Anyone install a gas insert fireplace? Where a gas line did not exist?

One of the things I have never understood, and that has bothered me since where bought the house 20 years ago was no gas to the fireplace.  It is especially annoying since the fireplace is in the middle of the house with only clean out under the log rack.  So we don't use it.  20 years ago I did some research and it was too cumbersome.  But now with the flexible gas pex and an insert I might just be able to make it work.  A lot of the gas line after the fact into the old firebox made me nervous about screwing something up.   had to requild the firebox because it was cracked and failed brick when I bought the house.   So the brick work doesn't concern me much.  Especially if I am putting an insert into the spot.

Another reason I am thinking about this was the snowpocolype.  If I put a natural gas unit in the existing fireplace enclosure I would not only be able to enjoy seeing a fire, but it might keep me from freezing in a future winter.

So anybody done a fireplace insert install?  Anyone run any Yellow Pex themselves?  Seems like not that difficult a project.  But that's what we all say before we are cussing our asses off! 😉

Edited by horn4life

Yeah, I just used Pex for the first time on my Studio project (renting the mofo out today, yay) and it was really easy. 

I did have 1 fuckup...I didn't flush the lines to my shower valve adequately, and wood shavings clogged the cartridge. 

Ours are converted from wood burning to gas logs. It wasn‘t much of an issue to get it done. However, you’re dealing with gas lines, pay a plumber to do the connections and test everything. Don’t screw around with gas.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem is really the access point from the attic into the side of the fireplace is petty skinny, and that is really the hitch.  The placement of the fireplace in in the interior but only 6 feet from the outside wall so the rafter point would already be skinny.  Add the fact the roof is vaulted and  its gets skinnier and a real PITA.  I was going to actually remove the chimney cap to be able to see to route the lines.  I think my access is probably just too fubar, but if I could get the leverage to drill a hole through the brick in the small crawl space then it could probably be done.   But trying to fish the pex through might be a bitch (thus the remove the cap paln). 

My concern would be the connections point coming from any insert to the end of the pex connection.  In other words does fireplace Gas insert have enough heat shielding to protect a pex fitting if connected there?  I haven't done any research, just one of the questions/concerns.

I actually have an electrical outlet in front of the fireplace and I could reroute that to create and electric insert, but gas.... is soo much nicer.  And Snowpocolypse...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few months before the snowpocolypse……the wife had the gas company tear up the neighbor across the street’s yard, add a connection, run the gas line via a trench across the street, down the side of our property (cost =0) and then we paid a plumber to run the line to the fireplace and purchase and install a gas fireplace set up. And custom doors. Maybe $3500. 

Came in pretty handy.