Sue, did the president call?

Did a full re-watch last year and thought it was even better the second time and binged instead of season to season. 

“If only the American people could've known you for your sense of humor, instead of your bizarre indifference to Apartheid.“

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'd say in terms of "jokes:minute" ratio, VEEP & 30Rock are in a league of their own.  I can't remember how/what her exact quote was, but a friend of my wife's who worked in the Bush White House and went on to write for National Review wrote, after VEEP was on for like 2 seasons at that point, "People think the Executive Branch is like 'House of Cards', but it's actually more like 'Veep'."  And HBO and Netflix and papers took some iteration of that and ran with it for awhile.  Then 2016 happens and truth literally becomes stranger than fiction.  

But csb/ I need to find our clips but it was about 2015 before our oldest was born.  Tony Hale (Gary on Veep) came to the Paramount or State theater in Austin for a screening and talk (he did both Veep and Arrested Development when they had rebooted that series).  And somebody we got to meet him during peak 'Veep', and he was super nice and unintentionally hilarious.  And it was a relatively small audience despite the capacity of the space, I don't remember the details.  But he showed these outtakes that never aired of some scenes of "Gary and Selena" in the bathroom (can't remember if it was before or after that episode aired proper on HBO).  But I tried to discretely captured the clips on the screen.  I think I have them on an past hard drive.  But the outtakes of them cracking each other up was the funniest shit I've ever seen in my life.  And then he describes what becomes common knowledge later on, about how the writer's would have this running list of shit that could only be said by or about Jonah.  And he prefaces the eventual reveal of the Uncle of Jonah who will go to be probably the best insulter of the whole show.  Anyway, this almost a decade ago.  

But with no disrespect to many great comedies I've loved over the years, Curb and Veep stand alone in that they were largely improvised.  Getting to hear a little of the secret sauce was a true delight.  I mean "You Sentient Enema."  You could give all of us twisted fucks on this board 1000 years and we'd never come up with that.  

Alright, I'm gonna be doing a rewatch until about 3am so somebody cancel my Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1