Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I do know more about football and less about recruiting than you. It’s easy to do.  Spend more time addressing autocorrects gone wrong.

Every time you post on this board, we get collectively dumber thanks to your efforts. 

"Nuh uhhh!! I'm really smart!!! Ignore all of my posts and just trust me, guys!!!"

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This seems to be true in every sport, but especially baseball.

"All that guy has to do is learn to control his fastball!" 

"If he can learn to lay off the breaking ball..."

Yeah...

Years ago when my relative was being recruited in baseball (played for WG @Rice), I had a conversation with a Pirates area scout and this conversation came up. I asked what he looked for most in a high school prospect, “swing and miss” stuff, clean mechanics, physical build, etc. 

Without hesitation he said, “command of the fastball”, followed by “swing and miss in the zone”. He said, “If they’re not throwing strikes in high school, it’s an issue. Very rare to see someone improve control as they advance in competition”. 
Stating the obvious, but it’s amazing how many coaches are convinced they can “fix” mechanics and muscle memory.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Years ago when my relative was being recruited in baseball (played for WG @Rice), I had a conversation with a Pirates area scout and this conversation came up. I asked what he looked for most in a high school prospect, “swing and miss” stuff, clean mechanics, physical build, etc. 

Without hesitation he said, “command of the fastball”, followed by “swing and miss in the zone”. He said, “If they’re not throwing strikes in high school, it’s an issue. Very rare to see someone improve control as they advance in competition”. 
Stating the obvious, but it’s amazing how many coaches are convinced they can “fix” mechanics and muscle memory.

We were in the playoffs going up against a Clear Lake team with two old boys who threw in the 90's. One of them had control and we eventually got to him. Stud. They bring the other guy in and he throws harder, upper 90's. His control is notoriously garbage. I'm the first guy to face him and on his second or third pitch, he whips one up at my head. It nicked the tip of my nose as I tried to escape and his pitch seared the skin into a turf burn as it went by and I looked like Rudolph for a week. Hey, got to first and we won though.

Anyway, the guy with control in the low to mid 90's never got drafted in HS or college. The idiot in the upper 90's went in the middle-late rounds of that summer's MLB draft. Played 2 years, couldn't stop walking people and has probably been selling insurance ever since. Scouts can talk about control (not singling this experience out since what he said may be how he really rolled), but they absolutely crave something elite like high 90's heat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1