Battlebots 2022

Prepuce of Doom

I liked some rule changes (getting rid of the whole crabwalking thing) but others seem a little half-baked. 

We wouldn't need so many changes if they didn't fuck things up all over the place last year. I don't know what changed last year, but it sure felt like there was a lot less common sense and a lot more judicial/administrative interference all of a sudden. 

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

They actually are explicitly allowing crabwalking now.  They aren't going to end a match now if a bot is able to move at all - controlled or not. 

honestly its probably good for TV and ratings - more destruction = higher ratings, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

They actually are explicitly allowing crabwalking now.  They aren't going to end a match now if a bot is able to move at all - controlled or not. 

Right - I wasn't very clear above, but I fully approve. I believe that (aside from a clear knockout) unless a team concedes defeat, the clock should always go the full three minutes. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

When I first heard it, I thought, that's going to suck because it just drags things out.  Then I thought, but if the opponents aren't just cruising around the arena waiting for refs to give a countdown, maybe they will actually keep attacking.  So, yeah, it's probably a good change.

I wonder if it will change the dynamics a bit with some bots that hesitate to attack if they think they've won because their internals (drive, motors, batteries) aren't so durable to sustain a prolonged offensive.

25 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

No Tombstone this season - apparently Ray had a very serious hand injury and is taking the season off to recover and rehabilitate. 

Hate to hear that about Ray, he was a really nice guy to meet in person and get nerdy with lol. However, probably for the better for tombstone. I feel like that bot destroys itself and then fills the box with smoke most matches, and is in need of some redesign. 

• Hook 'Em 1