Farm Tags + Change Trailer Registration

I have an old tandem axle utility trailer that I originally bought new a few years ago for legitimate agricultural use and registered it with farm tags. I'd like to reregister it now for general use so I can take it to the deer lease and avoid getting a dumb ticket.

The trailer is titled and I have a copy of the BOS so the proof of ownership paperwork isn't an issue. 

Recognize that this is all semantics and the primary issue is money.

Two questions: 

1.) I know the main task is getting right on the sales tax. What is the basis they will use and how will it be calculated? 100% of the original sales price?

2.) The net weight of the trailer is 1600# and that's all that's on the title. The GVWR is actually 10,000# but none of my documents say that. The threshold for inspection is 4,000#. Are they going to make me get it inspected before I can reregister it (unlike farm tags)?

Just want to have an idea what to expect so I can minimize the time waiting at the tax office if I can instead of making multiple trips. 

Every trailer outside of my boat and TT have farm tags and have for last 20 years. I’ve never, ever, ever ever ever had a single issue.  I’ve towed them out of state, and all over TX countless times. They are for farm use, but have never abided by the mileage. 

You shouldn’t have to have it inspected, but if you do, I know a great place in Richmond that just did mine.  Took 5 mins and $7.50.  Mine was tip top shape but they literally didn’t check shit, and said “if I was able to tow it in, good enough for them”.  

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Why are you going to pay sales tax on a trailer that is already titled? They just give you different plates and you pay for them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Because I never paid sales tax in the first place? If I sold it, the buyer would have to pay sales tax to get it registered, so my thinking is that they'd want to recapture that money if I re-registered it. Like rollback taxes on real property. I'm probably overthinking it. 

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Every trailer outside of my boat and TT have farm tags and have for last 20 years. I’ve never, ever, ever ever ever had a single issue.  I’ve towed them out of state, and all over TX countless times. They are for farm use, but have never abided by the mileage. 

You shouldn’t have to have it inspected, but if you do, I know a great place in Richmond that just did mine.  Took 5 mins and $7.50.  Mine was tip top shape but they literally didn’t check shit, and said “if I was able to tow it in, good enough for them”.  

I went in this morning and told the lady I wanted to change the registration and the weight was only 1600#.

It's not on the title, so I was surprised when she was able to point out that the GVWR was for 10,000#, which is accurate, therefore I'd have to get it inspected first. I figured my white lie would go unnoticed. 

I told her to go ahead and just renew the farm tags and for $9.75 that was the end of it. I guess I will drive around with a copy of my Ag card and the tax receipts for both of my properties and just claim to being going to one or the other if I ever get stopped. 

I have heard varying stories about farm tags - some people say don't ever worry about it and some people say DPS likes to pad their quotas looking for obvious violators going to the deer lease. But maybe that's more for the vehicle itself and not the trailer. 

47 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have heard varying stories about farm tags - some people say don't ever worry about it and some people say DPS likes to pad their quotas looking for obvious violators going to the deer lease. But maybe that's more for the vehicle itself and not the trailer. 

I think it’s more of when you tempt fate with an old fucked up trailer with no lights and missing decking, overloaded to the point the axles are toeing the tires.   We’ve got farm tags on all our (legitimate) farm trailers.  I also use them for anything that needs trailering anywhere without issue.  This furniture?  Hauling it to the farm, officer.