Texas Football 2022 - PFF Grades

Hiphopopotamos

I wish someone could explain these grades. Sorrell gets 78.5 rush def, 42.5 tackling, 56.8 pressure, and 66.1 in coverage, but a 78.9 overall grade? How does that make sense? 

You sucked in math at school didn’t you? I mean when would those scores not come out to be higher.

Good question.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, Had Enough said:

You sucked in math at school didn’t you? I mean when would those scores not come out to be higher.

Good question.

PFF explains why season grades may not match individual game grades.

From PFF:

Season-level grades aren’t simply an average of every game-grade a player compiles over a season, as the season grade credits the entire body of work. An 80.0 game grade is not close to one of the best games of all-time, but 16 games of 80.0 grades will equal an outstanding season of consistency and likely one of the better seasons in a given year. A simpler example is a three-touchdown game from a quarterback. We’ve seen many three-touchdown games but doing so in all 16 games would be one of the best seasons of all-time.

It is entirely possible that a player will have a season grade higher than any individual single-game grade he achieved because playing well for an extended period of time is harder to do than for a short period.

In regards to Sorrell specifically - it looks like PFF has updated the grading for the game against Iowa St:

image.thumb.png.6286fcfafe5954f861cabc083c7b9b34.png

I guess I'm going to have to wait until later in the week before I post individual game grades to make sure I have their 'final' numbers 

On 10/16/2022 at 2:38 PM, Codaxx said:

I wish someone could explain these grades. Sorrell gets 78.5 rush def, 42.5 tackling, 56.8 pressure, and 66.1 in coverage, but a 78.9 overall grade? How does that make sense? 

The grades were updated and look more in line with what would be expected.

The season grades make some sense. I suppose that rationale applies similarly for individual games in which all the individual grades are less than the overall grade. That’s counterintuitive obviously from a mathematical standpoint.

There are a couple of grades that I’m not buying. I did rewatch C. Jones and there’s no way I can fathom that grade. He did allow a pressure, which I’m not entirely sure was his complete fault, but he moves some dudes. He did it quite often too.