Star Trek Discovery: Season 2 - It Got Good. Real Good. (Ep 1 inside)

atomheartbevo

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Can we get him fired from Picard too?

The stuff that has been popping up about Strange New Worlds sure makes it look like Kurtzman was cut out of SNW.  It looks like they are seriously paying homage to the original series, to Pike's backstory, to the whole era/feel in general.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, Js1 said:

I just finished a Disco rewatch over the past 4 weeks. It really watches better as a binge. Damn will I miss Michelle Yeoh in this series (she verbally cuts people down in a way no one else can, except Tilly when she pretended to be Killy.

I hope Doug Jones is only on Kaminar for part of the season.  Saru is the Federation with all its ideals and values and rigid adherence to process and procedure. Burnham needs him to reign her in. 

I have high hopes for season 4

Yeah I wasn't big on Saru in the beginning, but he's legit the very ideal of  Starfleet more than Burnham is, and you're right...she needs him to reign her in, and he needs her to open his horizons more.  Their friendship/sibling like relationship is the true Heart of the show.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The stuff that has been popping up about Strange New Worlds sure makes it look like Kurtzman was cut out of SNW.  It looks like they are seriously paying homage to the original series, to Pike's backstory, to the whole era/feel in general.

SNW has the potential to be the best of all the new shows and maybe since TNG if they pull it off right.  The Cast they had in S2 of Disco was amazingly good.

Edited by Drew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nice Starship Troopers shoutout.  

I’m actually enjoying Lower Decks.   

I rewatched it prior to the new season as I didn’t finish it the first time/didn’t care for it. Liked it much more the second time and enjoying s2

It’s a great way to kill 30 minutes. If you’re looking for the best Trek in the style of TNG, try the Orville. If you’re looking for a fun romp in a familiar universe, try Lower Decks. Not too sure about the Pakled hate on the show. It seems like a spoof of the Ferengi as the big bad in ST:TNG S1, but it also seems like a back door way to make fun of the regards.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Love it, but another 90 second intro?  Paramount+ doesn't have a skip title intro option. 

Yeah, and I bet it's on purpose with the Start Trek stuff (I think it can be skipped with some of the kids' shows).  Actually, with some of the kid shows, they make sure and run a little Nickolodeon promo of some kid skateboarding on toilet paper or something.

I'm actually kind of excited for this series as a way to get my 3rd grader into Star Trek.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Prodigy animated Janeway has a weird ass head.  She looks like a white version of one of the Avatar aliens. 

As the victim, err...not the right word, but anyways, as somebody with two young kids, unfortunately a lot of kids animation has that style to it.

It's basically Ready Jet Go for Star Trek.

20151013_190526_248966_ready-jet-go.png

Lower Decks has been pretty solid this season.   

It's now in my #2 slot behind Strange New Worlds as far as the new Star Trek shows.

And yes, I know, SNW is not even out, but don't care.

Although I must admit that last week's episode with the Mugatos fucking each other against the log that the officers were hiding in, while a third Mugato watched the first two and jerked off was...kinda not really Star Trek-ish at first.

Seriously, these guys apparently love to fuck.  Roddenberry was literal about them being horny.

9cb67ffb59554ab1dabb65bcb370ddd9.jpg?ito

Gorboona_aka_mugato.jpg.af8c5e6ddd45fd91082b600557b73ea4.jpg

I love Lower Decks.  They do the Easter Egg game at about an 11.5, especially this season, but I still enjoy it.  It's fun to catch different references all throughout the show.  I'm so surprised by how much I've fallen in love with LD. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I love Lower Decks.  They do the Easter Egg game at about an 11.5, especially this season, but I still enjoy it.  It's fun to catch different references all throughout the show.  I'm so surprised by how much I've fallen in love with LD. 

Yeah, it's been crazy how much I've fallen for the show.

Originally I was somewhere between "meh" and "oh for fuck's sake they are out of ideas just trying to cash in and go cheap with an animated show."

But the writers seriously love Star Trek and it shows.  I really dig all of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes/with the lower deck crews.

But I really liked John Scalzi's Redshirts, and this taps into that.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, Js1 said:

Prodigy animated Janeway has a weird ass head.  She looks like a white version of one of the Avatar aliens. 

I was thinking about this some more - besides the fact that they are stylistically copying a ton of animated kids shows (Netflix, PBS and Ready Jet Go, Nick, Disney Jr. with Miles from Tomorrowland, etc.), they are running Prodigy up against all of that competition.

That is a seriously crowded field.  Netflix seems to add a new animated show every week.

Lower Decks has very little competition (maybe Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites, but that's about it).

I know I've said it, but it bears repeating: LD is my favorite Trek.  It doesn't take itself too seriously (*cough* Discovery) and I think it plays to a lot of people who imagine themselves in the Trek universe - we are all Brad Boimlers fanboying at the big dogs and/or Tendi, who is just excited to literally do anything for Star Fleet, even if it's collecting the bridge crew's artifact trash. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I know I've said it, but it bears repeating: LD is my favorite Trek.  It doesn't take itself too seriously (*cough* Discovery) and I think it plays to a lot of people who imagine themselves in the Trek universe - we are all Brad Boimlers fanboying at the big dogs and/or Tendi, who is just excited to literally do anything for Star Fleet, even if it's collecting the bridge crew's artifact trash. 

I think the idea that there are groups of redshirts who are out there practicing speeches they won't need for 10 or 15 years.

Also, the Pakleds as an antagonist are growing on me.  They are the aggy of ST alien species.

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think the idea that there are groups of redshirts who are out there practicing speeches they won't need for 10 or 15 years.

Also, the Pakleds as an antagonist are growing on me.  They are the aggy of ST alien species.

They really are. Every ship is the Enterprise and every female captain is Janeway. (She’d be pissed they kept saying Captain Janeway, she’s was promoted to Admiral 2 years before LD takes place)

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Been working my way through Lower Decks since I finished The Wire last week. It's definitely fun and I like that I don't end up staying up until two in the morning because each episode pretty well stands alone and I short enough to stop at a reasonable hour.

It's really not what I originally expected, which was a parody of Star Trek.  It's a comedy set within Star Trek: TNG.

I didn't know I needed it.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:00 PM, Apep said:

The most recent Below Decks was more tame, focused, and generally better. Unlike the Orville, it doesn’t feel like TNG. It has some very funny bits, like the first Holodeck scene. The gag could work in the TNG universe, but it needs a subtle, straight man set up. 

On 8/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, Apep said:

I watched it. The Orville exists and is way better. Hopefully the first episode was egregiously over-the-top because the writers haven't found their groove. Don't have much hope of that.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, Apep said:

I watched the third Lower Decks episode last night. There are some funny bits. I like the voice cast and the animation. The problem is that it lacks subtlety and feels more like a ham-handed deconstruction of the ST:TNG universe than a comedy set in that universe. "The Problem with Edward" is an excellent example of how to make comedy work while staying true to the feel of Star Trek.

On 8/28/2020 at 12:05 PM, Apep said:

So I'm continuing to watch Lower Decks. It's getting slightly more serious, but less funny. Like they burned through all the best bits already. It's also seems to be turning into a PG ST YA fanfic.

A year later, my posts don’t always hold up well. The writers found their groove and became less bombastic. It is working.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Apep said:

A year later, my posts don’t always hold up well. The writers found their groove and became less bombastic. It is working.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were operating under some serious restrictions from up high, or were under the assumption that they had some serious restrictions and/or were not sure how ST fans were going to react in that first season.  They had to write a bunch of those episodes without having had any fan feedback.

It's pretty much a love letter to Star Trek at times, and not just TNG, but plenty of TOS and animated series callouts.

It and Strange New Worlds are the only ST I look forward to these days.  Prodigy, I'll try to get my kid to watch, but I harbor no illusions.

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

I liked seeing the Klingon and Vulcan lower decks. Holy fuck I kept cracking up at the Vulcans 

Pakleds and Borg Lower Decks was amusing as well.

But yeah, the Vulcans and Klingons were funny.

I'm guessing that the Vulcan will end up on Lower Decks next season.  She was a combination of Boimler and Mariner.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pakleds and Borg Lower Decks was amusing as well.

But yeah, the Vulcans and Klingons were funny.

I'm guessing that the Vulcan will end up on Lower Decks next season.  She was a combination of Boimler and Mariner.

🖖🏻 avoid death and cower! 

• Haha 1