New AC system question

15 seer for $11k, or 17 seer 2 stage compressor for $15k, or 18 seer variable compressor for $16k….

Is it worth the extra? I’m leaning toward the cheap one, it will be so much better than the worn out 17 yo system it is replacing.

This is for the whole system, outside unit, inside has furnace, all new everything. 10 year warranty equipment and labor.

AZ. Not sure on the sf, there are three systems. Only replacing this one. My reputable guy has done the calcs so im just looking for if the extra couple grand is worth it for the two stage or variable motors.

Who knows how long I’ll stay. But plan would be to keep as rental if I move out.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

AZ. Not sure on the sf, there are three systems. Only replacing this one. My reputable guy has done the calcs so im just looking for if the extra couple grand is worth it for the two stage or variable motors.

Who knows how long I’ll stay. But plan would be to keep as rental if I move out.

Variable speed should save dollars over time. so you need to do a cost analysis.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, tbone_ said:

it will be so much better than the worn out 17 yo system it is replacing.

While at my mom’s today overseeing some home maintenance tasks, I glanced at the Goodman 13 SEER, 5-ton system I arranged in 1993 and felt great that it’s still running like a top. 🙂

Bernard

1941E794-6A1E-45F3-ACF6-FFB6A75721DB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bernard said:

While at my mom’s today overseeing some home maintenance tasks, I glanced at the Goodman 13 SEER, 5-ton system I arranged in 1993 and felt great that it’s still running like a top. 🙂

Bernard

1941E794-6A1E-45F3-ACF6-FFB6A75721DB.jpeg

That’s good news.

As a note, the  4x sleepers under the compressor need to be replaced and the new ones need to be installed on walk pads.  The mod bit roof membrane appears to be new.   The roofer should have done that.   AC constantly vibrating will dig a hole in the roof membrane. 

While at my mom’s today overseeing some home maintenance tasks, I glanced at the Goodman 13 SEER, 5-ton system I arranged in 1993 and felt great that it’s still running like a top.
Bernard
1941E794-6A1E-45F3-ACF6-FFB6A75721DB.thumb.jpeg.82fb3fc3bd2d7b4f26f795bc0e189679.jpeg

Yea the other two of the same vintage still going strong. But one was toast.

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

That’s good news.

As a note, the  4x sleepers under the compressor need to be replaced and the new ones need to be installed on walk pads.  The mod bit roof membrane appears to be new.   The roofer should have done that.   AC constantly vibrating will dig a hole in the roof membrane. 

Good tip. Thanks.

Bernard