Electricity Provider Basics

Our son is moving to Dallas next month and has to sign on with an electricity provider.  We have not resided in Texas during the era of electric deregulation, and really don't know where to start with this.  Of course, the apartment management is referring us to their "preferred" electric company, which I suspect may not offer the best rates.  Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Avoid variable rate plans and read the Electricity Facts label. Some plans have minimum usage requirements, some have different pricing tiers based on usage. Having some idea of how much electricity he’ll use would help a lot.

An apartment is unlikely to go over 1000kwh unless he runs the a/c low all day. I’ve seen cheap plans in the past that are a flat $30 for all use up to 999 kWh but if you go over, they add $100 plus charge a few cents per kWh. That can expensive quick if he’s not careful.

Edited by Chilly Water

Providers have structured their rates to appear to be the most best deal on powertochoose.com, ie you pay a flat rate for any usage between 501 and 1000 kWh which shows a really low price per kWh on power to choose but is a crappy plan if your average usage is 700 kWh. 

If he can get the average usage from the apartment complex he can plug those numbers into powertochoose to see what rate is the best deal based on his assumed usage. 

Be wary of of the search results on PowerToChoose. Even the PUC concedes they're misleading: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Texas-regulators-clamping-down-on-misleading-13034482.php

TexasPowerGuide has a more powerful tool to search those same plans and avoid the gimmicks. (Disclosure: I maintain it so Texans don't fall victim to PowerToChoose.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xoringe said:

Be wary of of the search results on PowerToChoose. Even the PUC concedes they're misleading: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Texas-regulators-clamping-down-on-misleading-13034482.php

TexasPowerGuide has a more powerful tool to search those same plans and avoid the gimmicks. (Disclosure: I maintain it so Texans don't fall victim to PowerToChoose.)

Thank you.  Definitely less confusing than PowerToChoose...

14 hours ago, xoringe said:

You did a great job here.  For the hell of it, I plugged my KWH numbers in Austin but using my parent's zip code in Dallas.  I would have saved $1200 last year over Austin energy using your recommended provider.

TL/DR:  Fuck AustinEnergy

Edited by Gardner Barnes

On 6/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, Chilly Water said:

Avoid variable rate plans and read the Electricity Facts label. Some plans have minimum usage requirements, some have different pricing tiers based on usage. Having some idea of how much electricity he’ll use would help a lot.

An apartment is unlikely to go over 1000kwh unless he runs the a/c low all day. I’ve seen cheap plans in the past that are a flat $30 for all use up to 999 kWh but if you go over, they add $100 plus charge a few cents per kWh. That can expensive quick if he’s not careful.

I use one of these plans. It is pretty awesome. There are only 2 months in the year I typically go over 100kWh, July and August. That shoots the bill up to about $140 but throughout the rest of the year I'm paying $30 and it still comes out way less than just about every other type of plan I could find.

As long as you are prepared for the big price bump those two months it is no issue. I was on a month to month plan previously and my monthly bills were around $110-$150 already before I switched.

Another Chronicle article how only 1 in 6 Houstonians bother to switch electrical providers each year even though the real savings are in switching:  https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/It-pays-to-switch-power-plans-but-few-Houstonians-13047949.php?utm_source=chron&utm_medium=linkmodule&utm_campaign=btfpm

Dallas is only 1 in 8 have recently switched.

Deregulation has been great for those that care to learn and search.  The other 80% pay too much.   For the average Texan, deregulation has not led to any savings.  

• 6 months later...
On 7/1/2018 at 6:38 PM, xoringe said:

Awesome. Just tried it out, signed up and paid the $10. I usually read through lots of EFLs to find a good plan. Hopefully your data works.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Awesome. Just tried it out, signed up and paid the $10. I usually read through lots of EFLs to find a good plan. Hopefully your data works.

I was just coming to ask about this and saw this thread bumped.  couldnt remember the name of the site.  ill get on TPG and give it a whirl.