Removing Thinset mortar

My daughter and I laid ceramic tile in our kitchen and lr a couple of weeks ago. I found a handful of tiles that are cracked because someone walked on them too soon (Wives and Stupid shit....). I pulled them up and was going to just use a chisel to get the new thin set off. But it's taking forever. Used something like this originally.

FS-GP-EDCO-Grinder10-DiamondElectric-lar

But now I just need  to clean out about 15 or so tile areas. I think 10'x10" - would a hand grinder work? Or maybe a belt sander. Something I could rent from Home Depot?

angle grinder with diamond wheel

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-4-1-2-in-Double-Row-Anti-Vibration-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-A-96198/206712372

And I question "someone walked on them too soon". Did you use a slipsheet?   If the substrate isn't cracked, then  I'm guessing that they weren't properly seated in the mortar bed. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-4-1-2-in-Double-Row-Anti-Vibration-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-A-96198/206712372

And I question "someone walked on them too soon". Did you use a slipsheet?   If the substrate isn't cracked, then  I'm guessing that they weren't properly seated in the mortar bed. 

What are you, a feminist?!?

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

You might be right. I've laid ceramic tile several times. I've always had a couple crack, but this time it was a lot more. Might be because a couple of people helping have never done it before and weren't setting properly. But it also took alot longer (more than 72 hours) for the thin set to dry. (It was 35 and raining outside, so that was probably it). The reason I think it was because people stepped on them is because it happened during the first 48 hours. After I got people to not walk and let it dry, I didn't have a single one crack. But who knows.

Since you probably know. Any recommendations on an angle grinder? I'll probably just buy one rather than rent it. 

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

If you put down ceramic tile on the floor, they will continue to break. Porcelain is for floors, ceramic is for walls and countertops.

I won't disagree, but we were going with the cheapest option for now. We had carpet, and dogs one of those was going to have to go. In a few years, we will probably do a complete kitchen and LR remodel. replace the cabinets, make the fireplace flush with the wall,  and then I'll lay hardwood (or something that looks like hardwood)

We have a kid on the way, so most of our budget is going to be spent setting that up. And my other kid has requested a UT themed bedroom and, obviously, that'll be the focus of my money :)

You could use a grinder but it's gonna kick up a shit ton of dust.  I would suggest you just go buy/rent a hammer drill.  It will do what you need to do and it will hold the edge against the tiles you want to keep a LOT better than the angle grinder.  It will still kick up some dust but it will take off the mortar in bigger pieces.  It's a great tool for removing tile, mortar or drilling holes in concrete. Here's the harbor fright low end version https://www.harborfreight.com/1-18-in-sds-variable-speed-pro-rotary-hammer-kit-64288.html

I use a wider spade chisel than the one shown on this unit.  There is also tool that is more like a jack hammer on a dolly that holds the same angle that works fantastically for large areas, but is too large for the small space you are looking at replacing.  

I would ALSO look VERY CLOSELY to see if there is a low spot in the concrete that may have led to hollow spots that allowed the original cracking.

64288_I.jpg

• Like 1

Yea, get a pneumatic chisel. Home Depot rents a Hilti model with several attachments. Grinding cement inside is a baaad idea and should be avoided if at all possible.

Ceramic tile on floor is fine in residential application where freeze/thaw is not an issue.

Also, simply walking on a floor before thinset has fully cured shouldn’t be cracking tile. Something else is going on. Did you inspect slab for cracks and check flatness before installing?

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, Your Mom said:

The electric or pneumatic chisel is the right answer. 

having a cheap helper who can hold a shop vac near the  chiseling/grinding action to pick up the dust is a good option.  otherwise, as mentioned up thread, the dust can be nasty.  I typically have a couple of my semi-retired air purifiers running in the demo rooms to help with the dust as well.  it makes a good reason to buy more for the main house and demote the current ones as well.

My old timer handyman used this for everything cutting, scraping related.  it does create the dust so you need someone with the shop vac nearby:

Cheap and just use it till it burns out(many different blade attachments as well):

https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-62866.html

62866_zzz_alt1_500.jpg

Edited by zork