Robocalls for donations

Gil Bang

They're a scam?  This is my shocked face.

NYT does their usual good work to undwind some bullshit here.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/05/14/us/politics/scam-robocalls-donations-policing-veterans.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytpolitics

...Veterans Action Network also contracted extensively with other call centers and fund-raising consultants — with no apparent links to Mr. Connors and his associates — to solicit donations. Overall, The Times’s analysis found, Veterans Action Network spent about 92 percent of its donations on more fund-raising, a level that made it an outlier among its peers...

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just came here to post this.  89 million dollars evaporates just like that. Money for "fallen heroes," police officers that have been wounded etc ...

I was actually going to post it on the GQP thread but these folks might not even really be GQP supporters in real life but, rather, Surly Horns posters who finally decided they want in on the grift. 😉

Guaranteed fight with wife every April 14th. She say she just gives them money to get them to stop calling but it just guarantees more calls each year (or month).

No matter how worthy the cause/service is, I won't engage any phone or front door solicitation.

I've settled on the Foundation, my Church, and St. Judes pretty exclusively and I hope they are worthy enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

I laugh that when I answer my phone and the voice is some good ole boy Texas accent, I already know it’s asking for money for fallen Texas law enforcement. 

unfortunately with my job and helping with the care of some older relatives, I have to answer unknown calls.