The Caine Mutiny Court - Martial

Augustus

I'd never so much as heard of this film until today.  Written and directed by William Friedkin, one of the heavyweights over the last 50 years.  Insanely high reviews on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and fans.  Has anybody watched this?  The original was great but this one appears to take place entirely in the courtroom.

I liked it and it is well acted, but it is light years from the Bogart, Ferrer, and MacMurray film. And IIRC they left out my favorite line when Ferrer, after throwing his drink in Keefer’s face, offers to wait in the lobby if Keefer wants to fight him.  If the line was in the film it wasn’t nearly as memorable as when Ferrer delivered it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

There was a scene in the sitcom Night Court when Dan Fielding is sitting in a chair being questioned about something, and he gets a little nervous, then pulls out a couple of ball bearings from his pocket and starts rotating them in his hand.  Got a big laugh from the crowd, but I had no idea what that was about.  Some years later I saw the Caine Mutiny and finally got it.

• Haha 1