Dallas | Italian

C-Man

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Was there last Monday for my birthday dinner. Pro tip, if you go in Resy you can set up a notification for a cancellation at a better hour on the night you want a table. 

our reservation originally was at 5:45. The night before I got an email around 8 pm that a 7 pm table opened up. Snatched it immediately. 

Lucia or Via Triozzi?

• 3 weeks later...

It was pretty good. The two starters we got (arancini and the whipped ricotta with grilled zucchini) were outstanding, my wife loved the salad (I enjoyed it but the dressing wasn’t my favorite) and she got the butternut squash ravioli in sage butter sauce. That was excellent. I was not overly happy with my bolognese tagliatelle. The server talked me out of the special that was clams with linguine in a butter sauce. Wish I’d gotten the special. The almond flour cake dessert was good as well. I did have two of the best Negronis that I’ve ever had anywhere. Fun spot. I’d like to go back with another couple to try more stuff.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:27 PM, C-Man said:

It was pretty good. The two starters we got (arancini and the whipped ricotta with grilled zucchini) were outstanding, my wife loved the salad (I enjoyed it but the dressing wasn’t my favorite) and she got the butternut squash ravioli in sage butter sauce. That was excellent. I was not overly happy with my bolognese tagliatelle. The server talked me out of the special that was clams with linguine in a butter sauce. Wish I’d gotten the special. The almond flour cake dessert was good as well. I did have two of the best Negronis that I’ve ever had anywhere. Fun spot. I’d like to go back with another couple to try more stuff.

This was kind of my take on it.  Pretty good.  It's not Lucia, but represented a much better value than, say, Carbone (which is ridiculous and absolutely not worth the $).  I'd go back, and enjoyed the meal, but wasn't overwhelmed.  

I really hate servers that have terrible recommendations. Most likely the waiter hates clams and has never eaten it.

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I really hate servers that have terrible recommendations. Most likely the waiter hates clams and has never eaten it.

Her reasoning made no sense. She said it was going to become a regular menu item in the next week or two so I should pick a regular dish that isn't going to be replaced? Confusing.

• 4 weeks later...

Wife saw some restaurant on TikTok called Casa Pollastro and wanted to give it a shot. Went there this Saturday and all I can say is fuck TikTok, fuck Keith Lee, and fuck getting any recommendations from that app. This place is billed as a Brazilian restaurant but they serve Italian food. It was the most underwhelming restaurant I've ever been to and at $35 a person you'd think there would be a dish worth ordering over and over and over again like you can do at Fogo. Nope. It was dogshit.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:46 AM, HRSchenker said:

Wife saw some restaurant on TikTok called Casa Pollastro and wanted to give it a shot. Went there this Saturday and all I can say is fuck TikTok, fuck Keith Lee, and fuck getting any recommendations from that app. This place is billed as a Brazilian restaurant but they serve Italian food. It was the most underwhelming restaurant I've ever been to and at $35 a person you'd think there would be a dish worth ordering over and over and over again like you can do at Fogo. Nope. It was dogshit.

I didn't know who Keith Lee was until a couple of weeks ago. Then I found out he's a MMA/UFC fighter of some sort who does food reviews now. I appreciate the hustle but why would I listen to anything this cat says about food?

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I didn't know who Keith Lee was until a couple of weeks ago. Then I found out he's a MMA/UFC fighter of some sort who does food reviews now. I appreciate the hustle but why would I listen to anything this cat says about food?

He was in Houston a month or two ago and I hadn’t heard of him until then. He seems like a nice enough guy with a message of supporting local businesses, but his actual reviews have almost zero substance.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, we went to La Stella Cucina Verace last night.

it is across the street from the Myerson on Flora in the Arts District.

Everything about the experience was incredible. Solo live music performer who understands she is background music. Smallish restaurant. Great atmosphere.

As we were talking with the waitress, the GM came over introduced himself. Engaged him in about a 10 minute conversation. He went into who the owner is, how the owner goes to Italy at least 3 times a year to take in different restaurants, how the owner took the managerial staff to other Italian restaurants in North Texas to continue to get ideas.

The food? Delicious.

We started with wha they call, PB&J. It is prosciutto di parma, with burrata and a fig jam. Great flavor that came together.

The entree we had was Agnolotti Pizzicati... a gnocchi filled with ossobuco, and a sage butter, veal reduction sauce.  Damn near perfection.

image.png.1c5fcaf020895fe0fca69915d49bdb83.png

Complimentary house made Limoncello.

Dessert was a Bundino Americano ... warm, white chocolate bread pudding with vanilla gelato.

Prices aren't too bad.

Exceptional food and service!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1