19-Year-Old Maryland Football Player Dies

Bullneck

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn, that's rough....

With the temperatures getting so hot so fast this year, I'm afraid we may see more incidents of this than in past years.

Athletes will need a course provided by the institution in which the student athlete plays, that instructs how to know warning signs before it's too late...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Athletes will need a course provided by the institution in which the student athlete plays, that instructs how to know warning signs before it's too late...

Slight derail, but we're going to have to do the same here at work.  What with all the metal buildings, steel equipment and pipe in our yard, we "shot" and infrared temperature gun across the parking lot yesterday, 6' off the ground and registered 113'-114'

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

What is the mechanism that causes the liver to fail due to extreme temperature? I didn't know the liver was the organ that failed under those conditions. I would have thought brain or kidney, but I know squat.

I'm no doctor nor do I know any of the details of this, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.  Extreme dehydration (and elevated body temps) and extreme hydration (Hyponatremia) both cause renal system problems, so kidneys, liver, etc. suffer. 

Sounds like he got a (emergency?) liver transplant, so he may have had a weak liver in the first place.  It would be surprising to me if he somehow went to the head of the liver transplant line, since there are way more patients than there are livers available, and folks wait sometimes months or years for a transplant.  

Edited by CycleTex87

Is this not already a thing? Because I can remember being taught to watch for signs of extreme problems when I was in school.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I'm no doctor nor do I know any of the details of this, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.  Extreme dehydration (and elevated body temps) and extreme hydration (Hyponatremia) both cause renal system problems, so kidneys, liver, etc. suffer. 

Sounds like he got a (emergency?) liver transplant, so he may have had a weak liver in the first place.  It would be surprising to me if he somehow went to the head of the liver transplant line, since there are way more patients than there are livers available, and folks wait sometimes months or years for a transplant.  

If he was as bad off as it states, direct thermal energy can cause liver cell necrosis along with a presumed hypoxia. It must have been pretty bad, as hepatocyte injury is generally reversible, reserving a liver transplant for rare cases. 

Slight derail, but we're going to have to do the same here at work.  What with all the metal buildings, steel equipment and pipe in our yard, we "shot" and infrared temperature gun across the parking lot yesterday, 6' off the ground and registered 113'-114'
Electrolyte drinks are a must this time of year for our warehouse guys along with numerous giant box fans.
  • Like 1