennessee too). 

If Jessika Carter enters the portal I expect Schaefer to be all over that to add experience to the room next season. 

Kobe-King Hawea has been out with injuries/Covid but I think she needs more minutes too. She can really shoot and score. It's another young player though. 

Schaefer is obviously worried about how young this team is which is why he's been starting 3 SRs that aren't as talented but he's gotta just say fuck it and start playing the better players regardless of age/experience. 

It's only going to help for next season too. 

aggy is getting run by Tennessee. I wish we could have pulled out that Tennessee win because Tennessee is looking like a legit top 10 team. Also, aggy sucks. 

Tech is really the only outlier right now because Texas has shown they can play with top 10 teams (see Stanford and Tennessee). 

Edited by texasstrong12

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

South Carolina looks vulnerable. This doesn't look anything like a team that's a lock to win it all. 

They may still win this game against LSU but they've struggled for a couple weeks now. 

Mulkey up 34-28 at half

Plus, players like Gaston and Moore just need reps. Gaston missed a couple games prior to Tech with Covid and Moore was out for that long stretch. 

Texas finally has everyone back so it would be nice to get into some type of rhythm with a full roster for once. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Found a replacement

So I guess this replaces the Alcorn State or Arizona Games.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Should be a good team to gain our confidence back against. I’m already looking forward to the Tech rematch in Lubbock though 

Yeah, I was thinking the same, would love to get a little payback, but we didn't just play poorly (though we did) they defended us really well.

I'm sure the ladies want to get back on the court and get past that debacle.

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas leads by 21 at half against RGV. We're still not dominating the paint like I had hoped. Lattimore and Ebo are sloppy under the basket

28/32 shots are 2s

56% shooting

+11 in FTA

+16 in rebounds

Gaston, Ebo, Moore, Lattimore 7-14

Posts are a bit sloppy and rushed. Just need to chill out sometimes under the basket