Battlefield V

MillerEP

Yeah I really like what they did with BF1 and I think the game was really polished, finally.

its just been hard for me to be as invested long term as I was with bf3 and bf4, even nf1942 and bf2.  I just wasn't as interested in the weapons, vehicles etc but yet the maps and gameplay were really solid.  It's just fighting ottomans isn't as "fun" as hunting nazis or haji.

going to ww2 again is exciting, hopefully they'll keep my attention longer.

also I really hope they'll go back to the older style of unlocking attachments or whatever for guns.  Not bf1s 6 versions of a gun with weird unlock patterns that sometimes for me to get kills with a gun I may absolutely hate

WWII? But they already did that with BF1 /s

I'll definitely be in. Hopefully they take lessons learned from BF1 (Operations might be the best mode I've played in years, I like the new vehicle spawn system as it prevents camping/spawn trapping) and from BF4 (unlock system is a lot better imo). I'd like it if Premium didn't exist, but at the same time, I understand why they do it. A free DLC + paying for cosmetics might be good though as I was always more willing to pay $3 for a skin than the loot boxes that they have. 

On 4/2/2018 at 6:47 PM, Spartan52 said:

The original Battlefield 1942 was WW2, this franchise is easily my favourite of FPS

Same here.

i honestly liked that weapons were faction specific. 

Bf2 kept in that same vein and it was great.  Especially the desert combat and project reality mods.

i know it's never popular but I wish BFV would take some cues from what they did right with bf1942 and bf2 to bring it back home.  Americans with m1 garands and carbines while the Nazi had their Mausers and kahrs, etc.  

also ill say it yet again but I wish the rank system would go back to the BF2 days.  Back then it was a grind to make it past Gunnery Sgt or fist sgt if you completed a certain amount of awards.  It was another long grind to master gunnery sgt or sgt major again if you completed more awards. Every rank after that was shorter but still a real grind.  Nothin more deflating than playing BF1 maybe 40 hours and I'm almost a level 100...

i played bf2 for 250+ hours and retired a First Sgt halfway to Sgt Major.  And the rare occasions I played with a Major or Lt.Col it actually was impressive

On 3/30/2018 at 9:56 AM, crackamacgowski said:

BF1 is easily the worst Battlefield so they're going to have to change it up quite a bit for me to even consider it. 

I don't know Hardline didn't exactly have glowing reviews....I liked it cause I ended up unlocking the .300 Knockout...Over Powered as fuck...rightfully so with all the bullshit you had too do to get it unlocked. 

• 1 month later...

The dlc will be “seasons” in the tides of war. First up will be the fall of Europe.

Sounds like the company is basically letting you create your own soldiers however you’d like within each class.

Also now the engineer class is going to get a toolbox that allows for rebuilding structures, fortifying current structures or building new defenses. Taking a page from Fortnite building but also a standard progression from BF levelution. Sounds cool to build a new fox hole that a support gunner can utilize etc

It can be done properly as long as the hit boxes stay true.

Rainbow six siege has the ability and it also is how you go prone in a corner. Rather than your legs clipping out the back or being magically pushed forward, your character rolls to his back with his feet facing front.

I'm actually excited about this one. From what I've been reading they have made some of the following changes, which most seem for the better (and any of this may change):

Good things I've heard about:

No Premium Pass. No loot boxes. In game purchases are only cosmetic. More importance on squad play because you can fortify certain areas as an Engineer (like Fortnight) and call in artillery. You can drag your buddy to cover before reviving him. Revive now takes a full animation (no more Rambo revives!) Any class can revive now, but Medics have advantages. No more random bullet deviation or "sweet spots" that didn't work in BF1, back to recoil. No more Hero classes or Behemoths. Same Engine as BF1, which I thought looked pretty AND ran smooth.

Bad things I heard about:

Grenades can be caught and thrown back. You have to actually pick up ammo and first aid from the ground rather than sucking it up. You can "dodge" some attacks like BF4's counter knifing? You can lie on your back now and fire.

Edited by MillerEP

Yeah I’m excited about this, more than BF1 from the start.

Mainly, I was interested in BF1 taking in ww1 but in the end I wasn’t as interested in the weapons of ww1 as I thought I’d be.

WW2 is always fun and should be just as fun as bf1942 and 1943.

The back-prone thing doesn’t bother me but I also play RB6 siege which has had back prone in it already. It allowed for a more realistic feeling rotation, rather than having to spin on a belly axis to turn around you just roll from belly to back to look behind you. It also fixed the weird prone angles that happen in corners, against walls or on ledges.

The most depressing thing to me about bfV is the realization that I’m about to have to deal with 24/7 wake island servers for the 7th time in a battlefield game...

I really hope they get the pacific theater right with the island maps.

And maybe just maybe El Alamein could work in BfV

Also as usual I hope they don’t fuck up hardcore mode

If the backwards thing fixes the prone angle thing then I'm all for it. I am NOT a fan of the sliding mechanic people do in BF1, so I just saw the potential for people abusing this mechanic. Good point about Wake Island, we'll have to wait and see.

Just pre-ordered the deluxe edition with the beta and early access. The reveal wasn't as good as BF1 IMO but I'm definitely looking forward to WW2 since I didn't pick up playing battlefield till BF4. Curious to see multiplayer at E3 and all the new immersive game play that they talked about.

• 3 weeks later...

From EA's E3:

You can now move anti-air and artillery around, they're no longer going to be stationary.

More customization options for soldiers and vehicles.

New "Royale" mode. 

You can still slide around (Super sad face) :(

They'll reveal more tomorrow.

Oh man, I like the new Squad Point system and how you unlock the hero class stuff (Called "secret weapons" now). You gain squad points for playing on a squad and your squad leader can exchange those points to spawn vehicles and things, which sounded like it can only be spawned on for your squad? If that's the case I love it, less people camping the plane spawn the entire time.

At the platoon level, for playing the objective, you get points which can be exchanged for "secret weapons" like a flame tank, or a B1 bomb drop. I love this too, since it encourages people to PTFO instead of being sniper fucks the entire time not contributing. 

Also, vehicles now have limited ammo, so no more people with the arty truck sitting back in the spawn the entire time, they're going to have to drive around to find supply depots.

"Operations" is also being revamped to "Grand Operations" to speed things up so people don't get bogged down in 1 church by defenders the entire match.

So far I'm super optimistic about all of these changes...still mad about the sliding and rolling around, so if they can take that shit out this might be the best one yet.

Edited by MillerEP

This gets me even more excited: no more Doritos, spotting is now last known location, knife animations are shorter, guns are now more accurate, snipers have to get headshots and their bullet drop is back, grenades can now be rolled instead of thrown, and accuracy when bunny hopping is reduced by 10x

Edited by MillerEP

• 2 months later...
What are initial impressions? Is this going to play closer to BF4 than BF1?

It’s ok.

Closer to Bf1 but something about it is too twitchy and frenetic. Feels like it’s going more towards cod and fortnite twitch shooting.

Really wish they’d slow it down and make it feel close to the old BF3, bad company days

So I got a chance to play last night for a bit. Performance was not too great on my 1080, as I was experiencing significant framerate stuttering.

I adjusted some settings and it became more playable, also not playing on that one snowy map helped.

It doesn't really have a WW2 feel for me but it was still enjoyable. I agree it feels fast similar to BF1 but I found the guns more enjoyable than those of BF1. I think it has promise but I guess we'll see as time goes on.

Still wish they’d go back to faction specific weapons.

I know the beta doesn’t have much in terms of weapons right now but I wish Americans could only select from US armory and Germans their own, etc. nothing sillier than a bunch of Americans charging with stgs, mg42s and an SS holding their bunker with a BAR and Tommy guns.

Oh and it’s buggy as hell. Love getting hit markers telling me bullets are coming from behind but really I got hit from in front somewhere...

6 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

There are some positives but too often I feel like I’m playing a mashup of bf1 and cod.

Really hope that a few tweaks over the next 2.5 months fix it... cause Im preordering the BFv Xbox One X...

The gunplay does sort of feel like Call of Duty if you are playing the assault class. For me, the game being good depends entirely on how well your squad operates. If they stick together, revive and resupply each other, the game is fun. If everyone is just doing their own thing, it kind of sucks.

I'm digging the game so far. I can definitely see where it's going to be a problem for people who don't have any online friends to squad up with. I tried playing a few rounds with a bunch of JAG's and the game play was horrible compared to playing a full squad with friends.. No PTFO, no revives, no resupplies, nothing. Also, I'm not sure what to think of this ammo/health situation. On one hand it's nice not having an enemy regenerate to 100% after a fire fight (Non Medic), but I run out of bullets too quickly. I feel like when I shoot enemies they are bullet sponges and I'm a one shot kill to anyone else. That V2 rocket call in feature really doesn't work on Rotterdam either since most capture points are covered at most points (Besides D), plus you can't aim your red drop point in the middle of a capture point unless you're in it. Then you take a likely chance of blowing you and your squad to smithereens. They should pull up the mini map and give you the option to drop it where you like that way. 

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pre-Ordered for PS4 a while back. Still says 5 days to play. Was there a special edition to buy?  Only X Box etc?

This is early access for EA Access/Origin Access users only. Sony didn't want to play ball with EA (maybe rightfully so), so Playstation doesn't have EA Access, which means they don't get early access. So as a PS4 user, you're stuck waiting for regular release day like everyone else.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Like 1