2023 MLB Draft thread 6pm on ESPN

Beau Vine

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Yeah. It’s like 99.9% you sign if drafted in top 10 rounds. Deal already made. Only doesn’t happen if some injury stuff pops up. 

Another situation is a player that has a guarantee from a team for a certain number but doesn't make it to them. Iirc that happened with a Florida OF in the second round a couple years ago and he went back to school instead.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Hey, when you have a chance to draft a high school kid from <checks notes> INDIANA, you, uh... I got nothin.

WTF did Harold just say?

Not just indiana, small town indiana. Star football player too. Goes he loves the hometown legend story. 

But really, it’s not the 80s anymore. These kids have spent several summers playing top competition from all over the country in select tourneys, and international tourneys as well.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is Sykora looking likely to hit campus?

2nd best prospect available. I think he gets passed over until later. He should go pro, mlb farm system will do him better than pitching in college and two years closer to mlb debut 

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 11.17.37.png

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

2nd best prospect available. I think he gets passed over until later. He should go pro, mlb farm system will do him better than pitching in college and two years closer to mlb debut 

I'm in the dark on the money aspect -- what does an NIL deal look like for a top HS player at a school like Texas?  Obviously the MLB signing bonus would come into play, too.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm in the dark on the money aspect -- what does an NIL deal look like for a top HS player at a school like Texas?  Obviously the MLB signing bonus would come into play, too.

no idea, but it seems like Texas doesn’t have the big nil money like lsu. Go pro now and you’re two years closer to mlb debut, two years closer to the big fa contract 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

astros drafted a vandy recruit last year in the 11th and money whipped him. 5star hs of out of NC 

if a team likes Sykora, the same could easily happen. I’d be curious to see his spin rates 

Of course you never know what deals teams have worked out, but only 4 teams took players in the 1st round who appeared to be overdrafts that would sign for well under slot to enable their team to take an overslot player later: Cleveland, Dodgers, Astros, and Angels.   Look for those teams to take one of the remaining top HS guys sometime in rounds 3-11.  We shouldn’t start thinking Sykora will come to Texas until he is still not drafted when round 11 is complete.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This guy doesn't know shit.  And neither do the Tigers.  What a stupid pick.

The Tigers might be playing games with the slot pool by signing Clark for considerably under slot, giving them firepower to do something later in the draft. 

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Of course you never know what deals teams have worked out, but only 4 teams took players in the 1st round who appeared to be overdrafts that would sign for well under slot to enable their team to take an overslot player later: Cleveland, Dodgers, Astros, and Angels.   Look for those teams to take one of the remaining top HS guys sometime in rounds 3-11.  We shouldn’t start thinking Sykora will come to Texas until he is still not drafted when round 11 is complete.

Oakland A's might have a big pool to play with today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

There will be robo umps by the time he’s in the show. Doesn’t matter if he can frame.

He threw 100+ from short stop and the of during the prospect combine. Hits 97 on the mound. If he can bat, move him out from behind the plate 

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m amazed more teams don’t under sign players

im already seeing that crews wants over his slotted amount lulz 

They do it a lot in rounds 6-10. Texas signed multiple top 10 picks to $1k deals last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

no idea, but it seems like Texas doesn’t have the big nil money like lsu. Go pro now and you’re two years closer to mlb debut, two years closer to the big fa contract 

This is not true.  Going pro now does not necessarily put you two years closer to your MLB debut.  It could also cost him money in the long run.  College players are getting to the ML much faster than high school guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

This is not true.  Going pro now does not necessarily put you two years closer to your MLB debut.  It could also cost him money in the long run.  College players are getting to the ML much faster than high school guys.

ut doesn’t even have a pitching coach, huge red flag if I had pro aspirations 

3 minutes ago, txhorns said:

it can cost you money in the short term for sure, but not in the long run imo. You have to take a hard look at the mlb team’s track record for developing arms. IMO that’s the determining factor  

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Are you going to pretend to be a Guardians’ fan again? 

I follow both Cleveland (where I grew up) and Houston (where I have lived for the past 25 years). And there isn't a law that says you can't root for more than 1 team, but if there was you would be serving a dozen consecutive life sentences. Nobody besides MBU follows the Guardians around here, so there's not much to talk about with them being a .500 team and probably not making any big trades. I can start posting Cleveland highlights if you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Sooooo no mention of Sykora going at 71 and DC going at 136? Came for discussion, instead it’s an argument about where 3 Putts Pom poms are aimed. Cool. 

Campbell is gone. He had a small draft party today in Houston