Jump to content

HLSR cookoff raffle ticket


Mitch Hedberg
 Share

Recommended Posts

Our cook team at the rodeo is doing a raffle for your choice of a Polaris ATV or $8000 cash. Approx 250 tickets to be sold. If over 250 tix are sold additional cash prizes will be added. This will also allow you in the tent for bbq, beer, booze and band. Need not be present to win. Tickets are $100. DM for more info.


To mods: if these type listings aren’t allowed please delete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Our cook team at the rodeo is doing a raffle for your choice of a Polaris ATV or $8000 cash. Approx 250 tickets to be sold. If over 250 tix are sold additional cash prizes will be added. This will also allow you in the tent for bbq, beer, booze and band. Need not be present to win. Tickets are $100. DM for more info.


To mods: if these type listings aren’t allowed please delete. 

What day is this on/for? Give more info in your post.  

Edited by Tex48
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

What day is this on/for? Give more info in your post.  

Well hell…duh…Feb 24-26 at the Houston Rodeo at Reliant stadium. The drawing is on Saturday 26th. We don’t usually have trouble selling our raffle tickets or finding sponsors but with times as they are and the small town we live in, it’s been slow so are we trying to get a few more sold. To be clear the raffle ticket gets you into our private tent but does not include admission to the cookoff. The raffle is used to help fund our participation and the resulting scholarships for our area from us and what we receive from the Houston Rodeo Go Texan. 

0641623E-3653-4C56-AF9F-70BB7C770597.jpeg

0E626FE6-51AC-4593-AB4D-9D6FAAC862B3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Well hell…duh…Feb 24-26 at the Houston Rodeo at Reliant stadium. The drawing is on Saturday 26th. We don’t usually have trouble selling our raffle tickets or finding sponsors but with times as they are and the small town we live in, it’s been slow so are we trying to get a few more sold. To be clear the raffle ticket gets you into our private tent but does not include admission to the cookoff. The raffle is used to help fund our participation and the resulting scholarships for our area from us and what we receive from the Houston Rodeo Go Texan. 

0641623E-3653-4C56-AF9F-70BB7C770597.jpeg

0E626FE6-51AC-4593-AB4D-9D6FAAC862B3.png

I might be misunderstanding this but do we get access for all 3 days?  And is there food and booze all 3 days included?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I might be misunderstanding this but do we get access for all 3 days?  And is there food and booze all 3 days included?

Friday or Saturday night and yes we have beer, bar, frozen alcoholic drink of some sort and bands every night. I’m not doing a very good job of describing this I know. I’ve been going to this thing 25 years and cooking for 20 so I just assume people in Houston area know what it’s about. Our cookers are 2 time tailgaters of the year at Texans games. Put out a pretty good spread. Tents are 21+ after 5. Food served around 6:30. We are not a mega corporate tent so we try to keep the numbers manageable so everyone can get a plate and drinks without long lines. I probably won’t sell more than 10 or 20 more tickets. We are also a straight shot from the gate to the tent so not a lot of walking once inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Friday or Saturday night and yes we have beer, bar, frozen alcoholic drink of some sort and bands every night. I’m not doing a very good job of describing this I know. I’ve been going to this thing 25 years and cooking for 20 so I just assume people in Houston area know what it’s about. Our cookers are 2 time tailgaters of the year at Texans games. Put out a pretty good spread. Tents are 21+ after 5. Food served around 6:30. We are not a mega corporate tent so we try to keep the numbers manageable so everyone can get a plate and drinks without long lines. I probably won’t sell more than 10 or 20 more tickets. We are also a straight shot from the gate to the tent so not a lot of walking once inside. 

 

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely interested.  I have a date next week and if it goes well, his would be the perfect thing to take her to.  If you have any left by then, I will buy some.  Thanks!

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

 

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely interested.  I have a date next week and if it goes well, his would be the perfect thing to take her to.  If you have any left by then, I will buy some.  Thanks!

Treat you like a VIP and have you in the saddle for sure! 🤘🏻Just drop me a message next week if interested. Should have some available through next weekend

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Jackson county is a good spot in my past recollection. Love the go Texan county tents so much more than the Corp stuff. 

Thank you. For a Go Texan tent I think we do a helluva job. I’m also a Tenness Squire with Jack Daniels and their tent is the definition of a cattle call anymore. Not near as good as it used to be. The commercialization of the cookoff over the years is crazy. I can see at somE point they will stick all of us Go Texan teams in a corner somewhere and it will be all huge commercial teams. The money it takes to go and the rules and regulations are making it hard on the smaller counties. It’s probably a matter of time before we won’t be able to afford to go with our limited sponsor base. I’m almost too old for it anymore anyway lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

We used to hammer Victoria and Refugio counties all 3 nights and help demobe on Sunday AM. I’ve kind of lost some of the desire over the last several years, but man what a good time.  

Yep you were right next to us. Victoria has stepped up last couple years. We gladly stay up all night setting up stuff Wednesday night but that Sunday morning tear down after three days of drinking is a bitch these days. Especially if it’s cold and/or rainy. It’s turned into Vegas to me. I’m never going back…until the next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mitch Hedberg said:

Thank you. For a Go Texan tent I think we do a helluva job. I’m also a Tenness Squire with Jack Daniels and their tent is the definition of a cattle call anymore. Not near as good as it used to be. The commercialization of the cookoff over the years is crazy. I can see at somE point they will stick all of us Go Texan teams in a corner somewhere and it will be all huge commercial teams. The money it takes to go and the rules and regulations are making it hard on the smaller counties. It’s probably a matter of time before we won’t be able to afford to go with our limited sponsor base. I’m almost too old for it anymore anyway lol

I’ll agree on the commercialization/monetization. 
 

My wife and I volunteered at Fort Hood with a cook team in October. It was a fun and rewarding experience, but there was an assumed quid pro quo that we would receive a ticket to their tent at the HLSR Cookoff. We inquired with their chairman about a ticket, and he asked for a $250 donation per person. This guy is the most charitable person I’ve ever met. He’ll go anywhere in the US to cook for troops/first responders, but even he has to ask for a big check. 
 

The days of your buddies sneaking you in through the back of the tent are long gone. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll agree on the commercialization/monetization. 
 

My wife and I volunteered at Fort Hood with a cook team in October. It was a fun and rewarding experience, but there was an assumed quid pro quo that we would receive a ticket to their tent at the HLSR Cookoff. We inquired with their chairman about a ticket, and he asked for a $250 donation per person. This guy is the most charitable person I’ve ever met. He’ll go anywhere in the US to cook for troops/first responders, but even he has to ask for a big check. 
 

The days of your buddies sneaking you in through the back of the tent are long gone. 

$250/ head doesn’t seem bad. 
 

I know it’s corporate but I have sponsored a tent for years and it cost me $10k/year and I only get 6 passes a night and a shitty banner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LebongJames said:

$250/ head doesn’t seem bad. 
 

I know it’s corporate but I have sponsored a tent for years and it cost me $10k/year and I only get 6 passes a night and a shitty banner.

Anytime you want to sponsor in Houston bring it on! lol Half of that will get you twice that and probably a better time 🤘🏻 our most expensive package is $2500. We aren’t corporate and our whole county has 20,000 people. Gotta keep it “affordable” as these things go. 
But yeah I see what the corporate tents get and it would be nice to not stress about the dollars every year but I have no desire for 1000s of people a day. 300-400 is enough for a good time with no drama or issues and keep things flowing. Bigger is not always better. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The money involved overall is crazy. The team I tag along with has had their pit bought twice.  Once some guy offered them 2x what they paid. At the time it’s yeah drunk guy whatever, then he called Sunday and asked where to send the ~40k check and if they could drop it off.   County tents are where it’s at though, imo. I’ve typically got 3-5 vendor tents I can hit, but fuck worrying about work and who’s there when it’s time to take it up a notch. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...