Gardening 2024: Zukes, Cukes, and Nuke The Flukes

Mrs Whiggins

Where are all the weeds/volunteers from last year's seeds?  Lol.  I have parsley and cilantro sprouting up everywhere, but I guess I don't mind.

I have some blackberries in a dedicated bed.  The first 2 years they flowered like crazy, and I got some good berries, but then the berries seemed to all dry up, almost overnight.  This is year 3 now.  The plants look healthy and are putting on lots of buds now.  This bed isn't on an irrigation system, so I need to add something, or plan on watering by hand more often this year.  Other than that, I don't know what I'm doing with them.  I used regular garden soil from the bulk material people down the road.

I will say that the blackberry vines spread out pretty good, so give them room and something to lean on.  And check this out: they will put down roots just about anywhere they touch the ground.  So you can propagate it pretty easily by sticking the end of a vine on top of a pot of dirt for a few weeks or so, then cut the branch and you have a new plant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Parsley and cilantro? That's some great chimichurri right there; just made some from the garden this weekend to go with the steak spouse grilled. Yum.

I'd love to grow blackberries but right now am keeping things a little ....less. Got a lot going on so sticking with the basics. Our beans have come on and the first crop will be harvested soon. We've had lots and lots of salad from the lettuce which is still going as long as the temps hold. Cukes and tomatoes have blossoms. Beets and carrots doing well. I haven't got the basil in yet though.

I’m on my second year of blackberries and they’re crushing it.  I planted 4 last year and another 6 this spring.  Also have a couple different blueberry varieties, one of which is producing in its second year. Also plenty of tomatoes, squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, and need to get some okra in.   

IMG_0268.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my habaneros (I’ll probably only pot one but they came in threes) a couple days ago and decided to also get a ghost pepper. That will be a first. I called back to the garden center for some additional info and learned they have scorpion peppers too. I just didn’t walk far enough down the aisle to find them. I’ll go back this weekend or so to get one of those. Very excited about that.

They said they’ll be getting Carolina Reapers in. I’m not sure I want to bother with those on top of the other peppers. Maybe that’s too much to manage and my dehydrator is probably going to be working overtime as it is. But maybe I should get one anyway since the opportunity is there. I wouldn’t necessarily have to transplant it and put it outdoors. I could just maintain it and maybe flower it indoors under lights next winter. 

My blackberries are coming along nicely, hopefully the birds and animals don’t get to them before they ripen.  Should have some zucchini and yellow squash this week as it warms up and my okra and edamame have sprouted.  And my blueberry crop is going to be tiny, but it’s better than nothing.  

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1