Threepeat or Bust: Texas Women’s Tennis 2023

Js1

Texas completed the road trip with a convincing 4-0 win over Tech. Just two matches remaining: non-conference NC State and Baylor for Senior Day and chance to win at least a share of the regular season conference championship.

OU just beat ISU today. So there's now three teams in the conference at the top with one loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

Very revealing interview by Zeynalova.

Some highlights:

-Was dead set on going pro but her mom took over her email and started emailing coaches on her behalf.

-Due to starting the recruiting process so late, she talked with 6 schools (including Georgia and NC State) and only had 3 offers. Said she got lucky with Texas as someone in the 2021 team (I'm guessing Lulu?) turned pro and a spot opened up for her three months before starting college.

-Chose Austin for various reasons- cool town with Apple and Tesla moving to the area (lol from an Austinite perspective I remember a lot of locals groaned about this), UT just won the national championship

-Mentioned about the stress of the war at home

-Due to various other things, developed an eating disorder during the season last year in the midst of a dominating freshmen year.

-Etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aleemay said:

Very revealing interview by Zeynalova.

Some highlights:

-Was dead set on going pro but her mom took over her email and started emailing coaches on her behalf.

-Due to starting the recruiting process so late, she talked with 6 schools (including Georgia and NC State) and only had 3 offers. Said she got lucky with Texas as someone in the 2021 team (I'm guessing Lulu?) turned pro and a spot opened up for her three months before starting college.

-Chose Austin for various reasons- cool town with Apple and Tesla moving to the area (lol from an Austinite perspective I remember a lot of locals groaned about this), UT just won the national championship

-Mentioned about the stress of the war at home

-Due to various other things, developed an eating disorder during the season last year in the midst of a dominating freshmen year.

-Etc.

Compelling interview but mostly softball questions. I would have asked if there was any animosity or resentment toward Joffee after despite all the show of support for Ukraine last season he recruited a Russian player in the off-season. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 4/2/2023 at 6:31 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

TBD if Schnaider for NCST plays against Texas. Still pretty ridiculous someone ranked in the WTA top 100 is currently playing college tennis

lols she just won the first round at the Charleston Open against top 60 Alycia Parks

She should be available to play Texas next Monday: no WTA tournaments due to Fed Cup and she's not on any entry lists for the ITF tournaments

14 hours ago, Aleemay said:

lols she just won the first round at the Charleston Open against top 60 Alycia Parks

She should be available to play Texas next Monday: no WTA tournaments due to Fed Cup and she's not on any entry lists for the ITF tournaments

And today she beat the #13 ranked player in the world. Good luck Nicole Khirin!

On 4/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

6-1 over Baylor. I don’t expect KU to do us any favors against OU tomorrow but it would sure be nice if they did 

They did not. But we will be the #1 seed in the conference tournament 

Great photo, but where is Marlee Zein?
(Ovrootsky's arm sleeve tattoo coming along nicely, but I wish she could get healthy)

big12_1.jpg?width=1128&height=635&mode=crop

My 7th grade girl plays tennis and we went down for the matches last Saturday. It was really nice, I’d never been to the tennis center. Malaika and Khirin were down early and rallied to win, it was fun to watch. Walked to the co-op and picked up some merch, did a little tour of campus along the way, saw an albino squirrel on the way back. Kiddo said she’s going to play for UT, lol.

26680e9c2d5fa6d3f8f9feb650a0db52.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 686 said:

My 7th grade girl plays tennis and we went down for the matches last Saturday. It was really nice, I’d never been to the tennis center. Malaika and Khirin were down early and rallied to win, it was fun to watch. Walked to the co-op and picked up some merch, did a little tour of campus along the way, saw an albino squirrel on the way back. Kiddo said she’s going to play for UT, lol.

26680e9c2d5fa6d3f8f9feb650a0db52.jpg

If your daughter wants to experience Texas tennis, sign her up for Texas Tennis Camp this summer. She'll have a blast and will be off your hands for a week. I did the camp for 4 summers growing up and loved it. Back then it was run by coach Center and coach Moore, so now I assume Joffee and Berque lead it. If she's like 99.99% of tennis players that probably won't get a Texas Tennis Scholarship, Texas tennis camp is the best way to get the Longhorn tennis experience, bar none.

• Like 1

This is about the most challenging a Big12 bracket could get for us, and I think it’s exactly what we need. If seeds hold, we’ll first get a chance to improve on how we played against TCU last month. Then, we’ll get a chance to avenge our only conference loss of the season to OKST. If we win that, then we’ll get a chance to beat OU for a third time this season. If we come out on top, that should give us confidence headed into the NCAAs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

And Texas is without Marlee for undisclosed reasons. Rapolu isn’t a doubles player, but she’ll be asked to play doubles and singles the rest of the way it appears 

Took doubles 

Zein posted about 'early retirement' so I guess Texas is down to six scholarship players

Baylor currently on the bubble for the NCAAs. Have to wonder how warm the seat is for the BU coach. Baylor's domination seems like eons ago and are now fighting to stay in the upper half of the league. Significant drop off.

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas takes the tight doubles point against OKST

Beginning to think Texas was going to choke; it was either the 6th or 7th match point at line 1

Really windy, will be interesting to see how much movement there'll be on Tsaiya's serve

1 minute ago, Aleemay said:

Beginning to think Texas was going to choke; it was either the 6th or 7th match point at line 1

Really windy, will be interesting to see how much movement there'll be on Tsaiya's serve

Yep. Line 1 had 4 consecutive match points at 5-4 and I was thinking the same thing. Thought we were headed to a tiebreak but fortunately Texas held and then broke for the set. 

I also think Joffee needs to consider replacing Rapolu with Thomas at line 3 doubles to keep Rapolu focused on singles.  

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

SMU didn’t drop a single point in route to their AAC championship. That early season win against them looks even better now. (Wouldn’t shock me if they are the #2 seed in the Austin regional)

Right now SMU is ranked 32 so would be a 'low' 2 seed. Can see the NCAA committee easily sending them to College Station as A&M will be the second national seed. Also Baylor will more than certainly be sent to College Station too if they make the tournament.

A&M Corpus Christi will be the four seed in either College Station or Austin. SEC will have 8-9 teams in the tournament, so good odds one of LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, or Auburn gets sent to Austin.

If Texas makes it to the round of 16, opponent will be one of Stanford, Pepperdine, or Duke. Hoping not Stanford- will depend on the Big 10 and West Coast Conference tournaments this weekend.

Team is up to #9 in the rankings

39 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

When do they announce the championship bracket for women;'s tennis?  

May 1

The NCAA Championship bracket will be unveiled during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Monday, May 1. The show will be streamed online at www.NCAA.com beginning at 5 p.m. Central.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:57 PM, Aleemay said:

Joffe better win Coach of the Year- replacing half your team is no easy feat. He's also not won the award since 2018!

Argument could be made for Khirin to win both Freshmen and Player of the Year

Joffe did not win Coach of the Year (ISU coach won it)

Khirin won FOY and POY and Pachkaleva won Newcomer of the Year

• Hook 'Em 1