Liverpool FC 2023-24: Return of the Mac Allister

Firemans4Horn

The less said about last year the better. 

Looks like Mac Allister is coming in today; very important signing.

Still probably need 2 more in midfield. Also need a  left footed player that can play both CB/LB and I think we need another forward. 5 forwards isn’t enough to get us through all 4 competitions even if we rotate in the Kookaburra Cup and the early part of Europa. 

• Like 1

Thuram and Kone were spotted in downtown Liverpool yesterday so I guess they've met with the club. Mac Allister, Thuram, and Kone for less than the fee to get Dortmund to release Jude would be some incredible business. Schmadtke might be a nice upgrade if he can pull the trio in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fantastic player, but do we need another attacking option? Seems like defensive mids would be more of a need.

We have a gaping hole at the RCM unless you want Henderson starting 30 games there again next season. Trent-Szoboszlai-Mo would be an amazing triangle on the right. 

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We have a gaping hole at the RCM unless you want Henderson starting 30 games there again next season. Trent-Szoboszlai-Mo would be an amazing triangle on the right. 

I'm assuming that we move Trent into the midfield this year. I'm also assuming that Hendo is the new Milner and only plays against bottom table teams. 

I just don't want Fabinho to be our first choice defensive mid for another campaign. 

I feel like we're getting Curtis Jones and Stefan in the midfield next season. The lack of news is pretty typical of FSG. We got one signing and that might be all since FSG is so f'ing cheap. And we'll never catch City and now have Newcastle and Arsenal as threats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I feel like we're getting Curtis Jones and Stefan in the midfield next season. The lack of news is pretty typical of FSG. We got one signing and that might be all since FSG is so f'ing cheap. And we'll never catch City and now have Newcastle and Arsenal as threats. 

Mac Allister is taking over the LCM mid starting role (Curtis/Thiago). Bajcetic is 18 and coming off a significant injury; he’ll be a good squad option next year. We’re going to buy more midfield depth. Ideally a right sided number 8. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a good relationship w/ Leipzig and Szoboszlai is the absolute perfect signing for our current squad. Can play at basically any position in our front five, with some real Stevie G vibes, and that release clause is far from outrageous in this market. I'm actually bullish on this one happening.

A #8 with end product is a must-have this summer, so I hope we get either him or Veiga, then Thuram/Kone/Lavia as our #6, a CB, and it'll be a fantastic transfer window.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Losing Milner, Hendo, Fabinho, plus the 180 minutes we'd get from Keita + Ox (and Arthur!), with Carvalho out on loan...that's a lot to replace. We'd better get Lavia done quick and then activate Ibrahim Sangare's release clause.

Jfc what a transfer window.

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Losing Milner, Hendo, Fabinho, plus the 180 minutes we'd get from Keita + Ox (and Arthur!), with Carvalho out on loan...that's a lot to replace. We'd better get Lavia done quick and then activate Ibrahim Sangare's release clause.

Jfc what a transfer window.

Hendo was already replaced by Dom. The rest of the minutes besides Fabinho won’t be hard to replace by the current squad (Curtis, MacAllister, Bajcetic). We definitely need a 6 if we sell Fabs. 

I'm excited about the turnover (besides the fucking Saudi involvement). That list above is a bunch of old, shitty minutes that needed replacing. Let’s rip the band aid off. 

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I agree, but it's already mid July and we've had little time to get our midfield sorted (and used to each other)

Our starting midfield as of yesterday was Mac-Fab-TAA-Sboz. Finding one player to go in isn’t that hard to do.

Fabinho had a terrible season last year so not the worst thing to happen if it happens. 

Fabinho was good the last 10 games, once we started playing Trent in the hybrid role. I guess £40M for him is decent business but that's a helluva lot of turnover, especially considering how long Klopp tends to bed new players in. Finding a replacement to just slot into our #6 role is not going to be a piece of cake.

Caicedo would go a long way toward easing my fears, especially since he and Mac Allister have played together. Still want to see us sign Lavia but I'm skeptical he can be a starter from day 1.

• Hook 'Em 1