The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

First trip to Fruita this weekend.  Spent my time riding and enjoying parking lot beers at 18 road.  Really great trails where 30 minutes of easy climbing lead to 15 minutes flowy descents.

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going about 15 mph according to Strava, negotiating a slight uphill rocky section - I had some good momentum at that point. My back wheel hit one of the rocks popping me up onto my front wheel and I lost it into the sagebrush. Went over onto my right side headfirst, legs all tangled up in the frame. 

Good times. Had to ride back about 3 miles to the truck. 

I did something similar, some years ago.  not that knuckle, but the next one further out on my ring finger, iirc.  used a loop of velcro as a quick-and-dirty, removable splint.  doc was kinda impressed with the "device".  since then, I don't bother with xrays on stuff like this.  if it's not poking out, there's really nothing to be done but maybe tape it up.

semi-related:  I don't remember why I bought it, but I picked up one of those spandex "copperfit" sleeves, I think for my knee.  never worked as advertised, but it works great as a bandage wrap.  just carry it and some gauze pads and you can cover just about any gash until you get to the truck.  machine washable.  I've actually loaned it to buddies who've had some deep cuts, grazing stumps and whatnot.  don't have to worry about tape not sticking, and it gives some compression to the wound.

• Hook 'Em 2

got my ass beat on Wednesday, sailing, of all things.  one last jibe to get out of my gusty cove, and got slammed into the white caps, then turtled; then turtled again when I got it back up, rinse and repeat, more times than I can remember.  obviously, I eventually got back, but I'm still just a ball of bruises and pulled muscles.

but I've been wanting to session this new section since I first saw it about a month ago, and I knew it'd be hero dirt, today.  almost every landing on this trail is off-camber, esp if you know how to jump--which I still don't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Some very big ride-offs there, sir. Three of them looked to have at least 3 feet of drop, so big ups from me.

What sort of rubber are you riding these days in that chunk? Tread looks pretty burly but I'm not astute enough to tell what it belongs to.

Just picked up a Minion DHR II MaxxTerra for my front tire as I didn't care for how the previous tire was behaving. There one second, going or gone the next.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:07 PM, wd40 said:

I did something similar, some years ago.  not that knuckle, but the next one further out on my ring finger, iirc.  used a loop of velcro as a quick-and-dirty, removable splint.  doc was kinda impressed with the "device".  since then, I don't bother with xrays on stuff like this.  if it's not poking out, there's really nothing to be done but maybe tape it up.

semi-related:  I don't remember why I bought it, but I picked up one of those spandex "copperfit" sleeves, I think for my knee.  never worked as advertised, but it works great as a bandage wrap.  just carry it and some gauze pads and you can cover just about any gash until you get to the truck.  machine washable.  I've actually loaned it to buddies who've had some deep cuts, grazing stumps and whatnot.  don't have to worry about tape not sticking, and it gives some compression to the wound.

Well, way upthread I did it to the last knuckle on my fu finger on my left hand.  Very similar bone chip to jw's on it.  Except mine had a tendon attached, so the bone was likely never knitting back.  

So, that chip is now screwed in.  That last knuckle is stiff and thus droops.  I don't know what it would have been like without the surgery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Some very big ride-offs there, sir. Three of them looked to have at least 3 feet of drop, so big ups from me.

What sort of rubber are you riding these days in that chunk? Tread looks pretty burly but I'm not astute enough to tell what it belongs to.

Just picked up a Minion DHR II MaxxTerra for my front tire as I didn't care for how the previous tire was behaving. There one second, going or gone the next.

Thanks, Braff.  that one drop is higher than my saddle, so about 3' to the base of the ledge.  the sloped landing zone adds at least a foot to that, depending on your speed and Red Bull level.  funmeter was prettymuch maxed on each of the four runs I took at it, but it felt like butter.  new fork, I guess.  and the Cascade link.

I run Minions, with a DHF 3C EXO Maxwhatever up front, and a DHR DoubleDown in the back, since I seem to be much harder on my back tire (rocky landings, etc.).  my brief racing days are way behind me, so I accept the major weight penalty in favor of not worrying about it.

fwiw, my riding bros that spend way more time reading and researching bike stuff are pimping Specialized Butchers as the next "best ever".

• Like 1