Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Sign of a good team is one that wins road games short handed. Great job ladies. Ebo played one of her best games with more minutes than she's used to

Was coming to give her props. She played a lot - 6 points and 10 rebounds. Warren was a rebound short of a double double 

I thought JAT was a warrior out there, played 39 minutes. Warren had a great game, she shot well and pulled down a bunch of boards.
Surprised Lattimore didn't get any burn in the second half, thought she played well enough and Ebo always looks like she could use
a break. OkieState shot 26 FTs and we shot 14. Ouch  Both teams looked tired in the fourth to me, throwing up airballs.
We shot 55% in the 3rd and 28% in the fourth. They shot 36% in the third and 20% in the fourth. Hunter shot very poorly, hopefully
she can pick it up soon. 3 points in 20 minutes is not what you are looking for in a shooting guard.

All in all a great victory to start conference play. Really missed Gaston but not as many players absent as I had feared. Great job ladies.
Loved hearing Vic get into the refs, finally got a coach I can believe in.

Baylor is down this year but this is probably the best the conference has been in about a decade. With a round robin schedule there's a chance to pick up a lot of quality wins in the Big 12 this season. 

In terms of NET: Iowa State #9, K-State #15, Baylor #19, Kansas #33, OU #35. 

That's 10 games against top 35 teams. I think the Big 12 champion will have 3 or 4 losses this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Ayoka Lee is gonna be a huge challenge. I hope Gaston and Moore are back by that game. 

Typically what Schaefer does with these types is he runs full court press and makes big girls like that uncomfortable playing that style. 

We really need one of Gaston or Moore to play that style though. 

Lee cooked Baylor because they let her get in the half court and use her size in the paint. Gotta make her run.  

Texas dropped back a spot to #6 in NET

Still the highest rated Big 12 team

#6 Texas
#9 Iowa State
#14 Kansas State
#19 Baylor
#34 Kansas
#35 Oklahoma
#57 West Virginia
#63 Oklahoma State
#99 Texas Tech
#158 TCU

Other teams of note:

1 SCe
2 NC State
3 UNC
4 Stanford
5 Louisville
7 Arizona (I wish we had that game)
10 Tennessee
18 Baylor
22 Georgia Tech (go Nell!)
28 A&M
#42 Princeton

The 3 Carolina schools are a combined 38-3 and the top 3 teams in the NET. 

Edited by Js1

Our NET is dropping because aggy isn't very good. That win will still be a good win on the road at the end of the year but not nearly as good as we thought. It would have been nice to play Arizona but the strength of the Big 12 should make it up for that cancellation. 

I watched aggy against TCU and LSU. I don't think they will finish much better than a couple games above .500 in the SEC. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'm once again so impressed with Schaefer because another year where injuries and Covid aren't going our way. 

I'm pretty sure the plan was to start Moore at the 4 and Gaston at the 5 this year. We've gone almost the entire year without those 2 playing together and multiple games without either of those players. 

Yet, here we are sitting at #6 in NET as our likely two starting front court players have limited time together. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does Blair have the equivalent of senioritis?

Losing to a top-15 Texas and top-20 LSU as 2 of your 3 losses isn't a big deal.  The TCU loss was puzzling.  They're just not that good, tbh, and it's been a cream puff type schedule (TAMUCC, Southern, DePaul, SFA, Pitt, South Dakota, Northwestern, Little Rock, Texas Southern, Rice, UTSA).

They had their Dec 30 game against Vanderbilt postponed. 

It's not going to get easier - 2 of their next 3 are @ Tennessee and @ South Carolina.  

9-7 to 7-9 is the likely range based on their SEC schedule.  They face South Carolina and LSU twice, but Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri only once.  They have also Georgia. 

Ross Bjork is not good at hiring coaches. I know it was Ole Miss but his hiring track record there was absolutely abysmal. I discussed this in a some thread way back but like 90% of his hires at Ole Miss were complete dumpster fires. 

aggy picked Bjork for one reason......they knew he would let Jimbo cheat his ass off. 

I miss Nell's BOOMSHAKALAKA during VB and WBB games.  But she's having great success at GT and her team plays really good defense.

Honestly, a game between Texas and GT would probably end up 41-37 or some shit.  

• Haha 1

I shouldn't assume, but with the shortened COVID period, everyone should be back for Tech.  Some game reps for Gaston prior to Baylor is key (and Moore if she's back - I am going to keep willing this into existence). 

Tech is small - one 6'3 player (JR Tofaeono) and one 6'4 player (FR Wenger).  Bryn Gerlich is a 6'0 forward, so she is comparable to Warren.  Lots of transfers on the roster - Bre'Amber Scott (ULAR), Ella Tofaeono (Texas A&M), Rhyle McKinney (SMU), Bryn Gerlich (Ok State), Vivian Gray (Ok State), Taylah Thomas (Arky) and Tatum Veitenheimer (OU). 

7-5, 0-1 in Big 12 play.  Lost a high scoring one to OU, 97-91 on Sunday.  

Wins: SELA, Weber State, Lamar, Texas State, Ball State, New Mexico, UNLV
Losses: Old Dominion (ouch) by 14, Georgia by 10, Ole Miss by 15, LSU by 14, OU by 8

• They average 67.3 ppg but allow 64.8 ppg
  • Shoot 46% overall and 33.5% from three - opponents hit 38.5% of their shots and 33.6% from three
  • 67% FT 
  • Winning the rebounding margin by 3.9 (37.6 - 33.7) 
  • Average 17.3 turnovers per game and they are -4.5 compared to their opponents (only force 12.8 per game) 

They turn it over more than they turn you over - but they can score points. 

You have to watch Lexy Hightower (43% from three).  Gerlich (37%) and McKinney (37%) can hit it - otherwise everyone else is pretty bad or has barely attempted any.  Those 3 take the most - 65% of their three point shots. 

Gray averages 18 ppg, 6.3 rebounds.  She makes them go.  McKinney is at 10.9 ppg, Thomas at 10.6 ppg and 10.9 rpg and Hightower at 10.0 ppg.  Gerlich is the best passer on the team - she's a 6'0 forward who leads them in assists (51).  

Avoid the disaster in Lubbock last year, Texas lost 74-66. Warren had 14 points and 5 rebounds, JAT had 12 points and 3 assists, Ebo had 4 points and 3 rebounds but only played 10 minutes and Gaston had 1 rebound and 1 block in 6 minutes.  Taylor, Warren and JAT all fouled out of that game and Texas shot 33%, which is why they lost - Texas shot one less FT than Tech, won the rebounding by 3, won the TO battle by 1 but they couldn't hit shit and Tech hit 44% of their shots. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I shouldn't assume, but with the shortened COVID period, everyone should be back for Tech.  Some game reps for Gaston prior to Baylor is key (and Moore if she's back - I am going to keep willing this into existence). 

Tech is small - one 6'3 player (JR Tofaeono) and one 6'4 player (FR Wenger).  Bryn Gerlich is a 6'0 forward, so she is comparable to Warren.  Lots of transfers on the roster - Bre'Amber Scott (ULAR), Ella Tofaeono (Texas A&M), Rhyle McKinney (SMU), Bryn Gerlich (Ok State), Vivian Gray (Ok State), Taylah Thomas (Arky) and Tatum Veitenheimer (OU). 

7-5, 0-1 in Big 12 play.  Lost a high scoring one to OU, 97-91 on Sunday.  

Wins: SELA, Weber State, Lamar, Texas State, Ball State, New Mexico, UNLV
Losses: Old Dominion (ouch) by 14, Georgia by 10, Ole Miss by 15, LSU by 14, OU by 8

• They average 67.3 ppg but allow 64.8 ppg
  • Shoot 46% overall and 33.5% from three - opponents hit 38.5% of their shots and 33.6% from three
  • 67% FT 
  • Winning the rebounding margin by 3.9 (37.6 - 33.7) 
  • Average 17.3 turnovers per game and they are -4.5 compared to their opponents (only force 12.8 per game) 

They turn it over more than they turn you over - but they can score points. 

You have to watch Lexy Hightower (43% from three).  Gerlich (37%) and McKinney (37%) can hit it - otherwise everyone else is pretty bad or has barely attempted any.  Those 3 take the most - 65% of their three point shots. 

Gray averages 18 ppg, 6.3 rebounds.  She makes them go.  McKinney is at 10.9 ppg, Thomas at 10.6 ppg and 10.9 rpg and Hightower at 10.0 ppg.  Gerlich is the best passer on the team - she's a 6'0 forward who leads them in assists (51).  

Avoid the disaster in Lubbock last year, Texas lost 74-66. Warren had 14 points and 5 rebounds, JAT had 12 points and 3 assists, Ebo had 4 points and 3 rebounds but only played 10 minutes and Gaston had 1 rebound and 1 block in 6 minutes.  Taylor, Warren and JAT all fouled out of that game and Texas shot 33%, which is why they lost - Texas shot one less FT than Tech, won the rebounding by 3, won the TO battle by 1 but they couldn't hit shit and Tech hit 44% of their shots. 

Thanks for the in-depth write-up.

Sounds like they can put up some points, thought that last game might have gone to overtime but it didn't. Going to need to roll out our trademark defense and control the pace of the game so we don't get into a shootout. We are currently holding teams to 53.1 points per game so I like our chances.

Getting Gaston back would be huge and making some free throws would certainly help.
We are next to last in B12 free throw percentage.