RIP Art Neville

jimmyjazz

It's been a rough couple of years for the New Orleans music community.  Art Neville passed away today, barely a month after Dr. John and a little more than a year after Art's brother Charles Neville died.  Anyone who ever saw The Meters or The Neville Brothers can attest to the insane level of talent and groove that family possessed.  I spent many nights sweating my ass off at Liberty Lunch, dancing like a fool and grinning the whole time, thanks to Art, Charles, Aaron and Cyril.  RIP, sir.

Art Neville

• Like 3

Yeah, listening to Aaron sing a ballad is a religious experience.  Most shows I saw were closed with an a capella version of "Amazing Grace".

I'm pretty sure nobody ever gave Aaron shit for his voice.  Sounds like nobody who's ever walked the earth, and looks like Lawrence Taylor.

• Like 1

Art was truly one of a kind. I encourage everyone to read the book by David Ritz on the Neville Brothers. Right after Katrina, I ran into Cyril in the Circle C H-E-B. Dude had just moved here and I think he was taken aback that I knew who he was, but he was generous with his time as I told him how much his and his brothers music meant to me. Never missed a chance to see them when they came to town. Art will be greatly missed. 

• Like 2

That's cool you got to meet Cyril.  He has a real spirit on stage.

Here's one version of "Amazing Grace" -- not a capella, but still hits the heart in just the right spot.

(So in true New Orleans funeral tradition, this thread is already steering towards a celebration of the family, as it probably should.  Bring on the second line!)

Have I ever commented on the fact that Austin isn't fit to pick the corn out of New Orleans' stool as a "live music" capital?  Anyway, I digress.  The Neville Brothers:

Edited by jimmyjazz