Looking at Texas Defense 2018 - OSU

taybo20

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

On the winning TD Sterns has to know he has outside contain on the QB right?

You would think. I get wanting our guys to play fast, but they have to be smarter than they are now. Otherwise, their reckless abandon hurts us.

It's frustrating not having better options than Wheeler & Locke on Defense.  Late last Season, Orlando moved both Wheeler & Locke to the bench and had Malik & GJohnson at LBs, and Antwuan Davis at NB.

Orlando just got abused by Gundy and OSU's offensive staff.  Time for Coach Orlando to simplify his Defensive set-ups & calls so fewer mental mistakes occur and players can fly around in Defense.

Edited by LTtxfan

17 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Unfortunately that is the scheme.  The front is supposed to plug and the LBs are supposed to make the plays. 

wheeler is staying home for the QB yet Hager goes for the QB. we had a DB on the TE. there is a schematic problem with that. wheeler doesn't recover for shit but my guess, and I could be wrong,  is hager was freestyling.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

wheeler is staying home for the QB yet Hager goes for the QB. we had a DB on the TE. there is a schematic problem with that. wheeler doesn't recover for shit but my guess, and I could be wrong,  is hager was freestyling.

Typical for an Eagle front would be: Wheeler is keying the QB, Hager is supposed to key RB.

The Joker should either be playing a 60 over the Tackle-over or (more likely) the entire front should have declared the RG as Center.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Typical for an Eagle front would be: Wheeler is keying the QB, Hager is supposed to key RB.

The Joker should either be playing a 60 over the Tackle-over or (more likely) the entire front should have declared the RG as Center.

We aren’t in our more traditional eagle look which is part of the issue here too. We are in our 3-2-6 dime package against unbalanced line. Like you say, we should declare the RG center. IMO, Hager doesn’t read anything...he’s just unblocked because he is in 7 technique (between T and de facto TE)and seemingly doesn’t know it. 

The scheme is to be outnumbered and have zero defenders where the play is going.  Will work out when we have god tier DL and LBs.

Actually my question is what exactly is going on when we are losing by alignment on D.  Are timeouts too valuable to ever use, or do they consider it on the job training when the defense gets gashed?