USC @ Oregon

bolverk

Just now, wood said:

I don't understand going for 2 there.

You have to go for 2 at some point. If your 2 point play fails after your theoretical next TD, you still lose. Going for 2 on the first TD let's you know whether you need a TD or a TD and a FG and can theoretically try to play for 2 possessions 

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

You have to go for 2 at some point. If your 2 point play fails after your theoretical next TD, you still lose. Going for 2 on the first TD let's you know whether you need a TD or a TD and a FG and can theoretically try to play for 2 possessions 

I would contend that your conversion rate would be higher for the 2 pt conversion on the second TD due to the momentum you possess and the dejection that the opposing defense would be feeling. Analytics would say the conversion rate is the same for either TD. I think you should always go for it last. 

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Yeah but in this scenario they don't have time to play for 2 possessions.  They needed to put themselves into position to potentially tie on their next possession, if they even get that. By going for 2 and failing, they left themselves no realistic chance at all. They effectively ended their game right there.  Had they made the extra point, at least they're still in with a longshot chance.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I would contend that your conversion rate would be higher for the 2 pt conversion on the second TD due to the momentum you possess and the dejection that the opposing defense would be feeling. Analytics would say the conversion rate is the same for either TD. I think you should always go for it last. 

Momentum is fake. You got for 2 first so if you fail you know you have to onside it.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah but in this scenario they don't have time to play for 2 possessions.  They needed to put themselves into position to potentially tie on their next possession, if they even get that. By going for 2 and failing, they left themselves no realistic chance at all. Had they made the extra point, at least they're still in with a longshot chance.

They had no realistic chance with that ace 2 point play in the bag

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

USC had no realistic chance of winning so why not go for it? They were no going to win anyway why not try? At any rate it doesn’t matter. 

You gotta be in it to win it. They effectively ended it right there with 2 or 3 minutes left, or whatever it was. They just forfeited any chance they had left.  I'm not saying they had any kind of good chance of tying it. They didn't, but we've all seen crazy shit happen when teams are just trying to run out the clock. Had that shit happened after they failed on that 2 pter, they still would have needed 2 scores. I.E. they still wouldn't have tied it up.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

You gotta be in it to win it. They effectively ended it right there with 2 or 3 minutes left, or whatever it was. They just forfeited any chance they had left.  I'm not saying they had any kind of good chance of tying it. They didn't, but we've all seen crazy shit happen when teams are just trying to run out the clock. Had that shit happened after they failed on that 2 pter, they still would have needed 2 scores. I.E. they still wouldn't have tied it up.

They get beat anyway. They have imo a fraud for a HC and a headcase for a QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1