Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Michigan State's 5'7 guard Alyza Winston entered the portal and has us in her top 5 with Baylor, MSU, Ole Miss and UConn. 

2019-2020 (FR): played in 30 games, 8.6 mpg, 50.8% FG (31-61), 42.9% from three (9-21), 71.4% FT (15-21), 2.9 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 25 assists/40 turnovers,  9 steals

2020-2021 (SO): played in 23 games (16 starts), 27 mpg, 42.3% FG (96-227), 36.4$ from three (43-118), 71.4% FT (20-28), 11.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 47 assists/46 turnovers, 13 steals, 2 blocks

2021-2022 (JR): played in 10 games (10 starts), 26.7 mpg, 42.5% FG (48-113), 25.9% from three (14-54), 80% FT (12-15), 12.2 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 30 assists/22 turnovers, 14 steals, 1 block

With Chevalier gone and Joanne Allen-Taylor graduating, this might be a decent pickup. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Still no idea if we are playing Sunday or not. 

There's no reason we should lose this game. 

Full strength I don't see us losing either but the worry is, if due to covid, we end up fielding a diminished squad. I think there is a lot of gray area in the decision making process of all college and pro sports now. You want to keep everyone safe and act with integrity but you also want to win. Success this year, in part, may just depend on your luck in the timing of your infections.

I wonder when they will make the decision? A lot of phone calls going on right now I'm sure - teams, leagues, players, medical staff, networks....

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Michigan State's 5'7 guard Alyza Winston entered the portal and has us in her top 5 with Baylor, MSU, Ole Miss and UConn

If Baylor or UConn are interested we may not have a shot, but I'm all in. With those kind of numbers I'm surprised she's in the portal with only one season left. Do we have a reason for her leaving?  I hate these one season rentals but that's the world we live in.

... she may not get as much playing time at Baylor or Uconn...

I don't see Chevalier declaring any destination on her twitter, I would have thought something would have been said by now.

4 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

If Baylor or UConn are interested we may not have a shot, but I'm all in. With those kind of numbers I'm surprised she's in the portal with only one season left. Do we have a reason for her leaving?  I hate these one season rentals but that's the world we live in.

... she may not get as much playing time at Baylor or Uconn...

I don't see Chevalier declaring any destination on her twitter, I would have thought something would have been said by now.

Former Muskegon standout Alyza Winston enters transfer portal - mlive.com

Winston was a four-star recruit coming out of Muskegon High School and was ranked the No. 68 overall player in the country. She quickly earned playing time with the Spartans during the 2019-20 season and played in 30 games as a freshman.

The playmaking guard was viewed as an up-and-coming talent in the Big Ten Conference this winter after averaging 11.1 points and 1.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore last season. As a junior, Winston averaged 12.2 points per game, three assists, 1.6 rebounds, and 1.4 steals in 26.7 minutes played per game.

Winston has already been removed from the school’s official roster and athletics website. The reasoning behind the transfer remains unclear but Michigan State head coach Suzy Merchant had recently mentioned the possibility of freshman guard Deedee Hagemann entering the starting lineup, which would have likely come at Winston’s expense.

"The reasoning behind the transfer (Alyza Winston) remains unclear but Michigan State head coach Suzy Merchant had recently mentioned the possibility of freshman guard Deedee Hagemann entering the starting lineup, which would have likely come at Winston’s expense."

Sounds familiar.

So not as good as their freshman, but seasoned and putting up numbers.

The portal giveth and it taketh away.

Oops, you beat me to it.

Edited by TommysTinyTowels

Still projected as the 2 seed in Spokane with Stanford (1), Michigan (3) and Nell Fortner’s Georgia Tech (4).  I’d be so okay with hitting Michigan in the S16 and then Tree in the E8.  We really fucked them up with our pressure defense because they still don’t appear to have solved their PG situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2021 at 11:35 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Welp. Sounds like we're going to be playing this game down some players on Sunday. 

Tick tock….

But this #3 Louisville - #16 GT game is a good appetizer. 48-48 with 35.4 left.  Nell’s Ramblers will be dangerous in the NCAAT. Play very good defense 

Edited by Js1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's a very interesting starting 5 based on the previous starting lineups. Hopefully, we aren't without Harmon too. 

Harmon is dressed in the huddle. May just be coming off the bench 

Edited by Js1