Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

With no Hunter and King-Hawea our perimeter shooting is suspect. Outside of Matharu, I'm not sure we really have a plus shooter. Jackson State is sagging in the paint and forcing players to take open 3s. 

I think Schaefer knows that too because he has players like Lattimore and Gaston sitting on the perimeter as they're better shooters than a lot of our guards outside Matharu. 

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I didn't pencil this in as a tough game but JSU is making up for their lack of size by speeding past our bigger slower players. Its been an effective gameplan by them

Jackson State, who won the Southwestern Athletic Conference title in 2020-21 and made a trip to the NCAA Tournament, was tabbed No.1 in the SWAC preseason coaches' poll.

JS lost at Ole Miss (7-1) by 13 and lost at Miami (4-2) by 5. (Miami only lost by 2 at #6 Indiana)

Hopefully Harmon can stay on the court for the fourth.

The starting lineup is going to be interesting by the end of the year because right now you could say 3 of our best players aren't in the starting lineup. 

Matharu, Hunter, and Moore are three of our best players. Not sure Schaefer will be willing to go that young though with the starting lineup. 

When healthy our most talented starting lineup is: 

PG-Harmon

SG-Hunter

SF-Matharu undersized here but she's better than Allen-Taylor and Warren by a mile. As is Hunter. Texas would have to go small at SF though. 

PF-Moore

C-Gaston 

I don't think Schaefer will be willing to make that many changes with so many young players but Warren, Allen-Taylor and Ebo simply aren't as good as these other players. 

Looking back at the beginning of the season, the starting lineup in the exhibition was 3 FR. Granted, 2 of those players are currently out with an injury. 

Harmon, Moore, Hunter, Allen-Taylor and Warren were the starters in the exhibition. 

One of Matharu or Hunter needs to be in the starting lineup when Hunter is back healthy. We simply can't have all 3 of Ebo, Allen-Taylor and Warren in the starting lineup or else our bench is going to be better than our starting 5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Thats your best offensive 5 for sure. Not so sure they can defend. 

1) I think they can a lot better in Schaefer's system. Right now it's hard to press because Texas has 2 slow players in the starting 5 with Warren and Ebo.

2) The other big problem right now is playing 2 bigs together between Ebo, Gaston, and Lattimore. All 3 of those players are 5s outside of maybe Gaston. Moore is by far the best fit at the 4 which is where she was starting before the injury. 

When Texas plays these 2 big lineups, currently, it's almost impossible to press because they have 2 centers on the court. There's no way that 2 big lineup tonight could keep up with those Jackson State guards especially with Warren on the court with them. Schaefer was going small to start the year until the injuries. 

3) The best way to maximize this roster when Hunter comes back is to play 3 guards. Texas can't have both Hunter and Matharu coming off the bench. Either Allen-Taylor needs to come off the bench, Warren needs to come off the bench, or Warren needs to try the 4 where we can start 3 guards. 

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The starting lineup is going to be interesting by the end of the year because right now you could say 3 of our best players aren't in the starting lineup. 

Matharu, Hunter, and Moore are three of our best players. Not sure Schaefer will be willing to go that young though with the starting lineup. 

When healthy our most talented starting lineup is: 

PG-Harmon

SG-Hunter

SF-Matharu undersized here but she's better than Allen-Taylor and Warren by a mile. As is Hunter. Texas would have to go small at SF though. 

PF-Moore

C-Gaston 

I don't think Schaefer will be willing to make that many changes with so many young players but Warren, Allen-Taylor and Ebo simply aren't as good as these other players. 

Lattimore would be another Freshman on the floor but I thought she played a good game today and showed some real potential. Her rim protection off the bench could help as long as she doesn't get bumped from the rotation when Moore gets back.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Lattimore would be another Freshman on the floor but I thought she played a good game today and showed some real potential. Her rim protection off the bench could help as long as she doesn't get bumped from the rotation when Moore gets back.

Lattimore and Gaston are both going to be very good once they get enough experience.

Schaefer says in every press conference that Lattimore has no clue what she's doing but she's coming. I think Schaefer knows his best players are all the youngins but I'm not sure he 's going to throw them all into the fire together which is understandable as Warren, Allen-Taylor and Ebo are still good college players. There is just a lower ceiling with them in the starting lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Stanford’s nonconference schedule is insane.

Also, USF is legit. I would pick them to make at least the Sweet 16. They’ve now beaten two top 15 caliber teams and their two losses were close losses to Tennessee and UCONN. 

On 11/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, texasstrong12 said:

USF is legit. Like final 4 good. 

They've played 4 Sweet 16 caliber teams and had a chance to win them all. Including UCONN.

image.png.97f21c184c42bc092e1bd4c12a25da05.png

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬🐴😬😬😬😬😬

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

image.png.97f21c184c42bc092e1bd4c12a25da05.png

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬🐴😬😬😬😬😬

Meh. Mulkey beat #14 ISU (surprise, she knows her former Big 12 colleagues well) and Duke blew out #9 Iowa.  Celeste had 17 points and 13 boards. 

Wow. USF beat Oregon, Stanford, led in the 4th against Tennessee, and had a chance against UCONN. Then they follow that up with a loss to UT Arlington?

But I think this is how the basketball season will go. There don't seem to be many dominant teams  in the top 25 and the path to an elite 8 seems to be wide open outside of a few teams. I think the same is true in men's basketball too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Meh. Mulkey beat #14 ISU (surprise, she knows her former Big 12 colleagues well) and Duke blew out #9 Iowa.  Celeste had 17 points and 13 boards. 

This season is wide open. There aren't many dominant teams outside of a few. 

Weirdly enough, men's basketball seems to be the same way this year. I asked a few days ago in the men's basketball thread if this is the weakest group of top 25 teams in like a decade. I have the same question for women's basketball? 

I wonder what's caused such parity across the board in basketball? 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This season is wide open. There aren't many dominant teams outside of a few. 

Weirdly enough, men's basketball seems to be the same way this year. I asked a few days ago in the men's basketball thread if this is the weakest group of top 25 teams in like a decade. I have the same question for women's basketball? 

I wonder what's caused such parity across the board in basketball? 

Super seniors and the portal transfer mania. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Ebo will get many minutes once the roster is healthy. 

It's hard to run full court press with her because of how slow she is. 

“But Schaefer said Ebo needs improved conditioning to run the court. When a team publicist brought Ebo to the post-game press conference Shaefer waved her away. No players were permitted to speak to the media.”

Why no players?

Schaefer did ask to address the Jackson State players after the game.

Vic said no target date for the return of Moore, Hunter and King-Hawea. (ankle, ankle, foot) Did not expect them back for A&M

Bugger.