TWIA to raise rates +10% +4% inflation

Zavala

So my church sent this out, I think it's important to anyone dealing with paying higher rates for living on the coast. The money is all funneled away form the coast for hailstorms, so people on the coast are getting screwed. Now they plan on raising rates, for no apparent reason other than the insurance companies have control over the board.

http://www.unitedcorpuschristichamber.com/windstorm-insurance-reform

Sign the petition if you are against it. If you have any information on the happenings in Austin on this let me know please.

Sept24_RallyFlyer-w700.png

The 14 of 254 counties in Texas are on the coast, so the representation in state legislature is minimal. Meanwhile, 30% of Texas GDP is made on the coastal counties. Working class people live here and work these refineries and ports. They aren't million dollar vacation homes that can afford the high insurance costs, they are regular working-class people being priced out of living near their work. 

The rate hike is going to cause a chain reaction, since all the school districts are funded with property taxes, and will face a large increase in their insurance costs.

Edited by Zavala

If the twia policies were underwritten to reflect the actual risk, your premium would be double or triple, if not more, of what it currently is.  That’s actually not true.  If it was underwritten to reflect the actual risk, no insurance company would write the business.  Non-coastal premiums are going up as well.

• Like 1

College roommates family said they had 6 gov policies to cover their “estate” on the water and that no private company would insure them. Said it was worth it because it was cheaper than a cost of remodeling every 5-10 years. You would think after the second flood they just wouldn’t insure it or the tennis court and private wild animal preserve (fucker had a zebra)

On 9/22/2018 at 9:22 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We realized, a few years ago, that we could rent for month on what our yearly wind and flood insurance plus property taxes were on our beach house and sold it. 

Sucks for those inland in those counties that are now paying like they are within a mile of the coast. 

I rent mine out for 3 months a year during peak season to an older couple just to cover insurance and taxes. They use it when we can’t be on island anyways because of the kids school schedule. I just stroked all 3 insurance checks plus the property tax check this week and it hurt my feelings as usual.