Texas Bye Week 2023

immamac

It's time for Sark to ramp up scoring.  At some point Texas will need to score over 40pts in one of these last six games to win.

Getting large leads against both "cougar high" and "the soakers" really needs to happen so our backup QBs and OL see 4th quarter action.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

It's time for Sark to ramp up scoring.  At some point Texas will need to score over 40pts in one of these last six games to win.

Getting large leads against both "cougar high" and "the soakers" really needs to happen so our backup QBs and OL see 4th quarter action.

Right now the starting IOL needs all the time they can get.. 

Good point, but it's probably silly to count on Catalon to play 75+% of snaps down the stretch. We are going to need a 3rd guy to provide some quality snaps. That's probably Jerrin Thompson at this point despite his physical limitations. 
Allen might as well already be in the portal. Same with LTG. Probably more of an offseason conversation but I wonder if they look at moving Austin Jordan, Guilbeau or Roberson to safety.

Catalon has given up the most in the pass game thus far. He’s helped in the run game, but he’s also missed quite a few tackles. I get it fans like dudes that fly into the play. he’s played half the coverage snaps that Thompson has. He’s also played about 30-40% fewer/less snaps than Williams in coverage. As you said, he’s not likely to play full games and certainly not half a season worth.

Williams hasn’t really proven much of anything. He made some solid plays versus OU and has a very bright future. He was beaten by Stogner on a key 3rd down out route. I’m not sure what he was doing on the big Stoops play. He helped make a play on the goalline. He also stood in the end zone on another while the runner walked in.

Williams will most likely have played the 2nd most snaps of any safety after our next game.

Odd that people wish to write off who has been our best safety the past two years. Highest graded, most tackles, most PBUs and most picks (probably most dropped too).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Catalon has given up the most in the pass game thus far. He’s helped in the run game, but he’s also missed quite a few tackles. I get it fans like dudes that fly into the play. he’s played half the coverage snaps that Thompson has. He’s also played about 30-40% fewer/less snaps than Williams in coverage. As you said, he’s not likely to play full games and certainly not half a season worth.

Williams hasn’t really proven much of anything. He made some solid plays versus OU and has a very bright future. He was beaten by Stogner on a key 3rd down out route. I’m not sure what he was doing on the big Stoops play. He helped make a play on the goalline. He also stood in the end zone on another while the runner walked in.

Williams will most likely have played the 2nd most snaps of any safety after our next game.

Odd that people wish to write off who has been our best safety the past two years. Highest graded, most tackles, most PBUs and most picks (probably most dropped too).

Probably because he has never been a high level player. He is physically limited.  He had some bad run fills vs OU (1st down after the 4 down disaster comes to mind). PFF has him at 45 in Run defense and 29 at tackling. He sets the floor. I would say coach on the field, but that didn’t play out vs OU. Safety is an issue. Not sure it can be fixed this year, but people are going to hope someone like Williams can come and raise the level of play 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I'm still not sure how that failed so miserably, being so close and with huge bodies leading the way.  Other than on a second viewing it appeared as though Brooks wasn't following closely enough behind the blockers and that allowed defenders to wrap around behind the blockers to make the tackle behind the line.

My immediate perception of that series, at least the first down, was that at least one of Murphy/Sweatt blocked it like a DT, penetrating the DL, but not blocking and holding people up like an OL.

Re-viewings didn't confirm that quite as solidly as I initially thought, but I'm going with my instinct/intuition.

Probably because he has never been a high level player. He is physically limited.  He had some bad run fills vs OU (1st down after the 4 down disaster comes to mind). PFF has him at 45 in Run defense and 29 at tackling. He sets the floor. I would say coach on the field, but that didn’t play out vs OU. Safety is an issue. Not sure it can be fixed this year, but people are going to hope someone like Williams can come and raise the level of play 

What the hell is a high level player? One that makes quite a few plays? If we’re talking all American, I’d like one of those. And the tenor is not that we’re looking for a high level player it’s that Thompson needs to be replaced.

Safety wasn’t any more of an issue in our only loss this year than any other position. Probably less so actually. The biggest failures of safety play were Catalon and possibly Williams. I’d like to hear/see evidence of them being better.

But I get it. Any play you see that the safeties don’t make that means it’s a problem. Never mind, The only sack we had versus OU was a 1 yard loss after missing an opportunity for impactful sack on the same play. Gabriel escaped up the middle on his longest run and most crucial pass. The corners missed multiple tackles that were crucial/impactful.

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

He needs to be taught how to form tackle. I'll cheer a successful flying missle tackle as much as the next fan, but I know that for every successful one, missed tackles or ineffective bumps will also occur. It's a pet peeve of mine and clearly (Sark loves that word) the coaches aren't emphasizing it enough because lots of Texas defenders go for the boom instead of wrapping up.

He needs to be taught how to form tackle. I'll cheer a successful flying missle tackle as much as the next fan, but I know that for every successful one, missed tackles or ineffective bumps will also occur. It's a pet peeve of mine and clearly (Sark loves that word) the coaches aren't emphasizing it enough because lots of Texas defenders go for the boom instead of wrapping up.

Catalon flies upfield so fast you do have to wonder if they just let it go and accept his aggression over a few misses. He may be physical enough to play around the LOS. Course he may blow out shoulder doing so.

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

What the hell is a high level player? One that makes quite a few plays? If we’re talking all American, I’d like one of those. And the tenor is not that we’re looking for a high level player it’s that Thompson needs to be replaced.

Safety wasn’t any more of an issue in our only loss this year than any other position. Probably less so actually. The biggest failures of safety play were Catalon and possibly Williams. I’d like to hear/see evidence of them being better.

But I get it. Any play you see that the safeties don’t make that means it’s a problem. Never mind, The only sack we had versus OU was a 1 yard loss after missing an opportunity for impactful sack on the same play. Gabriel escaped up the middle on his longest run and most crucial pass. The corners missed multiple tackles that were crucial/impactful.

I am not talking about a singular game. A high level player does make quite a few plays. Thompson doesnt make quite a few plays. He has 3 interceptions in 41 games (24 starts). He is not great in the run game, due to poor fits, bad, angles, and poor tackling. His athleticism is a limiting factor in the passing game. Catalon does fly up the field. He still tackles better than Thompson. His ability to get involved at the LOS is huge in the run game. 

Edited by Codaxx