The Romanoffs (Matthew Weiner Amazon Series)

usmc0331horn

I thought at first this was a historical series about the Russian family but it's an anthology set in the present day following different descendants in various cities. Premieres October 2nd. The cast looks terrific.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/amazon-reveals-first-look-photos-episode-lineup-fo.html

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the first two episodes, but I see why the reviews are mixed.   The episodes are like standalone movies and, so far, seem pretty independent of one another.  I won't spoil anything, but there is a weird unevenness between the storylines and the endings. 

Seriously, this show is so fucking weird, and not in a good way.   Every episode is like half incomplete character study and half M. Knight Shyamalan movie.    I don't hate it, but the "shocking twist" in every episode is really out of place.   I don't care about any of the characters aside from the hotness factor of some of the actresses.   I don't think it's that I'm just not getting it; seems to me like a big miss from the Mad Men guy.