Georgia Offense overview

sushihorn

11 hours ago, sushihorn said:

It's from the stats page on UGa's own website.

Thanks for pointing those out.  I've always looked at cfbstats.com to get data, and haven't seen how well laid out the stats are directly from the official sites.  Didn't used to be like that, but admittedly, I haven't checked for quite some time.

The reason I asked, is I wanted to give a little more context to the numbers being quoted for PBUs.  I, of course, see now where you got the 10 - 20% figure.  As you can see the total rate of PBUs/Att for both teams is very similar (9.73% vs. 8.79%), however there is a huge outlier with Texas' numbers with the 12 PBUs in 34 attempts in the USC game.  What happened there?  Why is that number so skewed?

TO NOTE: I've excluded non-Power 5 teams from the data.

Opponent PBUs Attempts PBU/Att
South Carolina 0 19 0.00%
Missouri 1 23 4.35%
Tennessee 0 24 0.00%
Vanderbilt 3 31 9.68%
LSU 4 34 11.76%
Florida 5 24 20.83%
Kentucky 2 20 10.00%
Auburn 2 23 8.70%
Georgia Tech 0 19 0.00%
Alabama 8 40 20.00%
  25 257 9.73%

Opponent PBUs Attempts PBU/Att
Maryland 2 39 5.13%
USC 12 34 35.29%
TCU 1 32 3.13%
Kansas State 1 38 2.63%
Oklahoma 1 37 2.70%
Baylor 2 39 5.13%
Oklahoma State 6 42 14.29%
West Virginia 3 36 8.33%
Texas Tech 3 34 8.82%
Iowa State 0 25 0.00%
Kansas 3 28 10.71%
Oklahoma 3 37 8.11%
  37 421 8.79%

Really, in the Big 12, the physical attributes are only a small part of the equation. Every Big 12 defense comes to stop the pass. Great WRs recognize the defense they're seeing, and understand their role in putting those defenses in conflict. A deep post where the CB has safety help over the top is not open. Therefore, it's the secondary receiver's job to angle his route such that the safety must decide to sprint to the middle and cover the in, run to the boundary and help with the fly, or stay home to bracket the post.

Of course, the QB makes it all work. His eyes will make that secondary help defender hesitate or lean the wrong way. After finding the receiver drawing 1 on 1 coverage, it's a simple (!) matter of tossing a perfectly placed ball either in front of the receiver so that it drops over his shoulder into his basket or to his back shoulder. Either way, the defender is going to be on the wrong side of the receiver by design.

Big 12 defenses try to stop this silliness with a pass rush. If you give a Big 12 team time to develop a route, someone will get open. Now, Georgia has an OL to be envied. Texas would obviously counter this by using numbers - that is, sending more defenders than the OL can block from unexpected and non-obvious gaps. This makes me wonder about Georgia's dynamic play calling.

Does Georgia come to the line ready to either run or pass? In the Big 12, we like to count defenders in the box and switch to run or pass depending on the math. I'm expecting Texas to almost always have a ton of defenders in the box, then have some, none, or all of those defenders rearrange themselves at the snap. This will be an attempt to prevent UGA from running ISO's and stretches for 5 yards a clip. Todd Orlando has a lot of tweener players on his roster, and I'm sure he's coming up with new and interesting ways to deploy them. Any QB trying to freelance after the snap will probably need to chase down an INT.

12 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Does Georgia come to the line ready to either run or pass? In the Big 12, we like to count defenders in the box and switch to run or pass depending on the math. I'm expecting Texas to almost always have a ton of defenders in the box, then have some, none, or all of those defenders rearrange themselves at the snap. This will be an attempt to prevent UGA from running ISO's and stretches for 5 yards a clip. Todd Orlando has a lot of tweener players on his roster, and I'm sure he's coming up with new and interesting ways to deploy them. Any QB trying to freelance after the snap will probably need to chase down an INT.

Yep.  One of Fromm's biggest strengths is getting the Dawgs in the right play at the LOS.  He's one of those "student of the game" QBs that really knows the playbook, and one of the biggest parts of his game that the coaching staff heaps praise on him is his pre-snap reads.  That's a big part of the reason that Justin Fields wasn't able to unseat him during the year even though Justin is more physically gifted.  

33 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Big 12 defenses try to stop this silliness with a pass rush. If you give a Big 12 team time to develop a route, someone will get open.

Good timing on bringing this up as I was just about to bring some pressure stats to the table.  Looks like the sack rate (6.09% vs. 6.88%) and the INT rate (1.92% vs. 2.06%) are pretty similar for the teams.  The biggest standout stat here looks to be the QB hurry (QBH) rate.  Georgia was able to hurry QBs on 16.0% of the pass attempts against them, and Texas' rate was 7.3%.  UGA also had a better rate of breaking up passes at 12.8% of attempts vs. 9.6%.  

There seems to be a lot more variability in the QBH stats for Texas.  They had a few games with 0 QBHs credited and then were able to get after Baylor and Iowa State at about 20% clips.  Any thoughts as to why?  Are the Maryland and Kansas OLs better than I would think?  Were there injuries?

Opponent Opp Pass Att Sacks Sacks/Att INT INT/Att QBH QBH/Att PBU PBU/Att
South Carolina 48 1 2.08% 2 4.17% 3 6.3% 7 14.6%
Missouri 48 2 4.17% 1 2.08% 7 14.6% 9 18.8%
Tennessee 21 2 9.52% 0 0.00% 4 19.0% 3 14.3%
Vanderbilt 30 1 3.33% 0 0.00% 3 10.0% 6 20.0%
LSU 30 3 10.00% 0 0.00% 6 20.0% 3 10.0%
Florida 21 1 4.76% 1 4.76% 3 14.3% 1 4.8%
Kentucky 29 4 13.79% 0 0.00% 7 24.1% 1 3.4%
Auburn 37 0 0.00% 0 0.00% 3 8.1% 4 10.8%
Georgia Tech 14 3 21.43% 0 0.00% 7 50.0% 2 14.3%
Alabama 34 2 5.88% 2 5.88% 7 20.6% 4 11.8%
  312 19 6.09% 6 1.92% 50 16.0% 40 12.8%

Maryland 34 1 2.94% 0 0.00% 0 0.0% 3 8.8%
USC 48 3 6.25% 1 2.08% 4 8.3% 5 10.4%
TCU 40 0 0.00% 3 7.50% 4 10.0% 5 12.5%
Kansas State 25 3 12.00% 0 0.00% 1 4.0% 2 8.0%
Oklahoma 27 2 7.41% 1 3.70% 0 0.0% 2 7.4%
Baylor 40 3 7.50% 1 2.50% 9 22.5% 3 7.5%
Oklahoma State 34 3 8.82% 0 0.00% 4 11.8% 3 8.8%
West Virginia 42 0 0.00% 0 0.00% 2 4.8% 5 11.9%
Texas Tech 48 4 8.33% 1 2.08% 1 2.1% 3 6.3%
Iowa State 29 6 20.69% 1 3.45% 5 17.2% 4 13.8%
Kansas 35 3 8.57% 1 2.86% 0 0.0% 5 14.3%
Oklahoma 34 2 5.88% 0 0.00% 2 5.9% 2 5.9%
  436 30 6.88% 9 2.06% 32 7.3% 42 9.6%

Edited by So_co
formatting

9 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

GA probably saw a lot more 3rd and longs on defense versus teams that don’t throw 50 times a game.

Luckily that can be assessed.  Georgia put opponents into thrid and 7+ yards to go on 13.7% of attempts.  Texas did the same on 14.5% of pass attempts against them.

Texas both runs more passing plays and a higher percentage of them are into coverage (i.e. not swing passes, screens, short hitches and check downs).  With a lesser running threat, play action is less effective for Sam and he is forced to throw into fully developed coverage more often.  Assuming equal passing ability, Texas should have higher percentage and much higher numbers of PBUs and INTs given those differences.

I think someone just screwed up the numbers on the Texas-USC game and no one noticed.  I saw that game and there weren't half that many PBUs.  I suspect every incomplete pass with a defender in the area was (mis)counted.

It's hard to hurry KSU's QB because they're a Big 12 anomaly that doesn't pass as much. KSU lives off developing underappreciated talent into a precise power team. They don't hold or false start. They try to win by smashing out 3 yards per play on the ground, wasting time, and letting the opponent screw up. It's more effective than you'd think, and it lets a smaller school frustrate the more pedigreed league colleagues. Since most of their offense is basically student body right or left, it's tough to flush their QB.

Against Maryland, the Texas defense was missing a ton of its backline. These are the players that are supposed to flow in and out of gaps to make the defense an unpredictable dynamic entity. Maryland ran a ton of jet sweeps and tosses that flatly confused the replacements. When the defense dialed up pressure, Maryland ran right by it. Truly not their finest moment.

Lots of Big 12 teams avoid pass rush pressure by speeding up the play. With so many receivers in the pattern, the QB simply decides where he's going pre-snap. Since he's in the shotgun, there's no need to drop back. If the play is a slant or back-shoulder fade, he takes the snap and rips off a pass. Against an identified mismatch, this can be practically impossible to defend.

I've maintained throughout these posts that the Big 12 posts gaudy scores and stats because the league prioritizes players that use the entire length and width of the field to implement offensive strategies that leave defenses unable to cover everyone within the boundaries of the rules of football. The SEC is primarily an NFL style league emphasizing physical strength against physical strength, running the ball to set up opportunistic passing plays in a style that controls the field and the clock. Usually, out of conference games pit overmatched also-rans against top of the table contenders where nothing real is explored. Georgia certainly is a contender and belongs in the CFP tier. Texas didn't earn that distinction, but hopefully could be thought of as a representative contender. I'm eager to see these style against each other!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I think someone just screwed up the numbers on the Texas-USC game and no one noticed.  I saw that game and there weren't half that many PBUs.  I suspect every incomplete pass with a defender in the area was (mis)counted.

Naaahhh... just counting the ones that woulda been broken up if they were close enough to a receiver to have been caught.

22 minutes ago, So_co said:

Good timing on bringing this up as I was just about to bring some pressure stats to the table.  Looks like the sack rate (6.09% vs. 6.88%) and the INT rate (1.92% vs. 2.06%) are pretty similar for the teams.  The biggest standout stat here looks to be the QB hurry (QBH) rate.  Georgia was able to hurry QBs on 16.0% of the pass attempts against them, and Texas' rate was 7.3%.  UGA also had a better rate of breaking up passes at 12.8% of attempts vs. 9.6%.  

There seems to be a lot more variability in the QBH stats for Texas.  They had a few games with 0 QBHs credited and then were able to get after Baylor and Iowa State at about 20% clips.  Any thoughts as to why?  Are the Maryland and Kansas OLs better than I would think?  Were there injuries?

South Carolina 48 1 2.08% 2 4.17% 3 6.3% 7 14.6%
Missouri 48 2 4.17% 1 2.08% 7 14.6% 9 18.8%
Tennessee 21 2 9.52% 0 0.00% 4 19.0% 3 14.3%
Vanderbilt 30 1 3.33% 0 0.00% 3 10.0% 6 20.0%
LSU 30 3 10.00% 0 0.00% 6 20.0% 3 10.0%
Florida 21 1 4.76% 1 4.76% 3 14.3% 1 4.8%
Kentucky 29 4 13.79% 0 0.00% 7 24.1% 1 3.4%
Auburn 37 0 0.00% 0 0.00% 3 8.1% 4 10.8%
Georgia Tech 14 3 21.43% 0 0.00% 7 50.0% 2 14.3%
Alabama 34 2 5.88% 2 5.88% 7 20.6% 4 11.8%
  312 19 6.09% 6 1.92% 50 16.0% 40 12.8%

Maryland 34 1 2.94% 0 0.00% 0 0.0% 3 8.8%
USC 48 3 6.25% 1 2.08% 4 8.3% 5 10.4%
TCU 40 0 0.00% 3 7.50% 4 10.0% 5 12.5%
Kansas State 25 3 12.00% 0 0.00% 1 4.0% 2 8.0%
Oklahoma 27 2 7.41% 1 3.70% 0 0.0% 2 7.4%
Baylor 40 3 7.50% 1 2.50% 9 22.5% 3 7.5%
Oklahoma State 34 3 8.82% 0 0.00% 4 11.8% 3 8.8%
West Virginia 42 0 0.00% 0 0.00% 2 4.8% 5 11.9%
Texas Tech 48 4 8.33% 1 2.08% 1 2.1% 3 6.3%
Iowa State 29 6 20.69% 1 3.45% 5 17.2% 4 13.8%
Kansas 35 3 8.57% 1 2.86% 0 0.0% 5 14.3%
Oklahoma 34 2 5.88% 0 0.00% 2 5.9% 2 5.9%
  436 30 6.88% 9 2.06% 32 7.3% 42

9.6%

Keep in mind some of the truly obnoxious dual threat QBs Texas has faced.  A lot of potential QBHs turn into scrambles when facing guys like that Ewok Kyler Murray. Maryland, TCU, KSU, Baylor, TTU and Iowa State all had serious run threats at the QB position.  Those type of QBs force the pass rush to prioritize containing and staying in their rush lane rather than penetrating, which neutralizes one of the strengths of the Texas pass rush.  You also don't blitz them much because they can buy time with their feet to let their receivers beat man coverage behind the blitz.  Finally, the Longhorns faced a lot of Air Raid teams that get the ball out quickly: WV, Tech and OU would be the premier examples but most Big XII offenses incorporate Air Raid concepts.  None of those constraints apply with Fromm and Georgia.

I'm actually surprised the Horns got that much pressure on ISU's Purdy.  In Brewer's case, Baylor doesn't have enough other threats to stop a defense from pinning their ears back.

I think a lot of the differences can be explained by the style and ability of opponents' offenses.  You can look at the number of pass attempts by opponents for a rough idea of how comfortable they are throwing the ball.  Other than Missouri, I'm not sure there is a single SEC team that I would take over its Big XII counterpart if I had to convert 3rd and long passing.  Most SEC teams throw a ton of low-risk short passes in front of the defenders, mixed in with deep shots into (hopefully) single coverage.  Both types are simple reads for the QB (pre-snap on the shorties).  Big XII teams throw a lot more passes that require reads of multiple defenders as a matter of course.  So QBs in our conference are not out of their comfort zone when asked to throw 10 yards to the sticks into blanket coverage.

Normally SEC teams compensate for a lack of intermediate passing game by running the ball well.  That works fine overall but doesn't help much on 3rd and long.  Conversely, I'd take the SEC team in nearly every case if I had to convert 3rd and 2 or 3 running the ball.

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

It's hard to hurry KSU's QB because they're a Big 12 anomaly that doesn't pass as much. KSU lives off developing underappreciated talent into a precise power team. They don't get called for holding or false starts

Fixed it for you. KSU holds on every single play; it's part of their charm, though -- they pinch it towards the middle, and basically wait until an interior DL gets dragged into the way of the filling LB or safety, and then the QB follows that melee for 5 or 6 free yards.

Otherwise, spot on.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Fair enough. Some teams are better than others at keeping the refs' hankies in their pockets, though. KSU is pretty damned good at it.

Natural fact. 

I don't know if we're cleaner than the rest, or just incompetent at teaching holding.

43 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

So they are gonna put out a list of the best wr in the country after they give out the trophy?

Nope, just referencing that you’ll get to see UGA’s terrible receivers firsthand, the ones that can’t make the Biletnikoff list. 

21 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

I am not that metric savvy but I know this.  When UGA is in 3rd and 6+ Texas had better watch out for three players - Nauta, Swift and Ridley.

Don't forget about possibly the fastest man on the field in #4 Mecole Hardman!  This gif was from the national title game last year on a third and long where Mecole had a few steps on Bama's fastest player (NCAA 10.12 100 m time).  

frommbomb.0.gif

17 hours ago, Teddy said:

Don't worry, you won't have to miss them too much longer. You'll get to see them come January 1st.  :D

do you think your wr's have come in contact with db's as physical as ours?  i'd wager to say not.  we get burned a lot, but when we hit you're not going to like it.  your passing attack is far below the level we've played all season, so i do not see this being as big a factor in this game.  georgia can run the ball, and that's their strength and our weakness.  this is the ball game, imo, when you have the ball at least.  

11 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

do you think your wr's have come in contact with db's as physical as ours?  i'd wager to say not.  we get burned a lot, but when we hit you're not going to like it.  your passing attack is far below the level we've played all season, so i do not see this being as big a factor in this game.  georgia can run the ball, and that's their strength and our weakness.  this is the ball game, imo, when you have the ball at least.  

If there is one thing that the UGA WRs do well, and as well as any group in the nation, it's play a physical brand of football.  Don't worry, they'll hit back.

7635189.jpg

Edited by So_co
Added pic of Holloman getting ready to eat!

Just now, So_co said:

If there is one thing that the UGA WRs do well, and as well as any group in the nation, it's play a physical brand of football.  Don't worry, they'll hit back.

that may be, but i don't think you have the edge there.  your edge is in the running game.  if we can somehow stop the run and force you to throw we will win this game.  you will not beat us passing.  that's just my prediction and the way i am seeing it today.  come gametime you guys could toast us for 500 yds passing for all i know. on paper, right now though, i don't see you passing on us.

Texas has seen really fast guys this season.  Most of them were better WRs than Hardman too.  TCU's KaVonte Turpin, OU's Marquise Brown and Tech's Ja'Dieon High come to mind immediately.  Speed is good but it's less important than hands, route running and ability to read a defense, while being about equal to sized and strength.  Those factors are the reason the very fast D'Shawn Jamison is buried on the WR depth chart behind bigger, slower but more skilled guys in Austin.

Edited by sushihorn

As MensaTom said at the start of the season - and pretty damn accurately, I believe - our 1's are as good as anybody's, but our 2's aren't there, yet. ood way

If we can manage the game in such a way that we can keep our 1's on the field for the most part, we can beat Jawja - or anyone else for that matter. But if we have to get much into the depth-chart, we'll have to depend on over-achieving to pull it out. Our bowl game last year gives me some hope that our staff has a game plan that gives us an edge.

Win or lose, we've come a good piece along the path to Texas is Back.

Hook'em.

17 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that may be, but i don't think you have the edge there.  your edge is in the running game.  if we can somehow stop the run and force you to throw we will win this game.  you will not beat us passing.  that's just my prediction and the way i am seeing it today.  come gametime you guys could toast us for 500 yds passing for all i know. on paper, right now though, i don't see you passing on us.

I certainly agree that the edge for UGAs offense is more in the run game than the pass game.  UGA runs the ball to open up the pass, so if they are having success on the ground, the passing game will open up.  As you said, the key to UTs success in this game is stopping the UGA run game.  

I know that Herman and Texas are working toward building a physical football team, and it looks like he's made strides in doing so.  That's good.  I love a physical brand of football.  This will be a real measuring stick for how far along in that process you are, as UGA is undoubtedly one of the most physical teams in all of college ball.  If Texas can out-physical UGA, then you have really come a long way.

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Texas has seen really fast guys this season.  Most of them were better WRs than Hardman too.  TCU's KaVonte Turpin, OU's Marquise Brown and Tech's Ja'Dieon High come to mind immediately.  Speed is good but it's less important than hands, route running and ability to read a defense, while being about equal to sized and strength.  Those factors are the reason the very fast D'Shawn Jamison is buried on the WR depth chart behind bigger, slower but more skilled guys in Austin.

Yeah, UGA has one of those guys too in former 5-star transfer from Cal, Demetris Robertson.  He's a burner and was on the all FR PAC-12 team at Cal, but ended up transferring to UGA, and can't see the field because he's behind WRs that are bringing the physicality to the game that he just isn't ready to deliver on.  

Mecole still does need some polish, but you can't teach a guy to run a 4.32 40. 

Everyone in the secondary will stick you. Locke might have some trouble covering great slot receivers, but he’s not afraid to come up in run support. Jones excels at it.

No one in their right mind thinks Georgia has weak WRs. We all know the way Georgia has recruited and all the 5-stars they enticed to go to Athens. It is actually amazing to me how these SEC programs are so consistently able to convince elite WR prospects to languish on Middle Earth offenses for 3 years before jumping to the NFL. Shocking! 

It didn't take long for Georgia guy to make a comment about "SEC speed." They just can't help themselves. The fact remains, Georgia does not respect Texas. While we are not as talented as we want to be, and certainly not as deep, we do have fast athletes on this team and have faced plenty of fast athletes this season.

I am far more concerned about #2 fucking up on routine balls than I am of being outrun by a bunch of SEC players. I am WAY concerned about Hager getting rag-dolled, Wheeler filling the wrong gaps, and PJ whiffing on TFLs than I am about the mythological athletic superiority of an upper tier SEC team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

You're right, the SEC is known for not having physical DBs, and UGA has never been hit hard playing these SEC defenses. UGA's ground and pound tactics lead it to be soft and not like getting hit... And UGA's passing attack is different, not necessarily below the level you've seen. UGA believes in balance, but some blowouts led their run/pass ratio to be skewed more than it would be otherwise. Against Bama, UGA had 39 pass attempts and 39 rush attempts. As I've said several times before, when Ehlinger (or this can relate to any pass happy team's QB) has 126 more attempts, he's bound to have 586 more yards than Fromm. Fromm would only need 4.65 yds/att to catch Ehlinger in yardage if given 126 more attempts (he's currently averaging 9.33 yds/att). And yes, the running game will be what sets the tone of how much UGA will pass this game. Stop the run and you'll get to see if UGA's passing game is any good. 

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

No one in their right mind thinks Georgia has weak WRs. We all know the way Georgia has recruited and all the 5-stars they enticed to go to Athens. It is actually amazing to me how these SEC programs are so consistently able to convince elite WR prospects to languish on Middle Earth offenses for 3 years before jumping to the NFL. Shocking! 

It didn't take long for Georgia guy to make a comment about "SEC speed." They just can't help themselves. The fact remains, Georgia does not respect Texas. While we are not as talented as we want to be, and certainly not as deep, we do have fast athletes on this team and have faced plenty of fast athletes this season.

I am far more concerned about #2 fucking up on routine balls than I am of being outrun by a bunch of SEC players. I am WAY concerned about Hager getting rag-dolled, Wheeler filling the wrong gaps, and PJ whiffing on TFLs than I am about the mythological athletic superiority of an upper tier SEC team.

I'm guessing they go to the SEC because they keep getting drafted and paid in the NFL. The SEC has the most receivers on NFL active rosters (as well as some of the best in the league; Julio, AJ Green, Beckham, Mike Evans), over double what the Big12 has in the league (and TTU accounts for 7 of the 14 from the Big12). Georgia is tied for 3rd in most active receivers in the NFL, only TTU and Clemson have more. NFL likes their size, athleticism, the fact that they played in pro-style offenses (learned to block too), and have tape against some of the best defenses in the country. Probably not hard to recruit these kids when you can point to how many are already in the league, as well as some of the highest paid receivers. I knew the SEC has produced some of the better receivers, but did not expect the conference to have the most in the league. That was an interesting find, and supports my theory above about how everyone underestimates SEC passing attacks. 

https://herosports.com/college-football/wr-u-schools-most-receivers-week-1-nfl-rosters-ahah 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

i'm not sure where you are getting your perception.  georgia has signed no 5-star wr's going back to through 2014. zero. zilch. nada.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Hardman was 5-star.  But classified as an ATH, not WR - which I think is exactly correct.

okay, fine.  so they have one 5-star wr on campus.  i'm just trying to keep it real.  there was a georgia fan on here last week saying they substitute 5 stars with 5 stars.  that's not really true. let's not panic.  with proper coaching and game plan we can beat these guys.

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

okay, fine.  so they have one 5-star wr on campus.  i'm just trying to keep it real.  there was a georgia fan on here last week saying they substitute 5 stars with 5 stars.  that's not really true. let's not panic.  with proper coaching and game plan we can beat these guys.

Absolutely correct.  That's just my OCD acting up again.  But the point is that he's a top shelf athlete but not so much as a wideout.  Hardman is very fast but he's a mediocre WR by Big XII standards.  He's basically a less productive KaVonte Turpin w/o the rap sheet.  If Kirby pursues the same game plan he had against Bama, Auburn and Mizzou then Orlando will sell out to stop the run.  He'll dare Fromm to beat fire zones and disguised coverage and blitzes on 3rd and long.  Having watched most of Georgia's competitive games, one reason for so many PBUs is their WRs tend to drop the ball when they get hit.  That's why their TE Nauta is the weapon I fear most.  He's got good hands, good speed for a TE and comes down with the ball in traffic.

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

How is Fromms ability to buy time in the pocket, scramble that sort of thing?

He's more of a step up in the pocket or slide to the side a step or two.  If that doesn't work, he'll get rid of it or take the sack.  Won't see him move much more than that especially with an iffy backup situation.

12 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

How is Fromms ability to buy time in the pocket, scramble that sort of thing?

Does OK moving in the pocket.  Not a running threat.  ESPN breaks out sack yardage so Fromm is (-22 yds) on 36 runs.  Remove the sacks and he's +59 yds on 22 attempts.  For reference, Sam is 603 yds on 119 runs when adjusted for sacks.  Think Shane Buechele, not Sam Ehlinger as a runner.

Edited by sushihorn

16 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

To be fair to the players, not that it means anything more than a hill of beans right now, but there are 3 five star guys at WR for UGA right now.

Demetris Robertson as a WR (transfer from Cal; hasn't seen much time yet)

Hardman as an ATH 

Godwin as an ATH

With that being said, stars don't mean #$% once on campus.

5 hours ago, So_co said:

To be fair to the players, not that it means anything more than a hill of beans right now, but there are 3 five star guys at WR for UGA right now.

Demetris Robertson as a WR (transfer from Cal; hasn't seen much time yet)

Hardman as an ATH 

Godwin as an ATH

With that being said, stars don't mean #$% once on campus.

You can cuss on our board, it's ok.  

Appreciate your takes and completely expect you to be confident in your team, not real fond of posters who come and can't help themselves from spewing SEC this and that bullshit, we don't buy the myth over here.  Your most recent middle of the pack acquisitions are doing over there exactly what they did here, if not actually a bit better in your neighborhood.  

We are eternally grateful for you taking aggy off our hands.  Now if you could just figure out you conference scheduling since we play you more often than you play them, well, that would be an improvement.  

I'm guessing they go to the SEC because they keep getting drafted and paid in the NFL. The SEC has the most receivers on NFL active rosters (as well as some of the best in the league; Julio, AJ Green, Beckham, Mike Evans), over double what the Big12 has in the league (and TTU accounts for 7 of the 14 from the Big12). Georgia is tied for 3rd in most active receivers in the NFL, only TTU and Clemson have more. NFL likes their size, athleticism, the fact that they played in pro-style offenses (learned to block too), and have tape against some of the best defenses in the country. Probably not hard to recruit these kids when you can point to how many are already in the league, as well as some of the highest paid receivers. I knew the SEC has produced some of the better receivers, but did not expect the conference to have the most in the league. That was an interesting find, and supports my theory above about how everyone underestimates SEC passing attacks. 
https://herosports.com/college-football/wr-u-schools-most-receivers-week-1-nfl-rosters-ahah 

I swear Baylor has four wrs in the league, interesting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I swear Baylor has four wrs in the league, interesting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former Longhorn Marcus Johnson started the year with the Seahawks and was traded to the Colts while Baylor's Corey Coleman has been on a couple of teams this year and is currently on the Giants. That list doesn't seem close to being accurate. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

21 hours ago, Teddy said:

Shows the big 12 with 28 (with 4 less teams)

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/105475/Contents/Big-12-players-on-NFL-rosters-101441067/

*sure there have been a few cuts/signings

Edited by ChickenSandwich