Tasmania

gecko

22 hours ago, gecko said:

So it's looking like I'm about to go "where no surly has gone before"....I'll be sure to post pics of Tasmanian talent upon my return

actually i'll be going soon, but not till late 2019 at the earliest. please keep us posted. i have a guide book (on Oz) I am reading and will comment here when/if I learn anything interesting.

question: have you explored driving around the island in general? is it easy, linked up, accessible?

staboner, I have a contact through the firm I work for who knows the island well.  I met him in London last month but managed to lose his contact info.  Info has now been found and he will be giving me numerous suggestions.  I'll post what I learn and ask your general question above when I follow up.

I've been to Tasmania. It's good. The east coast of the state has some nice hikes and beaches (not that the weather will be beach friendly). Have a look at a place called Wineglass Bay. Really impressive scenery. It's about half way between Hobart and Launceston (the other 'main' town in Tas).

And Port Arthur is an interesting place too.

• 4 months later...

I need to figure out how to do pictures.  Tasmania is an amazing place with amazing people.  Hobart has a bit of an Austin vibe to it (if Austin was a sea port).  Weather is interesting there.  We were only on the island for 3 days and I think we experienced all 4 seasons.  If you ever go, stay at the Customs House Hotel.  It's right on the harbor and an easy walk to Salamanca pier where the night life is.  

We took a boat tour around Maria Island (off SE coast).  I need to get pictures up as the place is stunning.  It was a small-ish boat carrying about 20 of us.  A front came up from the south and the Tasman Sea got really angry really fast.  Most of the boat was sick....wife and I took some kidding from the crew as being "Texas strong" and holding our own (they love Texans, BTW, every Tassie we met said Texas is on their bucket list).

If you're into history Port Arthur is the place to go.  For yucks we hung around and took the after dark ghost tour.  No ghosts but getting unrestricted access to the grounds after all the tourists had left was worth it.  The 90 min drive back to Hobart after dark was interesting.  I almost ran over a wallaby and Tassie Devil in one 15 min span.

We only scratched the surface.  We didn't make it up to Launceston or the inland area.  Its a long trip down there but I'll do it again.  I have unfinished business.

ps:  To get to Australia we did 15 hrs, 25 mins nonstop from Vancouver to Melbourne and the return was 15 hrs Sydney to Houston.  There are no words to describe what that's like.

• Like 2

Sorry I missed this when you started it, Tassie is cool, worth making the effort to see Wineglass Bay and Cradle Bay is also good, great wineries like 9th Island and Pipers Brook, seafood is good here as well, some fantastic golf here also - Barnbougle and Lost Farm. It only takes 2.5 hrs to get from Hobart to Launceston if you just drive from one to the other, east coast is more popular way though and that can soak up a few days with the stops you might make.

Glad you had a good time.

9 hours ago, gecko said:

.ps:  To get to Australia we did 15 hrs, 25 mins nonstop from Vancouver to Melbourne and the return was 15 hrs Sydney to Houston.  There are no words to describe what that's like.

When I embarked on my AUS/NZ backpacking adventure, I flew Qantas from LA to Melbourne and it was f'n great. Had an entire middle section row to myself which made sleeping no issue. American fucked up my bag transfer and it took another 24 hours to get my shit, but Qantas was great. They even gave me an emergency "dopp kit" with Qantas boxers, tshirt, and toiletries. Stewardesses were pretty hot as opposed to the 50 year old battleaxes I'm used to on most domestic flights.

Edited by Blotto

More Tazzie fun....

Hobart Airport is a like a time machine.  I haven't seen an airport this laid back since the 70s.  We check our bags with Qantas.  Counter agent never asked for ID.  Bags tagged and off they go.  Head to security line...2 people.  One person on x-ray, one to look at boarding pass as you enter security.  No one ever ask for or checked ID.

I drove from Hobart along the east coast and up to Lanceston.  Then cut down the middle back to Hobart. The middle is like being on Mars.  I did get a speeding ticket taken from a radar camera. Was sent to me a couple months later on nice stock paper with a Tasmanian tiger logo. Made a nice souvenir. Port Aurthur was pretty cool.  

Headed for Hobart Airport at 5am.  Not a soul to be seen in downtown Hobart.  We're just sitting pointlessly at a stop light with clear line of sight of no cars and no pedestrians....we carefully just run the light.  I await the ticket.....