The Boy Scouts are considering bankruptcy

Parliament

19 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Hunting safety is a part of the BSA curriculum, but not hunting. (just googled it)

Correct.  Our son's troop does an annual hunting campout with extended shooting practice led by NRA-certified instructors (who, thankfully, leave all politics out of it).  The shooting merit badge has safety and shooting-accuracy requirements.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:03 AM, Asithappens said:

The BSA is kind of like the NRA. Both were good, respectable organizations but now have been driven to dark side by evangelicals and right-wing retards. 

The BSA's stance against gay kids (however that stance may have changed) was pathetic, as was their rule against having moms be den leaders. 

You mean the evangelicala who started it?

8 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

Correct.  Our son's troop does an annual hunting campout with extended shooting practice led by NRA-certified instructors (who, thankfully, leave all politics out of it).  The shooting merit badge has safety and shooting-accuracy requirements.

While Scouts are not allowed to hunt as a troop lead program, there is nothing in the BSA Sweet Sixteen or Guide to Safe Scouting that prohibits a Venturing Crew (coed ages 14-21) from conducting a hunting activities.

They run the business differently. When the Girl Scouts sell cookies, a very large portion of that money goes back to the organization and then whatever is leftover stays with the troop. My kids Boy Scout troop sells mulch and I guarantee they exceed the dollar figure of most Girl Scout troop cookie sales by thousands of dollars every year. But that money mostly stays within our troop and pays for our camp outs, trailer, equipment, fees to use all the Boy Scout ranches, etc...  I think some gets sent back to BSA, but not the majority of it. 

This is correct. Girl Scouts send roughly 70% of cookie money to nationals. We keep 100% and send the nationals about 1,500 per year to charter our troop of 30 boys or so.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

While Scouts are not allowed to hunt as a troop lead program, there is nothing in the BSA Sweet Sixteen or Guide to Safe Scouting that prohibits a Venturing Crew (coed ages 14-21) from conducting a hunting activities.

Yes, to be exact, it’s a shooting campout that covers some hunting techniques - not actual hunting. 

5 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Yes, to be exact, it’s a shooting campout that covers some hunting techniques - not actual hunting. 

Yes I fully understand at the scout level (I helped charter a troop and served as SM for 5 years) hunting is prohibited,   my point  was that Venturing crews can actually go hunting as a crew activity.  Just as there are several crews in SHAC that are shooting crews (like weekly meetings at the range) there is at least one crew out in the Rocky Mountains that hunts big game. 

15 hours ago, Skinny Tie said:

I was in Cub scouts, but only made it a few months in Boy Scouts. Wanted to focus on man shit like football. 

Also, this fucking psycho in the story below was in the same Boy Scouts troop. Got a real shitty vibe back in the day, and glad I never got close to him. Pretty much covers the BINGO card on weirdness. Baylor student, Eagle scout, murders family, stabs dog 17 times, adopted, and Baylor student (reinforced)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myplainview.com/news/amp/Former-Baylor-student-pleads-guilty-to-killing-8923913.php

We'll, there's still alot of Eagle Scouts around.

16 hours ago, Skinny Tie said:

I was in Cub scouts, but only made it a few months in Boy Scouts. Wanted to focus on man shit like football. 

Also, this fucking psycho in the story below was in the same Boy Scouts troop. Got a real shitty vibe back in the day, and glad I never got close to him. Pretty much covers the BINGO card on weirdness. Baylor student, Eagle scout, murders family, stabs dog 17 times, adopted, and Baylor student (reinforced)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myplainview.com/news/amp/Former-Baylor-student-pleads-guilty-to-killing-8923913.php

damn-shame-5.gif