2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

not-fat Sloane is actually a good tennis player. Who knew!?

Sloane lost two relatives to COVID in 2020 (I think) and couldn’t have been much more depressed and still semi-function for about 12-16 months. 

She would barely go through the motions while losing in one first round after another, but finally started coming out of it last fall. 

LOOK AT THESE BIG BUCKS (Zapopan Prize $)

BE2F904D-1CF5-44EA-9466-AC3F5476EC1A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

No Russians should be allowed to play at all until this is resolved. It sucks for them, but they should be banned in all sports. 

Belarussians as well. 

If Azarenka wants to switch to the USA or Karatsev wants to switch over to Israel (who is being suspiciously quiet… 🤬), then they can play again, but not as long as they play for the Belarusian or Russian federations.

• Like 2

When she pounded her chest/heart after winning, my eyes got a bit misty.

It’s amazing that she kept her cool when the uppity Russian kid had breakpoints. 

I’m a big Svitolina fan these days. I won’t even hold it against her that she recently got lip injections. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Leylah up now in a bright-ass top

I wore a similarly colored top tonight when I headed out for a bike ride just before dusk. 

It’s a great color for visibility.

Same reason that tennis balls went from white to their current yellow. 

Same reason Gyasi Zardes bleaches the top of his ‘fro. (Although Zardes is pretty easy to spot due to his “unique” first touch.)

Re: Bright yellow…

Three absolute rules should be in place for professional tennis.

1) You can’t where any clothes/shoes in a solid color that matches the color of the tennis ball 🎾.   (Yellow is okay, but not that yellow-green of the ball… Leylah Fernandez)

2) Your grunt cannot last past when the ball crosses the net. (Sonego -ATP, Sabalenka -WTA are the w worst offenders.)

3) You cannot smack your racket, wave your arms, or scream out to distract when you’re opponent is preparing to serve or hit an overhead. (Brooksby)

Svitolina is extremely tight in her match with Tomova from Bulgaria. 

She was up 5-3 and I think lost a Breakpoint that would have given her the set. She definitely lost at 5-4 when serving for the set. 

So many rallies were weak forehands just waiting/hoping for the Bulgarian to dump the ball into the net. A good opponent would have crushed many of her shots into next week. I can’t recall a top seed being so timid. 

I think that Svitolina is just feeling so much pressure that she doesn’t have any touch in tonight’s match. 🇺🇦 

The level of play, the power of the first serves and most of the forehands of the Martic v Bouzkova match is a level or two above almost every rally of the Svitolina v Tomova match  

It just illustrates how tentatively Svitolina was playing that she played down to a level that allowed Tomova to be competitive.

Finally, after Bouzkova just wrapped up the last game to win the first set, they were going to commercial and there was a closeup of Marie Bouzkova’s water bottle by her bench seat.

9D3EB2DE-3A24-4313-975B-4FC1D0465C38.thumb.jpeg.4845ea3a36b9ae28ee21186373a4c2e6.jpeg

From Prague to Florida…

”BOUZIE BOTTLE”

…to a court near you!

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Martic is sneaky hot. 

I have a friend who had a thing for long legs back at the end of college/early post undergrad. 

He wouldn’t have been able to stop talking about Martic if we had attended a match in Monterrey and she had been playing back then.
💃🏻 . . . 👀

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yastremska keeps on rolling. 

She is not a patient player. 👀

She goes for a winner almost immediately rather than settling into a rally and waiting for an opportune time to go for it. 

There were lots of breaks in this match, including when Yastremska was serving for the match at 5-4 in the second, but she pulled it out in the tie-breaker on her third match point. (After racing to a 6-1 lead.)

She has the power to be really good if she can develop a head for the game. Maybe the tragic events in Ukraine will sharpen her focus. 🤷‍♂️
🇺🇦🤞

I watched the replay just now and something weird happened with the sound when a flicker happened on the TV, but I thought that that was the storm in Dallas. 

I did notice the crowd yelling out during points when they thought that a ball may have gone out. 

Perhaps premature exultation is a problem with the fans in Monterrey,  but I thought that they needed an adult to tell them to stop touching themselves and keep it in their pants until the point was actually over.