2024 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Pancho

A job opening.

Lol
Iowa State knows how to hire basketball coaches. I feel like they never get it wrong. Haven’t had a bad coach since Nance. 

Greg McDemott was terrible here but he’s been good every where else
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m really hoping ISU will be able to beat back all of the suitors who are sure to come for Otzelberger. The Big 12 needs to be more than a green room for B1G and Sec schools looking to improve their fortunes.

Otz was an assistant at ISU for 3 (!) other head coaches. His wife is an Australian immigrant who considers Ames her adopted hometown.

He’s not leaving unless she leaves him.

TJ, please don’t get a divorce.

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Otz was an assistant at ISU for 3 (!) other head coaches. His wife is an Australian immigrant who considers Ames her adopted hometown.

I hope ISU is not banking on that. People can adapt and grow where’re they’re planted. Throw all the money at him you possibly can.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

I hope ISU is not banking on that. People can adapt and grow where’re they’re planted. Throw all the money at him you possibly can.

We will.  We better.  He’s not goIng to leave just become someone can write a bigger check, but if he felt we were trying to leverage his ties and lowball him, that might piss him off.

Nice article in the Sunday DMN about the B12 being the best and getting better. Some excerpts:

https://www.dallasnews.com/...

“ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla doesn’t buy into any of the arguments against the Big 12 not having been the best league in the country for the last decade. Kansas and Baylor won titles and Texas Tech played in overtime of a championship game just in the last five years. Fraschilla expanded on that theme.”

They’ve been ranked No. 1 conference nine of the last 11 years and were No. 2 when they weren’t. And they’ve had five different teams go to the Elite Eight in the last five years,’’ he said.

That’s five teams in four tournaments since the 2020 affair was canceled at the outset of the pandemic. Texas and Kansas State traveled to the Elite Eight last year and, naturally, Baylor, Kansas and Tech made it on those championship game trips. Won’t surprise anyone if two new names — Houston and Iowa State — make it this year, and guess what?

It’s a shame that basketball suffers in comparison to football because of the massive amount of conference-based revenues football generates (not saying the hoopsters don’t get a nice check from CBS). Instead of folks clutching their pearls over the loss of Texas and Oklahoma from the football landscape, there would be a much louder discussion about who’s coming to the Big 12 to play roundball.

Start with Arizona, the last regular season champion of the Pac-12 and a likely No. 2 seed tomorrow. Then there’s Colorado, which played Oregon for the Pac-12 tournament title Saturday night in Las Vegas. Utah and Arizona State have been known to put together some decent basketball teams, and I would suspect this is the last year that Kansas departs the Big 12 tournament so quickly and quietly.

The Big 12 is likely to place nine teams in the March Madness field Sunday night, and who’s to say the league won’t make double figures in 2025

Big 12 will likely get in 9 including both Texas and OU.  SEC will likely get in 8... 

Flip UT and OU over to the SEC and now they have 10 in the tourney and the Big 12 has 7.  

Yes, the Big 12 is the best basketball conference, but the SEC isn't exactly terrible.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:09 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Would you say he’s like the Mayor of Ames? No way he would leave. Tongue in cheek obviously. He’ll get paid and be good long term there. I just hate everyone right now that has had any success over the last 20 fucking years. Fuck all y’all.

Would you say he’s like the Mayor of Ames? No way he would leave. Tongue in cheek obviously. He’ll get paid and be good long term there. I just hate everyone right now that has had any success over the last 20 fucking years. Fuck all y’all.

Anyone can leave at anytime. I do really think TJ wants to make ISU a powerhouse. It hasn’t exactly gone great for the other guys who left due to success.

Weirdly, the most successful post-ISU career has been McDermott who was staring down a complete fan revolt when he pulled the rip cord to Creighton which has been a remarkable success for all parties involved.