Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I step away only to come back to find Pujara and Kohli are both gone. Wasting Rohit's performance.

Dont know. Pujara rarely wastes anything. That was a beautiful bowl. 

Kohli on the other hand wtf. Why such an attacking shot when you havent scored and just got on. Then stays there like wtf happpened. 

I went to bed at the lunch break figuring it was 50/50 game, maybe a slight edge to India with Rohit doing so well.  Wake up today for 300/6, I figure that’s a decided advantage for India at this stage.  Then again you never get a true feel for a pitch until both teams bat.

Hopefully Pant can get India to somewhere around 350 then pray the pitch explodes and spinners can work some magic.  They have to have a plan for getting Root out.  India can’t allow him to get set and put up another big score.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Hopefully Pant can get India to somewhere around 350 then pray the pitch explodes and spinners can work some magic.  They have to have a plan for getting Root out.  India can’t allow him to get set and put up another big score.

Axar is key. If he falls, the tail is really bad. Axar has to stay on to give Pant a chance to get India to 350. Axar has a pretty good first-class avg so I am cautiously optimistic, but hey man, this is test cricket. 

i am really really impressed by joe root the captain. Probably part of this is the english management/coaching  too. I dont quite understand all the field placement strategies (dont have that deep a cricket mind), but it seems planned/strategic. For instance, having both short mid-on and short mid-off is something I dont quite understand... but it seems to work. 

in contrast, coming to realize i am starting to strongly dislike kohli the captain.

mainly because he is always complaining when things dont go his way (in first test alone: pitch; sg balls; support spinners - which he bloody picked).

He also relies most exclusively on talent with so little to no strategy. (Fat ravi to get a huge blame for this too, but he is more of a babysitter than a coach so maybe bcci is to blame). India has superior talent (or equal at worst) to almost all teams right now, so that’s fine. But just an ounce of strategy would India make unbeatable. 

(I guess this shows why his ipl captaincy is so trash - he doessnt have clearly superior talent over the other ipl teams). 

And worst of all is his selection. Fucker doesnt know how to pick a team. india should always prioritize 5 best, wicket-taking bowlers - if the bowlers cant bat, thats fine. That is not their job. And india has, on averages alone, the best top 6 bats in the world right now. You fucking dont need Washington sundar as a 7th batsman for insurance. You need a wicket-taking bowler like kuldeep as 2nd spinner waaaaaay more. 2nd team selection is much better but only cuz he got to pick Axar; he is such an idiot- he needs to pick Kuldeep first; then you can pick the last spinner and maybe you still come to the same team, but, his selection thinking is really suspect and fat ravi doesnt have the balls to object to this thinking.

also guy is not humble at all. Gets clean bowled out and his face looked like he would’ve wasted a review if the umpire hadn't asked for review himself. also, wtf, umpire - why review clean bowled? If you cant confidently give that out on field, maybe, dont umpire a test.

And it is getting me to dislike him as a player, which is a huge pity.

Edited by remoh

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Rory Burns is a shit opener.  He makes Indian openers look great.

Openers are a prized commodity right now!

pretty much all teams have opener problems right now. India is actually looking pretty good with respect to openers - and thats not even counting Mayank

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

India can get England all out in the 62 overs remaining today especially if they keep bowling Ashwin regularly. I think it's worth it because Ashwin is clearly in England's head. Hopefully India has the problem of deciding whether to enforce the follow-on or to bat.

Even if it's a choice, no way I go for follow on with the way this pitch is getting worse by the hour.  Put England back in and they can get ahead by 100 runs, no guarantee you're going to chase it on this piece of shit pitch.