Jump to content
Goo Punch

Texas vs UAB- 7pm on LHN

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Texas is -14. Take UAB and the points. 

I dunno. They kicked Bryant off the team after three games; I could see their season going either way. They lost by 11 to Utah Valley, for example. On the other hand... yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I dunno. They kicked Bryant off the team after three games; I could see their season going either way. They lost by 11 to Utah Valley, for example. On the other hand... yeah.

i chortled. my thoughts exactly. maybe this will be the one game in five where everyone huts their shots and we win by 25. But then again...yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utah Valley is where the Mormons go when they're not Mormon enough to get into BYU**.

 

** Sorta, not really, but it is located in a suburb just outside of Provo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Shaka has been stressing to his team to get the ball into the paint at least one time in every possession." 

 

always important to eschew the natural flow of an offense for something that's largely inconsequential, particularly with our specific post options. great coaching Shaka. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas in trouble.  UAB plays a good inside game and will score consistent points while Texas will probably jack up threes and miss most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Texas in trouble.  UAB plays a good inside game and will score consistent points while Texas will probably jack up threes and miss most.

Cooking turkey tikka masala, so it's gonna be a good night no matter the outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Cooking turkey tikka masala, so it's gonna be a good night no matter the outcome.

Excellent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Drew always kicked out his right leg on 3-point shots, or is that something new?

Haven't observed it before, but he's done it on each of his three attempts tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love they keep playing a commercial for an event that already happened...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SDG said:

There’s a lot to like about this team.  

Defensive effort has been there. Given up some putbacks, but that's going to happen with the D we run.

Helps that Kai Jones has been playing like he's got four arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lineups / substitutions have been better this game ... much less of the 4 guard - no board lineup


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

"Shaka has been stressing to his team to get the ball into the paint at least one time in every possession." 

 

always important to eschew the natural flow of an offense for something that's largely inconsequential, particularly with our specific post options. great coaching Shaka. 

Getting the ball into the paint doesn't necessarily mean getting the ball to the post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Defensive effort has been there. Given up some putbacks, but that's going to happen with the D we run.

Helps that Kai Jones has been playing like he's got four arms.

This "no help" defensive strategy goes against everything I've ever known about basketball. I'm not sure I like it. Especially with bigs who are young (Jones & Baker), low IQ (Sims), and spastic (Hamm).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ is going to be an NBA draft pick next June. What a comeback. I just continue to be amazed by him and sincerely happy for him. 🤘🏼 AJ1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zork said:

can someone gif that ally oop to Jones?

Not a gif, but perhaps the embedded video can help a surly artist. If not it’s fun to watch anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zork said:

can someone gif that ally oop to Jones?

Not a gif, but perhaps the embedded video can help a surly artist. If not it’s fun to watch anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SDG said:

Not a gif, but perhaps the embedded video can help a surly artist. If not it’s fun to watch anyway.

 

Got dam, he got up there! Kai Jones will be huge to the arc of this year’s team. We have to have a second big that can play starter minutes. The 4 guard shit won’t work against most teams in conference. I’m glad Jones is starting to get regular minutes. Hopefully he can round into form by the meat of the conference schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

When was the last time a Texas game thread didn’t make it past the first page?

Talk about apathy and disinterest.

I didn't watch it live but  did go back and watch the next viewing on LHN late last night.  The effort is improved in general from last year.  Both Jones' were getting it done. 

Sims is quietly becoming a presence as well with some improved post moves and with a decent free throw shooting routine he looks to have developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This "no help" defensive strategy goes against everything I've ever known about basketball. I'm not sure I like it. Especially with bigs who are young (Jones & Baker), low IQ (Sims), and spastic (Hamm).

A lot of NBA teams have moved to a no-switching/no-help defense. The Warriors do it almost exclusively, and a few other teams use it frequently or occasionally, depending on situation. 

I do agree that you need high basketball IQ and effort to run it. And like you said, it's counter-intuitive to most of what I'm used to both playing and watching basketball. But it's definitely something that's coming and growing in popularity. 

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This "no help" defensive strategy goes against everything I've ever known about basketball. I'm not sure I like it. Especially with bigs who are young (Jones & Baker), low IQ (Sims), and spastic (Hamm).

"No Help" is a response to the fact that low post play is no longer the focal point of a lot of offenses. In theory, the improvement in 3-point defense by going "No Help" offsets the reduction in defensive efficiency in the paint. Which means, of course, you have to execute it properly, or you're hosed. But that's true of pretty much every offensive or defensive philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...