Return to Office/Work from Home Jobs

iodeac

Hi everyone, you all are always a good source of info so I figured I would post this thread.  I work for a bank in Charlotte and as of now they're asking us to be in the office 3 times a week.  I have a few other friends who work for different banks and they are pretty much on the same schedule.   I love the work I do and my boss is a good guy, plus I like my coworkers but my commute is about an hour each way and it's really grinding me down, so I planned to take a look at what companies are embracing a more flexible schedule (imo 2 days a week at home really isn't enough). 

Was curious if you all had any suggestions or ideas of companies or websites you know of to look for remote jobs.  It's basically the main driving factor in me thinking about leaving, but the commute is awful and wasting 2 hours of my day three times a week, plus the expensive parking, is going to drive me to something else.

Would also love to hear of any RTO experiences with your employers.  The labor market around here has really tightened up so I'm not seeing as many people leave as I did last year, so I think companies have a bit more leverage.  I have a friend at Goldman and I think they're going to start making them come back in 5 times a week.

Thanks!

Was your commute an hour each way before? Whats changed?
We actually moved houses last fall which made the commute much worse, and we hadn't yet received the guidance about how often we were expected to be in the office. Mileage wise it's not much further but the traffic patterns are really bad and there are lots of bottlenecks
We actually moved houses last fall which made the commute much worse, and we hadn't yet received the guidance about how often we were expected to be in the office. Mileage wise it's not much further but the traffic patterns are really bad and there are lots of bottlenecks

BlackRock is also back to X days/week. The remote days will keep winding down, so if you jump ship to find a "more remote" job, make sure you don't burn any bridges, as sooner or later your other job will require office work also.
Right, I can definitely see corporations start to walk this back over the next few years or so.
BlackRock is also back to X days/week. The remote days will keep winding down, so if you jump ship to find a "more remote" job, make sure you don't burn any bridges, as sooner or later your other job will require office work also.
Right, I can definitely see corporations start to walk this back over the next few years or so.

Commutes suck, so I empathize there. But is six hours a week of commute that bad? 

It's the equivalent of a 35-minute ride each way if you went five days a week. Not great, but not the worst. 

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Commutes suck, so I empathize there. But is six hours a week of commute that bad? 

It's the equivalent of a 35-minute ride each way if you went five days a week. Not great, but not the worst. 

But when comparing to the base-line of zero commute and wearing gymshorts everday, it's hard to beat.

Where WFH used to be the secret honey hole of certain front of the house roles (because of the immense amount of travel), Covid-19 put the taste of WFH in the mouth of everyone. Once the vampires have and enjoy the taste of blood they can't go back, to use a bad analogy. Toothpaste is out of the tube and nobody wants to go back to a life and world where they have to get up, get dressed nicely, get in a vehicle and fight traffic, deal with parking and then deal with people and do it all again on the way back home.

• Like 1

My take on this also is that companies get incentives or kickbacks to promise a certain number of people in seats to patronize businesses. Also the people most pushing RTO aren't the ones stuck in cubre farms or windowless offices. I also think middle managers like it because having people right in front of them helps to justify their existence, and the ones that don't trust their direct reports probably love it even more