2023 MLB Draft thread 6pm on ESPN

Beau Vine

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

He threw 100+ from short stop and the of during the prospect combine. Hits 97 on the mound. If he can bat, move him out from behind the plate 

This is my hope. The angst about the pick is more about the GM and draft director being holdovers from the Dayton Moore regime. The drafting they did at DMs direction was nothing less than horrible. The total WAR from first round picks since 2015 is 5.7 and Brady Singer accounts for 5.9 of that. Lot of negative WAR from the Hunter Doziers of those drafts. The kid seems like a solid player, maybe taken a few slots too early, but athletic enough to move to a more needed position. I'm hopeful he will be a solid ML player.

Rounds 11-20 about to start.  I like the tracker for UT.  But the high school one is a beating.  Anybody know a shortcut where I can see which commits of ours got picked and which are still on the board today?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sawchick:

This year's draft wasn't only dominated by college stars at the top; it was dominated by college stars throughout the top 10 rounds.

From 1992-2001, there was nearly an even split between college (53.4%) and high school players in the first 10 rounds.

But in the decade after the "Moneyball" draft, the college share of picks in the first 10 rounds rose to 66.7%.

And from 2012-21, as the bonus-pool era came along, the college rate jumped to 73.9% in those rounds.

The first 10 rounds this year? A whopping 80.6% of selections were college players.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Oh goody, you're going to latch onto another prospect.  Whatever happened to Jasson Dominguez??

You know how Texas was basically always getting recruits everyone wanted, then they got here and they kind of sucked? I’ve accepted that’s Yankee player development. Clark is different. Kid came straight out of high school and is already dominating rookie ball.

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I had thought he played 13 games but that was plate appearances. Doesn’t change the fact that I think he’s legit

Well, no shit he's legit, he was a top 5 talent in the draft.  Here's the guy I criticized the Tigers for passing on:

image.png.45d32c40b61e6303542a8f184b676e93.png

And here's the other guy (also high schooler) I would have picked ahead of Clark:

image.png.ede2b4001299c24dfc9883c4eb3a2702.png