Supreme Court allows Ohio voter purge

Cheeseweasel

The Supreme Court is allowing Ohio to clean up its voting rolls by targeting people who haven’t cast ballots in a while.

The justices are rejecting, by a 5-4 vote Monday, arguments that the practice violates a federal law intended to increase the ranks of registered voters. A handful of other states also use voters’ inactivity to trigger a process that could lead to their removal from the voting rolls.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-allows-ohio-voter-purge/2018/06/11/fea26e08-6d81-11e8-b4d8-eaf78d4c544c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c4df227d7703

Georgia does this too btw, they only mail out notices to people who haven't voted to say that their registration will expire and of course many people who don't receive these have moved or don't exactly have permanent housing.

Is the process of registering to vote really a disenfranchisement?  Maybe every State should purge all voter registries every election cycle.  Everyone should register every election cycle if they want to vote.  "One" less govco database keeping track of everything we the people are doing.

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Is the process of registering to vote really a disenfranchisement?  Maybe every State should purge all voter registries every election cycle.  Everyone should register every election cycle if they want to vote.  "One" less govco database keeping track of everything we the people are doing.

Maybe it's a sign of the times. If voting is important to you, you'll figure it out. It's easier just to blame others for your plight than do something about it.

I believe the government has made it pretty easy to register and vote. Much easier now than in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, bernorange said:

Put election days on Saturdays

Make voter registration automatic with license renewal.

Poor people have a hard time getting to polls and registering if things are only open at certain times. I know we live in a pretty nice world, but these things matter. We shouldn't be making it harder to vote. The idea that fraud is rampant only exists for purposes like pushing these types of purging of voting registries.

I grew up with a single mom who worked two jobs and had three kids and she didn't have time to do anything for herself much less vote.

There are states that are doing this and seeing increases in voting. But there are also states doing everything they can do prevent them.

While I agree that people should do more to be a part of the electoral process, it is dumb to compare situations across the financial spectrum.

• Like 1

It's fine to key it to license renewal as long as that isn't the only way to register.  (I am assuming there is some way to determine eligibility to vote in the license renewal process.)

EDIT:  eliminating political stuff

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's fine to key it to license renewal as long as that isn't the only way to register.  (I am assuming there is some way to determine eligibility to vote in the license renewal process.)

The big problem here is that the right doesn't want to make it easy to vote.  Ergo, no incentive.

No CR, bro.

Under Ohio rules, registered voters who fail to vote in a two-year period are targeted for eventual removal from registration rolls, even if they haven’t moved and remain eligible. The state said it only uses the disputed process after first comparing its voter lists with a U.S. postal service list of people who have reported a change of address. But not everyone who moves notifies the post office, the state said.

So the state asks people who haven’t voted in two years to confirm their eligibility. If they do, or if they show up to vote over the next four years, voters remain registered. If they do nothing, their names eventually fall off the list of registered voters.

“Combined with the two years of nonvoting before notice is sent, that makes a total of six years of nonvoting before removal,” Alito wrote.

Edited by clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Put election days on Saturdays

Make voter registration automatic with license renewal.

Poor people have a hard time getting to polls and registering if things are only open at certain times. I know we live in a pretty nice world, but these things matter. We shouldn't be making it harder to vote. The idea that fraud is rampant only exists for purposes like pushing these types of purging of voting registries.

I grew up with a single mom who worked two jobs and had three kids and she didn't have time to do anything for herself much less vote.

There are states that are doing this and seeing increases in voting. But there are also states doing everything they can do prevent them.

While I agree that people should do more to be a part of the electoral process, it is dumb to compare situations across the financial spectrum.

I understand your thought process, but most "poor" people I know work irregular schedules and are more likely to have to work on a Saturday. Also, most poor people I know couldn't care less about voting. Of course, they will still bitch about things.

What about a law allowing employees time off to be able to vote? Polls where I live (and I assume most places) are open 8AM-8PM and most people don't work that much in a day. If someone does work 2 or 3 jobs, a law will allow time for them to get to the polls. Seems like most employers would be good with someone taking time off to vote with a little heads up before hand.

20 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

What about a law allowing employees time off to be able to vote?

That already is the law in Texas but practically speaking, it's not hard to imagine employers being retaliating against employees for taking advantage of that law.