Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Doesn’t make sense to me that a player would transfer mid-season. I don’t think she would be eligible to play anywhere until next fall. If she stayed on the roster here until the end of the season, she would still get some minutes of PT, but not as much as she did last year. I guess if she’s not a starter she doesn’t want to play at all. Good luck on your next endeavor 

Edited by perfectchaos007

It won’t be difficult to find a transfer. There will be a billion combo guards that can play the 1 and 2 in the transfer portal so there are minutes outside of just PG. 

As stated above, it was obvious Chevalier’s days were numbered. She was the 5th guard behind two FR when Hunter was healthy. 3 of those players (Matharu, Hunter and Harmon) will be back next season. 

I wish this transfer would happen at the end of the season but probably best for both parties. Chevalier needs to find a school she can get playing time and Texas needs an extra scholarship to find more talented players. 

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Doesn’t make sense to me that a player would transfer mid-season. I don’t think she would be eligible to play anywhere until next fall. If she stayed on the roster here until the end of the season, she would still get some minutes of PT, but not as much as she did last year. I guess if she’s not a starter she doesn’t want to play at all. Good luck on your next endeavor 

She wouldn’t be eligible but she can start looking for another transfer destination. Chevalier is not a 5 star talent so you want to get ahead of all the other transfers that will happen after the season.

I guess she could get minutes but she’s hardly played in the Stanford, Tennessee and A&M games. She’s not even getting bench minutes against the good teams. 

When Hunter comes back and Texas is no longer playing terrible non-conference teams there aren’t going to be minutes. The only worry for Texas is injuries. 

I think some are viewing Chevalier as the backup PG but she isn’t. 

Against good competition, Schaefer would play Allen-Taylor or Matharu at point before he played Chevalier. We saw that against aggy as Allen-Taylor was running point in the non Harmon minutes.  

You don’t need a pure PG to pair with Harmon which is why there will be a plethora of options for Texas in the portal. We need an Allen-Taylor mold more than anything. I.e. a combo guard that can defend. 

56 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

3 have already been processed (Chevalier, Coleman and Johnson). Holle is the only Aston recruit remaining. 

I hope Holle sticks. She may, being a Westlake girl and her Dad playing for UT. Played 9 minutes each at Tennessee and A&M so Vic has some level of trust in her and she appears to be gaining in value and confidence. Not sure what will happen to her playing time when Hunter and King-Hawea get back.

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I hope Holle sticks. She may, being a Westlake girl and her Dad playing for UT. Played 9 minutes each at Tennessee and A&M so Vic has some level of trust in her and she appears to be gaining in value and confidence. Not sure what will happen to her playing time when Hunter and King-Hawea get back.

She’s a Texas kid. Bet she sticks 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:49 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yesterdays game was on the SEC network so they won't show it on LHN. Part of the Big12 SEC challenge. Yeah, I saw they were playing that game to death, they do have other options. I wish they would post the whole A&M game on YouTube but so far only 10 minutes of highlights.

Keep looking because it's worth watching. I've watched it at least 5 times, it ages well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Nell Fortner postgame interview after the victory over UConn 

Unfortunately this was just Geno being Geno, but I guess the bigger story is Geno lost, not that Nell won.

Love Nell, miss her commentary but Andrea is great as well.

Georgia Tech is 7-2, wish Nell all the best, class act.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Unfortunately this was just Geno being Geno, but I guess the bigger story is Geno lost, not that Nell won.

Love Nell, miss her commentary but Andrea is great as well.

Georgia Tech is 7-2, wish Nell all the best, class act.

Nell is only one of, I think, (now) 4 coaches who ever beat Geno in their first ever matchup. 

Game 8: #11/12 Texas (6-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs Idaho (1-6, 0-0 Big Sky)

Saturday, Dec.11, 2021 -1:00 p.m. Central

Frank Erwin Center (16,540) - Austin, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts:

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by Longhorn Network. Tyler Denning (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.

• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network.

Brant Freeman (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.

SERIES: 4th meeting, Texas leads 3-0

Notables:

LEADING IN: The Texas Longhorns return to the Frank Erwin Center on Saturday (1 p.m. CT) looking to keep the momentum rolling as they play host to Idaho. The Longhorns are fresh off an impressive 76-60 victory at No.17/15 Texas A&M this past Sunday and are looking the make it four-straight wins as they move through their nonconference schedule.

ALL ABOUT THE NET: The NCAA released their first NET rankings of the season on Monday and the Longhorns came in as the No.5 team in the country. The NET rankings are formulated based off of a teams' strength of schedule and quality of opponents. The NET is what the NCAA Tournament committee used to help determine bracket seeding.

MATHARU MANIA: Junior Mississippi State transfer Aliyah Matharu continues to turn heads in her first season on The 40 Acres. The Washington D.C. native leads the team in scoring averaging 16.6 points per game. She also ranks No.2 in the Big 12 and No.20 in the NCAA in three-point field goal percentage shooting it at a 48.8 percent clip. She ranks No.3 in the league and No.22 nationally averaging 3.0 triples per game.

DISHIN RORI:Freshman point guard Rori Harmon continues post some impressive numbers in her first season in the Burnt Orange and White. The Houston native enters play leading the Big 12 in assists per game at 6.6 which is good for No.7 in the NCAA and No.2 among NCAA division I freshman. She also leads the conference in assist/turnover ratio (3.83) which ranks No.8 nationally and No.1 among all freshman.

SCOUTING THE VANDALS: Idaho is out to a 1-6 start to their 2021-22 nonconference schedule and are coming off an 87-65 loss to Southern Utah in their last game. The Vandals enter Saturday's matchup averaging 65.9 points and 39 rebounds per contest. Louise Forsyth is the team's leading scorer averaging 14.9 points per game. Allison Kirby and Beyonce Bea share the team lead in rebounding at 7.0 per game. Idaho was picked to finish third by both the coaches and the media in the Big Sky Preseason Poll.

https://texassports.com/news/2021/12/10/womens-basketball-11-12-womens-basketball-preview-vs-idaho.aspx

Should be a game to give everyone experience and work on individual players issues.

Other than the free throw percentage the team stats look dang solid.

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021?path=wb

Hopefully we will get one or more of our injured players back.

scheduleIdaho.jpg

roster-Idaho.jpg

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Texas now going small with Gaston at the 5 and Warren at the 4. 

Schaefer is gonna have to do this against teams that go insanely small as it's almost impossible to play Gaston and Ebo together. 

Yep Ebo and Gaston together can’t keep up 

I don't think our starting lineup will look the same much longer. 

One of Hunter and Matharu needs to be in the starting lineup. I think I prefer Warren at the 4 and Gaston at the 5 if you can make that work defensively/rebounding. This smaller lineup with 3 guards, a SF and PF/C works much better with Schaefer's full court press. 

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas turns the ball over too much but part of that is Texas plays in this foul court press. Up and down game leads to more turnovers. 

I think Schaefer can live with a few more turnovers playing this way if it's producing 2X as many turnovers by the other team. 

Bigs gotta stop putting the ball on the floor on offensive rebounds. Two turnovers I’ve seen were just that 

• Like 1

Nice if expected win.

Harmon typical good game, didn’t do her assist to turnover stats any good (3/3) but another solid performance from the freshman.

Warren with 4 steals and kept her cabeza off the hardwood, I was expecting her to miss 30% of the season but I’m far more optimistic about her playing the full year now.

Really glad to get Hunter back, scored 11 points but she and Matharu both shot 4-12 so not great.

It does seem Chevalier’s presence is not missed that much with Matharu, Hunter and JAT all capable of bringing the ball up with the added advantage of some strong offensive potential from the point guard position. Makes us harder to guard.

Like TexasStrong12 says the Harmon, Hunter and Matharu lineup is scary dynamic offensively, that’s two freshmen in the backcourt but you can’t tell by watching them.

With Vic obviously seeing Lattimore as the future he gave her plenty of burn and she responded with 5-6 shooting and 10 boards. She had 3 turnovers but she is coming along nicely, could get extended minutes in a big boy game soon.

Gaston may get game ball with 19 points (9-12) in 22 minutes 7 boards and no turnovers.

Ebo definitely has some skills and she didn’t get much playing time Saturday because this was a Lattimore practice game but I really wish she could get in better shape. As much as Vic has them run it just seems like the girl is fighting some serious genetics or sneaking out for some fries late at night. It definitely limits her ability to stay on the floor and makes us a much slower team overall.

Fun game to watch, some folks don’t like blowouts and want a close game but I love watching everyone get to play and it’s much less stressful.

box.jpg

idaho11.jpg

• Like 1