• Hook 'Em 2

Princeton Coach: Carla Berube

Record  36–4 (.900)

Born      September 2, 1975 (age 46)

Playing career

1993–1997           Connecticut

1997–1999           New England Blizzard

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

2000–2002           Providence (assistant)

2002–2019           Tufts

2019–present    Princeton

Head coaching record

Overall  420–100 (.808)

Championships

Ivy League regular season (2020)

3× NESCAC (2014, 2015, 2019)

4× NCAA Division III Regional - Final Four (2014–2017)

Awards

Ivy League Coach of the Year (2020)

NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year (2015)

5x NESCAC Coach of the Year

Carla Berube (born September 2, 1975) is an American college basketball coach and former basketball player. She is the head coach of the Princeton Tigers women's basketball team, a position she has held since 2019.[1] She previously spent seventeen years as the head coach of the women's basketball team at Tufts University, where she compiled a record of 384-96.[2] Berube played college basketball for the UConn Huskies.

Berube played college basketball for Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut, where she scored 1,381 points and compiled a 132-8 record in four years. She was a member of the 1995 team that went 35-0, winning the school's first national championship.[3]

Berube was selected by the New England Blizzard with the 21st selection in the 1997 ABL draft. She averaged 2.6 points in 46 games over two seasons before the league ceased operations in 1999.[4]

Coaching career

Berube was hired by Providence College as an assistant women's basketball coach in August 2000.[5] In 2002, she was hired to be the head coach for D3 Tufts University.[6] Over 17 seasons, she went 384-96 with two championship game appearances and four Final Fours. She was awarded the Pat Summitt Trophy as the United States Marine Corps/Women's Basketball Coaches' Association NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year in 2015.

Berube was named head coach of the 2017 USA Women's U16 National Team and led the team to an undefeated 5-0 record and gold medal finish at the FIBA Americas U16 Championship. In 2018, Berube coached the USA Women's U17 National Team to a perfect 7-0 record and another gold medal at the FIBA U17 World Cup in Minsk, Belarus.[7]

In 2019, Berube left Tufts to become the head coach for the Princeton Tigers. In her first year at Princeton, Berube compiled a 29-1 record, including an undefeated 14-0 record in Ivy League play, and was named Ivy League Coach of the Year.[8]

Heck of a coach.

Berube.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The AP punished us for not playing Arizona. We went from #11 to #12 this week

I'm not one to sweat the rankings much, especially at this point in the season, but the poll makes no sense to me.  We beat number 2 at their place, and they now have 2 losses.  Our only loss was to number 7 in OT, also at their place where where they got a lot of home cooking.  There are a lot of teams with worse résumés and the same number or more losses ranked ahead of us. 

We play better with a chip on our shoulder, so let the disrespect continue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

#12 Texas Longhorns vs Princeton Tigers
Wednesday December 22

11:00 AM CT    Princeton, New Jersey Jadwin Gymnasium
TV: ESPN +      Radio: 105.3 FM

The Texas Longhorns (8-1) will look to continue a five-game win streak when they visit the Princeton Tigers (7-3) on Wednesday, December 22, 2021.

Julia Cunningham's 21 points led Princeton to a 79-77 overtime victory against Buffalo on Tuesday in the team's last outing.

Texas knocked off San Diego 74-58 in the team's last action on Sunday. Aliyah Matharu put up a team-leading 22 points in the win.

Princeton Team Stats
Princeton has scored 66.2 points per game this season while Texas gives up 53.3 per contest. The Tigers are 4-1 when they put up more than 53 points.
The Tigers are outshooting their opponents from the field this season, averaging 41.3 percent from the field per game against their opponents' average of 37.1 percent. When Princeton outshoots its season average, the Tigers are 4-0 this year.
The Princeton basketball teams plays their home games in the 6,854-seat Jadwin Gymnasium, the second-largest on-campus college basketball arena in New Jersey.

Texas Team Stats
The Longhorns score 82.7 points per game, more than the 56.1 Princeton allows. When Texas reaches the 56-point mark, it is 8-1 on the year.
The Longhorns hit 63.9 percent of their free throws as a team, the ninth-best mark in the Big 12. Rori Harmon makes 3.3 free throws per game to lead Texas while connecting on 79 percent of her attempts at the line.

Princeton Players to Watch
Abby Meyers leads Princeton in scoring, averaging 17.6 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. The Tigers leading rebounder is Ellie Mitchell, who averages 9.5 boards per game in addition to scoring 6.9 points. Maggie Connolly is the team's best passer, tallying 2.3 assists to go with 4.6 points per game.
Princeton's three-point shooting attack is led by Meyers, who averages 2.3 made three-pointers per game while hitting 43 percent of her shots from beyond the arc.

Texas Players to Watch
Aliyah Matharu leads Texas in scoring and averages 16.4 points and 2.4 steals per game. Harmon paces the squad with 5.4 assists and averages 11.3 points, while Lauren Ebo leads the Longhorns with 6.3 rebounds per game and adds 7.8 points.
Matharu has a 44 percent shooting percentage from downtown and leads the squad in made threes per game, knocking down 2.6 three-pointers per contest.

princetonschedule.jpg

princetonroster.jpg

princpost.jpg

ISU and Kansas State appear to be done for the year, but Texas still has 1 more non-conf game left (Alcorn State) on 12/29.  Everyone except KSU and Iowa State play on a non-conf on the 28th and 29th (pending any cancellations). 

Big 12 play starts January 2 for all teams -

Kansas @ TCU
Baylor @ KSU
OU @ Tech
Texas @ OSU
WV @ ISU

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

ISU and Kansas State appear to be done for the year, but Texas still has 1 more non-conf game left (Alcorn State) on 12/29.  Everyone except KSU and Iowa State play on a non-conf on the 28th and 29th (pending any cancellations). 

Big 12 play starts January 2 for all teams -

Kansas @ TCU
Baylor @ KSU
OU @ Tech
Texas @ OSU
WV @ ISU

Thanks.

Glad we’re not starting off with Baylor or Iowa State, but that @ Baylor game comes up pretty quick though. Was hoping to have Moore back before B12 play started.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Princeton has missed a lot of shots (16-60) but they have 19 offensive rebounds. Texas has 26 defensive rebounds…

Rebounding is an issue. Princeton also shot a lot of 3s which usually lead to offensive boards though. We miss Moore inside still. 

I didn't watch this game but without Gaston I would have been very worried about this one. Glad we pulled out the win. 

Princeton likes to space the court and shoot 3s so this was a game where Texas likely needed some mobility with their bigs so I'm sure it was difficult without Gaston or Moore. 

Edited by texasstrong12

This team is very good defensively. 

21st in scoring defense and that's with FR still learning how to play defense at this level and a bunch of injuries. The offense is still inconsistent at times when we don't have 2 of Hunter, Matharu and Harmon on the court together. A good chunk of our offense is generated off turnovers but that's how Schaefer likes to play. 

This will be a top 15 caliber defensive team by the end of the season and that wins in March. I'm just glad the people that follow men's basketball don't keep up with women's basketball. Beard and Schaefer are very similar with a defense first mentality and they try to ugly up the game. I don't think some of our fans have figured that out with Beard yet lol. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn't watch this game but without Gaston I would have been very worried about this one. Glad we pulled out the win. 

Do we know why Gaston did not play?

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Beard and Schaefer are very similar with a defense first mentality and they try to ugly up the game.

Yes, it's interesting how similar both our coaches are but to me the ladies seem more fluid offensively. The men don't seem like they know when it's their turn to shoot. I still would like to know why Ramey didn't play much today.

Gaston was out with an illness. Not sure if Covid related. 

The one thing the women’s team does better than the men’s team is score off turnovers. That’s really the only reason the offenses are different. 

The half court offense is still very inconsistent but the entire purpose of Schaefer’s offense is to be methodical and make teams work. Our best offense is generated off turnovers/defense and the motion offense is designed to grind on teams. Although it can be ugly at times I don’t think Schaefer really cares if he’s making teams work and wearing them down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Alcorn St game is a good opportunity to empty the bench 

Would be nice if we can get Moore back into the game prior to conf play, if she's ready.  We have half our conference schedule in January (9 games).  7 in February. 2 in March. 

First 5 conference games:

AT #68 OSU 
vs. #103 Texas Tech
AT #21 Baylor
vs. #35 Kansas
vs. #61 West Virginia

Edited by Js1

# 12 Texas vs Alcorn State    Dec 29 (Wed)   7 p.m. CT  

Austin, Texas Frank C. Erwin Special Events Center  - Holiday Hoops $5 tickets
TV: LHN      Radio: 105.3 FM

The No. 12 Texas Longhorn women will end their non-conference slate with a Dec. 29 showdown against Alcorn State at 7 p.m. at the Erwin Center.
The game will mark the Longhorns’ (9-1) final preparation for Big 12 action, which will start on Jan. 2 at Oklahoma State.
Last time out, the Longhorns defeated Princeton, 70-53, behind an 18-point performance by Joanne Allen-Taylor. Rori Harmon’s performance in that game led to her being named Big 12 Freshman of the Week for the second time this season.
While Texas appears to be without forward Aaliyah Moore, it’s likely the Longhorns will get back forward DeYona Gaston, who missed the Princeton game with a non-COVID illness. Getting Moore back would get the Longhorns back to full strength going into Big 12 play.
Texas goes into the game with four players averaging at least 10 points per game — guard Aliyah Matharu (a team-leading 16 points per game), Harmon (11.7 points per game), Allen-Taylor (10.7 points per game) and Gaston (10 points per game).
Forward Lauren Ebo leads the Longhorns with 6.3 rebounds per game, while Gaston averages 4.9 rebounds per game, and both Harmon and Latasha Lattimore averaged 4.7 rebounds per game. Harmon has a team-leading 51 assists, and her 5.1 assists per game is second in the country in the Big 12 and among NCAA Division I freshmen.

Whoops Cancelled.

Alcornschedule.jpg

alcor-roster.jpg

Edited by TommysTinyTowels
game cancelled

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sucks to not have it, but with the CDC's new 5 day isolation period, we may be able to get in the Jan 2 game. 

I always hope to have recent games and the team all practicing together before facing a decent opponent, I think continuity goes a long way towards success. But I guess many other teams are in the same boat and this will probably continue throughout the season.

We have a good team and a great coach, I just hope the godz will let us capitalize on what I think may be a great year.

Harmon named Tamika Catchings National Freshman Player of the Week
INDIANAPOLIS — University of Texas freshman guard Rori Harmon has been named the Tamika Catchings Freshman Player of the Week by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association, the organization announced Tuesday.
This marks Harmon's first national honor of her career and she becomes the first Texas freshman to earn the award since it began in 2017-18.
Harmon joins South Carolina's Destanni Henderson as this week's national award recipients. Henderson was named the Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Week.
The Houston native turned in an impressive outing last week as the Longhorns (9-1) captured a 70-53 victory at Princeton in their lone contest before the Holiday break. Harmon tallied 15 points on a 6-of-8 performance from the field and led the team on the glass with seven rebounds. She also added two assists, three steals and went 3-of-4 at the free throw line in the victory.
On the season, Harmon ranks No. 2 on the Big 12 and is also No. 2 among NCAA Division 1 freshman averaging 5.1 assists per game.
https://texassports.com/news/2021/12/28/womens-basketball-harmon-named-tamika-catchings-national-freshman-player-of-the-week.aspx

roritcfw.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I always hope to have recent games and the team all practicing together before facing a decent opponent, I think continuity goes a long way towards success. But I guess many other teams are in the same boat and this will probably continue throughout the season.

We have a good team and a great coach, I just hope the godz will let us capitalize on what I think may be a great year.

Oklahoma State will be rusty if this game actually happens on Sunday. With the Christmas break and Covid cancellations it will be over 2 weeks since they've played a game when they play Texas on Sunday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The full Princeton game is now on YouTube if you didn't get to see it and need a WBB fix. Not the best recording but watchable. The pxp guy is ok but the color commentator sounds like somebody's mom. Not altogether bad and in a way refreshing. Still worlds better than Lowell and Lance. The ladies played well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still no idea if we are playing Sunday or not. 

@ Oklahoma State (5-4, #68 NET, 3-1 at home) - haven't played since December 17

Wins: SMU, Missouri State, Rice, Southern, UT Arlington
Losses: Colorado by 10, Green Bay by 3, Tennessee by 25, Auburn by 11
UNT and Tulsa cancelled

They only average about 59 ppg and allow 55 ppg. Only hit 37.2% from the field and 23% from three.  Horrendous FT shooting team - 56%.  Rebound margin is only +0.8 and they average 14.3 turnovers per game. 

Lauren Fields averages 14.3 ppg (only one in double figures) on 37% shooting and 22% from three. Taylen Collins at 9 ppg and Lexy Keys and N'Yah Boyd at 6.3 ppg each. 

There's no reason we should lose this game.  This is not a good OSU team and not the team we lost to last season in Stillwater with Natasha Mack (graduated) and Ja'mee Asberry (transferred).  Mack had 21 and 15, Asberry had 18 and Fields had 13 in our loss to OSU in Stillwater last year.