Star Trek Discovery: Season 2 - It Got Good. Real Good. (Ep 1 inside)

atomheartbevo

47 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Looking at the last couple pages here, this thread is basically just love letters between Js1 and atomheartbevo.

There’s 3 Trek shows with a fourth starting in a couple weeks.  It’s never been a better time to enjoy as much Trek year round, but people understandably aren’t excited to subscribe to P+ to watch it 

Some stuff from the show runner on last week's LD, including spoilers for S3.

Also, the Pakleds are the Lower Decks of aliens in Star Trek, LOL.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2021/10/interview-star-trek-lower-decks-mike-mcmahan-wej-duj-three-ships/

Almost in a flash, I just realized that I wanted to see the lower decks of other ships – like on a Vulcan ship, and on a Klingon ship. That was the beginning of it: “I want to spend time with Vulcans, I want to spend time with Klingons, and I want it to feel cinematic.”

“wej Duj” kind of ended up being like the kind of pitch I’d make to Paramount if they’d let me make a Star Trek movie. What I would want is like a Wrath of Khan-era movie that looks like it was produced in 1982, from the point of view of a Klingon ship – and the point of view of a Vulcan ship. That’s like my dream Star Trek movie.

So we condensed that into this examination of Lower Deck-ish-ness, this celebration of Lower Deck-ish-ness – and getting to tell this triple-mini-movie that’s part Undiscovered Country, part this Vulcan thing we’ve never seen before, and have it all tie up with our overall Season 2 plot… I was just so in love with this episode.

When we were really trying to nail down how we wanted our show’s Vulcans to speak, it’s like, not only are they precise and logical, but they’re also kind of catty, you know? It just feels so right.

We spent the longest time in sound design for this episode too – we did like a six-hour mix because this is the first time I felt like we made an episode that could have been part of the Next Gen or Deep Space Nine series. It’s a little faster and a little funnier than those shows, but to me, I was losing my mind with happiness that we pulled it off.

And still, 800 episodes of Star Trek, there’s never been a single episode where it’s all Klingons who don’t talk to the Federation at all? Or one where it’s just a bunch of Vulcans flying around in their own ship?

I honestly couldn’t believe we were the first ones to do it.

Well the name of the show is Lower Decks, right? And the Pakled stuff is big, but there are all these lower-decks levels: our main four characters are lower on the Cerritos, and then the Cerritos itself is in the “lower decks” of the Starfleet in some ways — and even the Pakleds themselves are kind of a “lower decks” alien race, in the pantheon of Star Trek aliens.

The thing about the Pakleds is, you know, I wanted there to be something going on with the, but it’s almost above our characters’ pay grade! Like, it’s almost like a “real” TNG or DS9-type villain, now that Klingons are involved.

If you go back through the season, we’re putting Klingon disruptors in the Pakled’s hands in the second episode to tie into this; they’re mining this stuff for the bomb that Captain Dorg gave them….

Spoiler

TREKCORE: Fans are clamoring to see T’Lyn again, they really fell in love with her.

McMAHAN: Kathryn Lyn wrote it, and she’s so deep into it — literally, T’Lyn is the name of the Vulcan she has cosplayed as for years at conventions.

There are a lot of people who are like, “Have her join the Cerritos!” — but listen, I have a story for T’Lyn figured out. Season 3 is written, and like, the first episode of Season 3, she’s not on the Cerritos, you know what I mean? But I have stories for T’Lyn that are coming. I love T’Lyn — and I love Ma’ah! My whole thing with Klingons is that I just love a Klingon that doesn’t backstab. A Klingon that’s like, the most honest in their motivations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It starts back up tomorrow.

Star Trek must be doing extremely well for Paramount+, to the point where they want to go it alone as far as covering the costs.  Netflix was footing the bill for a huge chunk of Disco's budget for the first three seasons being aired outside of the US/Canada, and ViacomCBS/Paramount+ just paid Netflix off fully to get the rights back, and they did it suddenly (the rights go away tonight).

https://deadline.com/2021/11/star-trek-discovery-netflix-deal-paramount-viacomcbs-1234875466/

More than four years after the series starring Sonequa Martin-Green launched on what was then CBS All Access in North America and Netflix in the rest of the world, Discovery will be leaving the steamer as of midnight tonight.

In a just-closed deal between ViacomCBS and Netflix, the Shari Redstone-controlled company has ended the lucrative financial arrangement that launched Discoveryback in 2017. In broad strokes, the bargain that then-CBS head honcho Les Moonves made with Netflix saw the latter paying the vast majority of Discovery‘s hefty budget for the overseas rights. With the top-tier IP fully back in the fold, the plan is for Discovery to take flight on Paramount+ around the globe starting next year.

The UK, Germany, Ireland, Austria and Switzerland will be among the first markets to stream Discovery on Paramount+ of the more than 20 countries the platform is available in outside of North America. ViacomCBS has said that as part of an accelerated expansion, it anticipates being in about 45 markets within the next year or so – and, of course, a high-profile brand like Star Trek will lead that charge.

In Canada, Discovery will stay on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel and streams on Crave under the long-standing deal with the northern broadcaster.

Earlier this month, ViacomCBS reported having nearly 47 million streaming subscribers across all of its services. It hasn’t yet broken out specific numbers for Paramount+. In a move seen as a sign of the difficulty of expanding streaming across the entire world, ViacomCBS formed a joint venture with Comcast for the Sky Showtime platform, which is set to launch in Europe.

While Star Trek: Picard will still be on Amazon outside of North America and Star Trek: Lower Decks will be on the Jeff Bezos owned streamer outside the U.S., Canada and Latin America, the Starfleet shift off Netflix was hinted at earlier this year. Back at the end of September, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise all left the streamer.

Must have been a massive backlash for them to admit this.

For the small amount of you reading this in furrin countries, they backed down, and they'll be available internationally, on Pluto, which CBSViacom owns.

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-four-lands-on-paramount-pluto-tv-internationally

The second ep was better. Starting to think the crew is getting too whiny, even compared to prior seasons. It's not that they are having problems, but rather that the problems are too quickly discussed or resolved. Let us see harsh Tilly stew for a few eps, before realizing there is a problem. I fear a return to season 2, when narrative-building was short-changed.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, MissingInAction said:

This shit is for 13 year old girls. I understand expanding the fan base is important, but this schlock is unwatchable.

10 hours ago, Apep said:

They’re definitely trying to take it YA. They haven’t learned from the Wesley Crusher debacle.

Well when Picard is pulling in the octogenarian crowd, Strange New Worlds will be pulling in the 30-80 crowd, Lower Decks is pulling in the 30-50-somethings, and Prodigy is pulling in the pre-teen crowd, you gotta find your niche somewhere.

The only thing that's missing is a show aimed at the pre-school crowd and the 20-somethings.

Starting to look like last season was an anomaly. They are back with poor pacing, lack of character development, and a marked lack of patience. This most recent ep had a great, timely concept. But I do not care about a bunch of redshirt cadets. It must suck to be so outshone by Lower Decks.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I binged Prodigy to refresh myself before tomorrow.  It's better on the rewatch, I think.  I also didn't appreciate Lower Decks until the second watch, either. 

I wonder how many people went into LD (or just avoided it) thinking it was making fun of Star Trek/TNG and instead turned out to be a love letter to/comedy set within TNG.

New Prodigy

Spoiler

Love a good Kobyashi Maru episode

Enjoyed hearing Scotty, Crusher, Odo, Uhura and Spock - think only Gates McFadden recorded new lines, though I think they should have had Ethan Peck record for Spock, because some the extended monologuing audio was bad

Star Trek Prodigy: The Search for Chakotay