Jonathan Gold, first food critic to win Pulitzer, dies

Carl Spackler

If you lived in SoCal at any point in the past 30+ years, you probably read one of his columns.  The only restaurant critic to win a Pulitzer prize, he had a writing style all his own and a penchant for celebrating the divey places, taco trucks, and stripmall finds instead of fancy restaurants.  L.A. isn't going to be the same, and neither will the food world.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-fo-jonathan-gold-obit-20180721-story.html

Not familiar with Jonathan Gold. 

Did find a nice write-up in The New Yorker and a review of City Of Gold documentary in The Atlantic. And a hot dog article. The Fluky's which Gold refers to is the dog joint credited with inventing the Chi dog. Nowadays it is just a shadow of its former self. They do not even make an authentic Chi dog nowadays. Not worth seeking out. For someone who was so influenced by his father's love of hot dogs, I'm surprised I'm not finding a Gold column on Japadog. 

I thought I was an adventurous eater but there is no way I could keep pace with him. Seems like a nice guy.