Laptop Recommendations- No Cholas please

Computer at the house finally died.  Wanted to hear Surly recommendation on laptops, in addition to my own research.

1. Not brand loyal, although I would prefer not to have an apple device for this purchase. I do use an iphone and ipad, so this is not a ‘hate on apple’ situation. Just personal preference for this purpose.

2. Price matters, but am willing to consider competitive pricing for better quality machine.

3. I do virtually no gaming.  I participate on multiple discussion forums and FB.  I don’t necessarily want the bottom of the line horseshit that takes forever to load the music or movie  discussions on Surly; but I don’t need some NASA capable Ferrari shit either.

4. I do occasionally take the laptop for travel, but it is not a daily/ weekly thing like for work or something. Durability is a factor, but it doesn’t have to be bulletproof either.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/504300/probook-450-g5-156-laptop-computer---silver

probooks are better put together than the pavillion line (though it's not a latitude or thinkpad).  this is a quad core (it's 2019 dual core processors are dead) and has an SSD (iow it boots faster and loads programs faster than the old spinning piles of rust we used before).  matte IPS screen so you don't get the reflections of everything around you.  should be space for another stick of ram in there.  only real con is the not quite full size keyboard  because HP stuck a numberpad on there.  

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

ASUS Zenbook

I like 14” laptops. Perfect size imo

As said above, get one with ssd

Try and get 16gb ram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had the worse luck with Dell computers for the last 18 years and have given up on Dell.  At least two HP laptops were lemons.  I got the best deal on an ASUS FX550I and I like it a lot. It also fits right in with my other ASUS, which is a tablet with attached bluetooth keyboard (ASUS T100CHI)

Edited by Soldierhorn

How much do you want to spend? What screen size do you want? How portable do you need it? Weight? On battery most of the time? Touchpad or mouse most of the time? USB-C required?

You don't need 16Gb of ram. You only need 8.  Touchscreen is nice to have but you it's personal preference. 1080p screen is a must. SSD ≥ 200 Gb is a must. I've had good luck with Dell and Lenovo.

Edited by crash_davis

Lots of good deals for laptops around $500.  I like the Flex 6 14" for $470.  Good blend of portable versus screen size. It has the Ryzen equivalent of the Intel core I5.  I know there was an issue with AMD Ryzen chips and updating drivers but that was over a year ago. Have not heard any other issues.

https://slickdeals.net/laptop-deals/

https://slickdeals.net/f/12652897-lenovo-flex-6-14-2-in-1-laptop-ryzen-5-2500u-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-win-10-onyx-black-470-ac-free-shipping?src=catpagev2

Edited by crash_davis

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Get a fucking Lenovo and be done with it

Got a Lenovo ideapad330.  Not the low end one and not the high end one.

15.6" HD screen.

Intel Core i3 processor. 

8G RAM

1TB Hard drive

$349.

I use a Lenovo from work and it's been the best machine I've had in 18 years( 6 different ones) of having a portable computer.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Got a Lenovo ideapad330.  Not the low end one and not the high end one.

15.6" HD screen.

Intel Core i3 processor. 

8G RAM

1TB Hard drive

$349.

I use a Lenovo from work and it's been the best machine I've had in 18 years( 6 different ones) of having a portable computer.

SSDs are really inexpensive now. Do yourself a favor and get a SSD. The difference is huge.