I just started watching game of thrones

tantric superman

7 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Well, I'm a sucker for "going west to the new world" type endings.

Wasn't near as good as the going west ending of Godless, but still.

Although made much more depressing by the "Go further north" destiny of you know who. 

When all is said and done, if it has magic and dragons, I'm not going to give it more than a B+.  I've got some weird visceral dislike of of these gimmicks.  Not sure why.  Maybe I'm just an unimaginative heartless bastard.

this pretty much describes my perspective in general, but i really liked how this series was initially based in reality (though it took place in a made-up world).  the good parts were characters and political and history and family - not fantasy and effects.

through the seasons, every time it wandered into wizards and warlocks and "magic and dragons" i lost interest, and waited for the other storylines.  eventually, i was just pot committed.

I don’t have a problem with a world where magic exists and dragons and undead are part of the magic. 

But figure out the laws of magic, stick to them, and don’t use them as deux ex machina over and over.

Have the people know or learn the laws of magic and make choices based on their knowledge or lack of. 

You have to work to make the fantastic believable, and they just used it as shortcuts.