Roatan Honduras

milkman

We did an excursion where we rode jetskis and snorkeled. That part was okay. Feels kinda rushed, and I can ride jetskies anywhere, but that's what the lady wanted to do. The snorkeling was decent. They also did horseback riding in the water and all of that stuff. We didn't do that. Ate at their little restaurant/bar which was actually good, called Lionfish Louie's, apparently opened by some guy from South Carolina who moved to there. Do some drinking there, and you realize quick they've been holding back in the drinks on the ship. We talked with a couple who was going to rent a car and just drive around the island. I dunno if I'd do that, but...

Ladies at the souvenir tents do not like "no thank you." 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, milkman said:

on a cruise ship

Prayers.

Roatan is a divers haven.  I can tell you that the prices go up when the cruise ship is in town.  We've stayed on West Bay Beach a couple of times.  Iron Shore Grill is the best restaurant on the beach if you want to get lunch.  The rest is all basically bar food.  If you have a car or driver Cal's Cantina has fantastic food.  Cal lacks in personality but the man can cook.

• Like 1

Prayers.
Roatan is a divers haven.  I can tell you that the prices go up when the cruise ship is in town.  We've stayed on West Bay Beach a couple of times.  Iron Shore Grill is the best restaurant on the beach if you want to get lunch.  The rest is all basically bar food.  If you have a car or driver Cal's Cantina has fantastic food.  Cal lacks in personality but the man can cook.

I've been on a diving trip 20+ years ago. From what I recall the west end of the island was where the more upscale places were.

I just want the hell away from this cesspool of people on the ship. A nice local bar/restaurant on the beach sounds great!

Roatan or Mahogany Bay? If sailing a Carnival brand (Carnival/Princess), you'll go to Mahogany Bay (their private port area) and there's a beach where you can just hang out if you want. It will be crowded. If another line, then the west end is where most tourists go. Or just book an excursion doing something that sounds fun.  

There's always something for snorkeling on a catamaran with lunch. They'll take you out, snorkel for 45 minutes and then each some local food while the drinks flow. It's hard not to have a good time drinking on a boat.

Roatan or Mahogany Bay? If sailing a Carnival brand (Carnival/Princess), you'll go to Mahogany Bay (their private port area) and there's a beach where you can just hang out if you want. It will be crowded. If another line, then the west end is where most tourists go. Or just book an excursion doing something that sounds fun.  
There's always something for snorkeling on a catamaran with lunch. They'll take you out, snorkel for 45 minutes and then each some local food while the drinks flow. It's hard not to have a good time drinking on a boat.

Roatan...we are going on a Royal Caribbean boat! I'm trying to get away from the gen pop on this boat. Helicopter to a private island would be great!

2 hours ago, milkman said:

I've been on a diving trip 20+ years ago. From what I recall the west end of the island was where the more upscale places were.

I just want the hell away from this cesspool of people on the ship. A nice local bar/restaurant on the beach sounds great!

Get a driver and go to Cal's.  You'll get away from the crowd for a while.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, milkman said:

Heading to Roatan on a cruise ship. What the heck do you do for a day to get away from all these crazy people on a ship?

3 hours ago, milkman said:

Are your parents forcing you to go on a family cruise?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think cruises are like Las Vegas. They ain't for everyone, but if you can't have some fun for a few days, then that's on you.

We are doing a cruise in Norway in August and I expect it to be a completely different crowd than the typical Caribbean cruise crowd (and that's a good thing).

Just now, VABuckeye said:

We are doing a cruise in Norway in August and I expect it to be a completely different crowd than the typical Caribbean cruise crowd (and that's a good thing).

Oh yeah, absolutely. And lots of differences between lines, departure ports, and even trip length. 

A 4-day out of Galveston on Carnival is going to be very different than a 7-day out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity, even though they may go to the same ports.

We are doing a 13 day cruise out of Athens in September. First time to sail with Oceania. It's a smaller ship, around 1000 people, and supposedly upscale. Price is definitely higher.  I did Carnival once because we went with friends who use them all the time so they have status and we got extra perks. We had a good time. You just have to understand what you're getting, before you go.

We don't cruise a lot, because we prefer to go somewhere and just wander for several days, but this gave us the chance to hit some places that are on the bucket list, but we really don't want to spend a bunch of time at. 

Edited by Mo Horn